Examples of skaters only doing a jump when they needed to

caseyedwards

What skater has talked about having a jump, Doing a jump a lot, but saying there’s no reason to do the jump in competition regularly but only when they needed to do it?!?

Can you say Witt and her triple loop she did at worlds in 1987?

Taso

What skater has talked about having a jump, Doing a jump a lot, but saying there’s no reason to do the jump in competition regularly but only when they needed to do it?!?

Can you say Witt and her triple loop she did at worlds in 1987?

Shen and Zhao throw quad salchow in salt lake city. Their only attempt in competition, and it was so close!

canbelto

I feel like many male skaters would avoid the triple axel if it wasn't a required element. Patrick Chan comes to mind ...

Marco

Well Kwan spoke about upping the anti a lot when she was facing Slutskaya and finally attempted the lutz-loop at Skate Canada 2001 after she fell on the opening toe-toe (and fell on the loop as well).

Last edited:

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
Katerina Witt thought she need a Triple Flip in 1982. Then, it was gone forever.

Sarah Hughes and the triple toe-triple loop rarely came to play.

Ashley Wagner had a Triple Flutz-Triple loop in 2008 and disappeared.
Alissa Czisny had a Triple Lutz-Triple Toe (UR) at Skate America and that combo disappeared.

Shen and Zhao’s quad attempt in 2002 was a good example mentioned above. It never came back.

all_empty

Ashley was also attempting 3T+3T with some regularity when she was seen as the third-best junior behind Caroline and Mirai.

Michelle landed her last 3Lo at 2004 Worlds, I believe. She may have landed it at one or two cheesefests afterwards, but it was gone by 2005. She also added the 3Lz+2Lo in 2002.

Irina's 3Lz+3Lo was MIA for a few seasons but she nailed it at 2005 Worlds. Miki took the same combo out of her repetoire for awhile because she getting a double penalty on it for awhile but I think she landed it at a few championships.

Debi Thomas didn't land the 3Lo often but she hit it at 88 Nationals.

And of course Midori landed her second 3A in her Olympics freeskate, securing a silver with it.

all_empty

A few more:

Caryn Kadavy landed a 3Lo at a pro-am in maybe 93-94 to win the title. She was only planning a double.

Nancy Kerrigan threw in a 3T+3T a few times to up her ante -- 91 Worlds, 93 Worlds, and throughout the Olympic season (Piruetten and the Olympics). She also added the 3Lo in 92, I believe.

Kristi Yamaguchi landed her nemesis jump -- the 3S -- at 90 Skate America and 92 Nationals.

Of course, Tonya's 3A at Nationals in 91.

Trenary's 3F was never super solid but she landed it when she really needed it -- 90 Nationals and Worlds.

Rina RUS

Yagudin and Tarasova about Hanyu's jump (Rostelecom Cup 2018, FS):

Y: Tatiana Anatolievna, we note oftentimes, that one should think when he skates. He did a jump before our eyes - unfortunately, the landing wasn't really good - he had planned to jump the combination with 3T there, but he guessed he could do euler and 3S instead. It means he controls the situation, his head keeps working - at every moment.
T: This is the main thing for a single skater: his head should work, because a head sends an impulse to legs when it is necessary. Skating with no head is impossible.
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...exei-Yagudin&p=2272870&viewfull=1#post2272870

Sorry, that I don't add a link, but as far as I remember, Yagudin also tells about a dialogue with Mishin. Mishin asked: "What is consistency?" Yagudin answered: "10 out of 10 jumps." Mishin said: "No. A skater is consistent, if he jumps only once, but he does it in the right moment." Sorry, I don't remember where it was, so... just "as far as I remember".

aliceanne

Carol Heiss practiced a triple loop in the 1960's. She did so in case Sjouke Dykstra added a triple toe to her competition programs. Dykstra never did, so Heiss never used her triple in competition either.

ETA: actually it was the 1950’s, she retired in 1960.

Last edited:

floskate

Vacant
The only time I ever saw Brian Orser do a triple loop was at Calgary in 1988. His 1987 Worlds winning LP does not have that jump in there. Anyone know of any other comp where he landed it? Maybe Canadians the same year? It certainly was not a staple jump in his repertoire throughout the 80's though.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I feel like many male skaters would avoid the triple axel if it wasn't a required element. Patrick Chan comes to mind ...

Also Stephane Lambiel. He often struggled with the 3A, although he landed the quads (toeloop and sal chow) with ease.

Erin

Banned Member
The only time I ever saw Brian Orser do a triple loop was at Calgary in 1988. His 1987 Worlds winning LP does not have that jump in there. Anyone know of any other comp where he landed it? Maybe Canadians the same year? It certainly was not a staple jump in his repertoire throughout the 80's though.

He landed it at 1987 Skate Canada, but that may be the only other time. I have never found a recording of 1988 Canadians (when Debbi Wilkes showed 88 Canadians on Retro Ice Time, she chose to show Orser’s SP over his free) but according to Kurt Browning’s autobiography, both he and Orser skated very poorly so odds are that he didn’t land the loop there.

SpeedySucks

He landed it at 1987 Skate Canada, but that may be the only other time. I have never found a recording of 1988 Canadians (when Debbi Wilkes showed 88 Canadians on Retro Ice Time, she chose to show Orser’s SP over his free) but according to Kurt Browning’s autobiography, both he and Orser skated very poorly so odds are that he didn’t land the loop there.

Orser doubled the loop. Definitely not the best night for either one of them:

Browning: https://youtu.be/ENmjVmjDDW4
Orser: https://youtu.be/jGVce61HbPY

Erin

Banned Member
Orser doubled the loop. Definitely not the best night for either one of them:

Browning: https://youtu.be/ENmjVmjDDW4
Orser: https://youtu.be/jGVce61HbPY

Thanks, I should have known you would have it. I have seen Browning’s skate and yes, it was not a night to relive for him either. I seem to recall that part of the issue was that the ice had started melting.

The flip was really not a good jump for Orser that season either. He doubled it at both Skate Canada and Canadians, so it’s probably not totally surprising that he had the step out in it in Calgary. The only time all season he landed it cleanly was in the long at Worlds in Budapest.

LarrySK8

Yamaguchi and the triple salcow.
Scott Hamilton and the triple flip.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information