Eurovision 2016: We Can('t) All Be Heroes

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
The 2016 finale is just under five months away, so I think it's time to start the discussion, which I hope to be more involved with than I have been previously.

The Melodifestivalen entries have already been announced and I am particularly excited for the return of Dolly Style and the fact that Samir & Viktor's song is called "Swim Naked."

One of my life goals is to attend Eurovision live, but since I'm going to Euros for skating this year, I think it's going to have to wait. In the meantime, let's bring the voids, the trash, the class, and the crazy Eastern Eurochoices to FSU!

Finnice

Whee, this thread makes me believe that spring will finally come and we will survive the darkness!:cheer2: I hope there will a lot of :glamor: and :drama: in the next year's competition. Finland will be likely to send something flat this year.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Albania as usual were the first to pick their entry over the New Year. They will be represented by Eneda Tarifa singing "Përrallë" (or a revamped version of it/something completely different).

Kaliopi (Eurovision 2012) will be returning to sing for Macedonia this year and Deen (Eurovision 2004) of "In The Tesco Disco" fame will be back for Bosnia-Herzegovina along with Dalal Midhat-Talakić & Ana Rucner.

Armenia will be represented by Iveta Mukuchyan, Cyprus by Minus One, Georgia by Nika Kocharov & Young Georgian Lolitaz :eek:, Montenegro by Highway, and Netherlands by Douwe Bob.

Ireland rumours today is that we will be represented by Nicky Byrne, the good looking one from Westlife who didn't really get to sing main vocals very much. :shuffle:

Last edited:

shah

Shhh... shhh...
Let me just add that Nika Kocharov & Young Georgian Lolitaz is an indie rock band consisting of four guys. Oh, the irony :D.

Btw, it's great that @Aerobicidal started this thread! No news so far about the Polish representative, but I'm certain that milkmaids and a girl in a wheelchair will be hard to beat.

The Albanian song is quite decent, but it will surely be heavily revamped before the actual contest.

Nicky Byrne, seriously? :D Why not Brian McFadden? :soapbox:

Finnice

Finland announced their candidates yesterday. 18 soloist/bands/duos. I have not had time to listen to them yet, but it does not look very promising. Let's hope some new name to me will be a pleasant surprise.
But no Nightwish or anything else internationally known.:rolleyes::duh:

Finnice

I can confirm that Finland is going to send a bad song this year - unless a couple of people learn to sing/are autotuned:scream: or they change some arragements. Or do not sing in Finnish. Sorry guys, I love our language, but nobody else understands it.
There are some real lyrical gems like a song called Poom Poom. That is how the guy´s heart goes when he sees a hot girl. And it is one of the better ones.:drama:
We also have gay camp:40beers: , lesbian freedom song :cheer2: and 16-year-old twins (female):rofl:. But the songs and singing are so meh.

shah

Shhh... shhh...
There are some real lyrical gems like a song called Poom Poom. That is how the guy´s heart goes when he sees a hot girl. And it is one of the better ones.:drama:
We also have gay camp:40beers: , lesbian freedom song :cheer2: and 16-year-old twins (female):rofl:. But the songs and singing are so meh.

It sounds very promising :D.

I had just enough time to listen to Estonian candidates - some really good songs there. Here's the recap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOTzpebcXo
I really like Laura's song and I wouldn't be surprised to see her win. Plus there are loads of hipster electronica, some folk, a few typical dance tunes, a John Newman clone etc.

Meanwhile in Poland: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-out-of-Eurovision-in-row-over-media-law.html
I'm so ashamed of my country and the ruling party... OGAE Poland claims that we will be in Sweden for sure, but such rumours generate very negative publicity. Embarrassing!

Finnice

^Indeed some good songs in Eesti Laul. Radionova's older sister seems to be competing with number 16. I could totally imagine Radioova herself representing Russia there, too!

Shah, I am so sorry for the situation in Poland now. I just can imagine what Ziggy would have said. :yikes:Courage for you!

shah

Shhh... shhh...
I can confirm that Finland is going to send a bad song this year - unless a couple of people learn to sing/are autotuned:scream: or they change some arragements. Or do not sing in Finnish. Sorry guys, I love our language, but nobody else understands it.

Oh my, I went through a recap of the songs. Well, how to put it mildly - not many potential ESC hits ;). I liked "Ain't Got Time for Boys." As for the rest - the horror, the horror! "Poom Poom" is pathetic (the lyrics, come on!), the gay camp track is unbearably forgettable (the best thing about the song is the hot bearded guy in the video :p), the twins scared me a bit. Which one is lesbian freedom song?

Thanks for support, I definitely need it, for the political situation is far from perfect. I reckon that Ziggy's comment would have to be heavily censored ;).

Last edited:

sweetsparky

Good Ice Dance = THE SEX
Spanish candidates songs have been revealed. In resume: mostly Spainful :scream:

The one I personally like (or can stand) more is Salvador Beltrán´s "días de alegría" (joy days) but it´s too Spanish IMO. Of the three songs in English I think the better is Barei ´s "Say Yay!", it starts strong and then is a bit reiterative, can work but I am not very fond of her :shuffle:. María Isabel presents the same song I posted earlier, it´s ok for Spanish radio but would need a lot of work. The poor guy Maverick had promised a Juan Magán´s work (a singer and producer that usually works "electric latino") but what can you say of a song with lyrics about the breakfast cookies smiling him :rofl: (are they high at 6:30 am? :p ). Xuxo Jones´"Victorious" is a Schlager that got lost of Melodifestivalen preliminaries and found itself far South, and finally Electric Nana´s "now" is a song that I forgot one minute after listening it, I am fond of her so :(

This is one of the best links I have found with all the songs (enter - and play - at your own risk ;) )

Last edited:

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Gazillion depressions. Terry Wogan, the best and snarky Eurovision commentator at the BBC for many years has died. :fragile:

sweetsparky

Good Ice Dance = THE SEX
Watching Spanish song selection Gala.

I don´t really like any the songs :(

Loreen :inavoid: It just started and I know this is going to be the coolest moment of all the Gala.

ETA: Loreen is part of the Jury (their votes will mean 60% of the score, 40% televoting). Loreen, we trust you :drama:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Last edited:

handomi

Change to the voting format for this year

My understanding is that all the jury points will be read out first and then the aggregate scores for each country will be read out individually. It could make for some very interesting movement on the leaderboard at the end. :lol:
This jury judging at eurovision is one BIG JOKE. Last year Italy should have won by people votes, and judges made after that a lot to throw them from winning it. And they had the best song by a mile at this event.

sweetsparky

Good Ice Dance = THE SEX
Juries votes are done before the gala no conspirancy there.

Best song last year was Norway :saint: then Italy. Sweden had a great stage presentation.

I am not sure how this new voting system will play on TV. I hope it doesn't slow the show a lot.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
This jury judging at eurovision is one BIG JOKE. Last year Italy should have won by people votes, and judges made after that a lot to throw them from winning it. And they had the best song by a mile at this event.

Oh dear God, lighten up. It's a light entertainment TV show and not friggin life or death.

And I think you'll find Belgium had by far the best song last year. :p

poths

Ireland rumours today is that we will be represented by Nicky Byrne, the good looking one from Westlife who didn't really get to sing main vocals very much. :shuffle:
Poor chap has not aged well and his attempt to sing live on the Ray Darcy show was deplorable. RTE, you are a sham. Have we literally no one that would do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information