Exclusive: Legend Brian Boitano Raves About Working with Kinoshita Group Skaters at Recent Camp

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over 2 posts on April 14 from the Japanese news thread and adding an excerpt+photos from a April 29th Nikkan Sports article (requires a paid subscription to read in full):
Brian Boitano worked with skaters at the Kinoshita Academy: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5rvqiPpibL/

:lol: Sumitada Moriguchi’s video (“This is why Brian Boitano called me Sumitano”): https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5vbPziJZC2/
His photo with Boitano: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5vPDMtpoDf/

Article (subscription required to read in full): https://mainichi.jp/articles/20240410/k00/00m/050/352000c
Brian Boitano gave lessons at the Kinoshita Academy from April 9-12:
Translation of Hana Yoshida's quote plus an excerpt from the end:
``I was able to jump in a different way and gain a different perspective than before.'' [...]
True to the image of ``jumping with no waste'', I learned how to jump efficiently and with high reproducibility, such as stopping the leg that is away from the ice before completing a triple axel (three and a half revolutions). "I got a different perspective," he said, exuding a sense of fulfillment.
The academy students ... are scheduled to perform at the ice show "Bloom on Ice" (Kinoshita Academy Kyoto Ice Arena) on the 20th and 21st [of April]. There will be two performances a day (starting at 11:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.) for a total of four performances, and in addition to [Mone] Chiba and Yoshida, Koshiro Shimada and Shunsuke Nakamura will also appear.
Mao Shimada - ``I am practicing well'' I feel fulfilled by direct instruction from famous skater Mr. Boitano:
Brian Boitano's current appearance from the special lesson and his thoughts on the current skating world By Honoka Takemoto 2024.04.29 11:00

1988 Calgary Olympic gold medalist Brian Boitano (60) participated in the four-day event from April 9th to 12th, ahead of the ice show "Bloom on Ice" (April 20th and 21st, Kinoshita Academy Kyoto Ice Arena), gave a special lesson to Kinoshita Academy trainees in Uji City, Kyoto. This is the first attempt in Japan. His personality is reflected in the way he works closely with each student, passing on knowledge and techniques, and in an interview after practice, he revealed his honest thoughts on the current skating world. We will deliver the training session along with Mr. Boitano's words.

Laughter leaking from behind the door
Laughter could be heard coming from a conference room a few meters away. The time when Mr. Boitano is giving a lecture. The reporter said, ``That's all for today,'' and was unable to do anything other than rattling off the keyboard in a room a little far away, looking in the direction of the voice in agony.

Mr. Brian Boitano (far right) giving a lecture (Photo by Akika Fujio)
Mr. Brian Boitano (far right) giving a lecture (Photo by Akika Fujio)

I replay in my head the first five minutes of the conversation that took place during the tour.

That was several minutes ago. Mr. Boitano entered the conference room where the trainees were chatting, sat down on a chair, and asked an introductory question.

“Are there any players out there who do mental training? If so, please raise your hand.”

Hands are raised one by one. Smiling at the players who looked unsure, I asked them how to do it.

“I always try to think only that I can do it.”

"I get nervous when I think I can do it, so I'm approaching it as if it's the same as usual."

A variety of answers come back from different people. He nods, saying "good" to each word, and you can see the surprise and empathy in his eyes.

And a little silence. He continued, as if to meet the expectations of the players who were waiting for his next words.

"I started mental training when I was 17 years old. I think that was the most important thing in my skating life. So that I can perform well even in situations where I'm under pressure. That's what I'm going to talk about today."

Mental training straight from an Olympic gold medalist. Hearing the voices leaking from the conference room, it seemed like he was capturing everyone's hearts behind the pure white door.

"I want to teach you everything I've learned."
Wednesday, April 10th. Kinoshita Academy Kyoto Ice Arena was buzzing with energy at 11am.

2nd day of special lesson. Mr. Boitano said, ``He seemed nervous at first,'' but perhaps because it was only his second day, he didn't feel that way.

2 groups: 30 minutes of skating, 1 hour of jumping, 1 hour of song + spin. While making time for private lessons, I work with each student one-on-one, and through words, I share with them the ideal form that I have in mind. ``I want to teach you everything I've learned,'' he said, encouraging him to grow from outside the common sense of current players who come from different backgrounds.

If they can do what they advise, they will clap their hands and say, "Yes! Nice!", and if things don't go well, they will calm them down with a hearty laugh. At that voice, smiles bloomed all over Link. The 60-year-old's face showed no signs of fatigue after being on the ice for about five hours.

Speaking of Mr. Boitano, he is known for his signature technique, `Tano Jump,'' in which he jumps with one hand extended above his head. Many players took on the challenge during practice. When Sumitada Moriguchi [森口 澄士] and [島田高志郎が] Koshiro Shimada got down, the other players reached out to follow suit. When the player was tilting his head and unable to keep his balance, he said with a mischievous smile, I think you'll understand how difficult it is,'' and said,`Because I did it.If I tell you the secret of how to do it, I'll show you how to do it.'' I feel satisfied and it's fun," he said with a joyful expression. He enjoyed working with the players as he tried out a new technique that is named after his own.

62% [of article for paid subscribers] remaining ( 2087 characters/3346 characters)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information