Eurovision 2016: We Can('t) All Be Heroes

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
I am not sure if I made the right decision but before casting my final votes I wanted to have a look at the videos. I am already sure I am going to regret that deeply in the next 20 minutes or so.

The Finnish entry could have been decent under some other circumstances but after two minutes in the next video I barely remember it actually. But it does sound to some extent, if you know what I mean.

Tell me, is that man with the hairy chest going to run in circles on the stage in Stockholm? The Greek one? If so, that would probably be the only decent thing about the song. Why on earth is the camera so fixed on his swaying erm breasts? I presume it takes the same view on the issue as myself.

Moldovan lady looks a tiny bit like Emily Blunt. Have seen the Huntsman today and just couldn't help noticing this slight resemblance. Other than that - let the mortal kombat erm the shouting begin. I suddenly grasped the idea of this Eurovision - it's like a CD of dance songs and disco ballads for the party in your backyard. Good, if you are in your 20s. Unfortunately, I am almost 40.

Freddie from Hungary - I recall one of my students is fond of unshaven men with a gravelly voice. I am considering sharing the video with her. Somehow I cannot discern a single word in his song but I like his manly looks. Will do, I believe :p

Oh gosh, what's up with the Croatian lady? Gravity has run amok and Sandra Bullock has spent a century or so in the open space alone? Complete mismatch of looks and voice in my opinion. Kinda like her singing but video spoils the impression a bit.

The Netherlands remind me of something. I believe they remind me about every Eurovision contest so far - there's always been some generic ballad on generic issues even if it's sung with voice and passion.

Ooooooooh oooooooh is a perfect cliche of the exUSSR pop music. Want ambience, feel, passion - sing ooooooh. Sometimes it does help. This time it will be the only thing I remember about Armenian song.

Wow, what a trip down Memory Lane from San Marino. I found myself picturing younger me, about 7 years or so, sitting in front of the black and white telly with my parents watching some "exotic" (at those times) contest of capitalist music. Kudos for that. But I really wonder if he is going to make it into the Finals.

Muscled Lazarev, topless in bed.:rolleyes: I hear he fainted not so long ago at one of the concerts. I remember I saw him at the opening of one of the malls in my city. No improvement since then. The song is catchy though and this is in tune with Eurovision crowds, nothing else is needed.

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
Czech Republic's song is a bit frantic. In all respects. And that shouting is going to make me deaf. I regret putting on headphones.

Cyprus is going on with shouting. There's a dog I see. Will it be on the stage? I love dogs. I am about to support the dog's howling. My shepherd got interested. Unlike me. The song is good, but it's so much of a cliche, heard tons of times before, recycled again and again. Made a note to share the video with my student - the man has gravelly voice and is unshaven.

Zoe makes me believe that somewhere loin d'ici there still are beautiful singers and songs with profound meaning. Careless song, easy, nice, reminds me a bit about Lena with her Satellite. Just what this contest needs this year - sweety relaxation after all the trash. My ears sing with Zoe. Could not refrain from listening to it for the second time in a row. If she wins, I will be happy as a kid. Made a mental note to have a look at the institutions which offer CELTA courses in Austria somewhere around May 2017.

No, I can't bear with Estonian singer. No way.

Azerbaijan - what for such erm expressive lips movements? The rest of the face and body is pretty much expressionless, if we don't notice the repetitive pulling movement by the right hand. I hope this will not be the case live.

Okay, I have the privilege of skipping Montenegro right away. I can't vote for this song anyway and I wouldn't even if I could.

Iceland is regrettably all about revelling in a backyard. Pity, I remember they had very decent singers whom I used to love.

Is that device called violoncello? I love Serbian language, it is melodic in istelf, but that rap amidst the Bosnian song is just out of the place. It is the ruin of the song. And that slavic popular yeaah in the end.....

Malta is leaving me speechless. Not the song. I got used already. I am already thinking of the fact that it's the first time I have chosen 10 countries to award points and 10 scores to give overall. Even last year I had to choose.

Eden

{{{Romanian singer}}}

Hovi Star (Israel) shares his homophobic incident at the Russian airport in Maltese tv talkshow.
First one to talk about the incident was the Spanish singer Barei. Earlier this week, in an interview to a Spanish newspaper La Vaungardia, Barei revealed that Hovi suffered humiliating treatment from border guards at Moscow airport because he was wearing a makeup.
“They laughed at him and they left his passport invalid, and then they didn’t even look at any of the passports from the others”, Barei commented.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
So since Romania is out, could you choose another country @Aerobicidal ? And anyone in Semi 2 who voted for Romania should probably revise your votes too. There aren't many of you in fairness. :shuffle:

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
So Romania has been disqualified from this year's Eurovision because it's broadcaster hasn't paid its fees to the EBU.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=tvr_romania_no_longer_entitled_to_take_part_in_eurovision_2016

I wonder if they could make this decision earlier? With the wheels already set in motion I can perfectly understand how frustrated the Romanian singer must feel. I believe this makes the Eurovision 2016 CD unique to some extent, as the song can't possibly be withdrawn from it in any way at this time.

{{{Romanian singer}}}

Hovi Star (Israel) shares his homophobic incident at the Russian airport in Maltese tv talkshow.
First one to talk about the incident was the Spanish singer Barei. Earlier this week, in an interview to a Spanish newspaper La Vaungardia, Barei revealed that Hovi suffered humiliating treatment from border guards at Moscow airport because he was wearing a makeup.
“They laughed at him and they left his passport invalid, and then they didn’t even look at any of the passports from the others”, Barei commented.

Tolerance have never been an intrinsic feature of the Russian character. Anything or anyone that doesn't conform with the rather perverted common sense standards here always provokes raised eyebrows and laughs at the very best. I believe this is exactly what happened in Moscow. While it may understandably be shocking for the outsiders, for us it's a norm about which we can't obviously do anything. Anyone still thinks bringing Eurovision 2017 to Moscow is a good idea?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Thanks to everyone who has voted so far! If I could get anyone else who hasn't sent me votes to do so by this weekend, I'd really appreciate it. :)

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Am hoping to have the votes by tomorrow evening so if everybody who hasn't voted could do so I'd appreciate it. :)

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Eurovision final will be broadcast live on U.S. TV for the first time.

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) is pleased to announce that it has signed a deal to broadcast the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final live in the United States for the first time.

Logo, part of Viacom’s Music & Entertainment Group including VH1, MTV and Comedy Central, will air the Grand Final of the 61st Eurovision Song Contest live on Saturday 14 May at 1500 EST. Logo, the United States’ lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) cable network, is available in nearly 50 million homes.

The Grand Final will also be streamed exclusively in the U.S. on LogoTV.com and the LogoTV mobile app.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Bummer, I don't get LOGO. I hope the fact they sold tv rights doesn't mean they'll block live streaming.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
OK, everyone who signed up to vote in Semi 1 has done so. I'm now going to reveal who our FSU's ten qualifiers in no particular order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information