Eden Prairie (Minnesota) figure skating coach charged with criminal sexual conduct with minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
https://www.hennepinattorney.org/news/news/2018/january/incantalupo-thomas-cplt
A 47-year-old figure skating coach was charged with several counts of criminal sexual conduct for having sex with one of his students, who was 14 years old when the abuse began, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Thursday.
Thomas Joseph Incantalupo, of St. Louis Park, was charged with one count of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and four counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct. He is expected to make his first appearance Friday.
“As a father and a former coach of young women, this conduct, if proven in court, deserves the severest penalty possible,” Freeman said. “The trust this young girl, and her parents, put in Mr. Incantalupo was abused and that should never have happened. We will be filing for aggravated circumstances which will allow a judge to hand down a higher sentence if he is convicted.”
His coaching history is listed here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-incantalupo-mfs-88121a34
:mad:

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

:D Incantalupo ... wolf-trapper (hunter)...:rofl:

Not a good thing, but i wonder if the girl was "in love with him".

Last edited:

5Ali3

Not a good thing, but i wonder if the girl was "in love with him".

No. The criminal complaint is quite clear about that.

Aside from that, this was an unnecessary question, quotation marks or not. It doesn't change the situation. The athlete in question was fourteen.

As long as we're here: sexual contact between a coach and an athlete of of any age is sexual abuse according to SafeSport: the power differential between coach and student is such that even if a skater is over the age of consent in a state, even if the skater is over the age of 18, it is not an equal relationship. (There's a potential exception for a coach and an adult skater of similar ages, but it's not a blanket exception, because the coach is still in a position of authority and trust.)

Coaches: don't do this to your athletes. Don't abuse the trust your athlete has in you and your position of authority over them, even if you think your college aged athlete is "in love with you." Even if you think you're "in love" with her/him. It's abuse. Don't do it.

Athletes: if this has happened to you, you are not alone. It's not your fault and not your responsibility, and you didn't do anything wrong, regardless of what you've been told. It has happened to too many of us and we've worked hard to change the culture of figure skating to ensure that there are consequences for this type of behavior, including when the athlete is/was over 18. Coaches who do this kind of thing do it to multiple athletes over the years and they need to be stopped. If you are a current athlete, do not be afraid that reporting will affect how you are judged or called or evaluated for international assignments. Your coach may have promised you that they and only they can help you achieve your goals. They're lying. There are many coaches who will help you without hurting you.

The SafeSport Helpline, run by RAINN, is available 24/7 by phone, chat, and mobile app. The USOC Athlete Ombudsman is also available to talk to athletes.

Reports of sexual misconduct can be made anonymously directly to USOC via an online form; up to 1GB of evidence can be uploaded as part of that form.

Violations of SafeSport that do not involve sexual misconduct are submitted directly to U.S. Figure Skating (safesport @ usfigureskating.org). Reports can be anonymous (create a anonymous email account!) and the identity of the reporter is not shared with the person reported.

If you believe you are witnessing abuse or other violations of SafeSport in your rink, please report. This behavior is never okay and it's extremely damaging to athletes. Looking the other way means you're part of the problem: be part of the solution.

If this has happened to you, there are resources available to help you. You are not alone. It is empowering to break your silence, to give voice to your experiences, regardless of what choices you make about reporting. There are people who will help you: please reach out to them.

chapis

As long as we're here: sexual contact between a coach and an athlete of of any age is sexual abuse according to SafeSport: the power differential between coach and student is such that even if a skater is over the age of consent in a state, even if the skater is over the age of 18, it is not an equal relationship. (There's a potential exception for a coach and an adult skater of similar ages, but it's not a blanket exception, because the coach is still in a position of authority and trust.)

Really? but Morozov...:confused:

5Ali3

The PSA suspended Tom Incantalupo yesterday, "pending final hearing panel decision" (which usually, although not always, occurs after the conclusion of the criminal case when one is involved). Mad props to PSA for acting so quickly.

Really? but Morozov...:confused:

Morozov was reported to and investigated by law enforcement for his relationship with his current, uh, young woman. My information, which is third-hand, is that they lied about when the relationship began and law enforcement wasn't able to pin anything on him. I don't know if he was reported to SafeSport; because none of the, uh, young athletes have been U.S. Figure Skating members (and I'm not certain if Morozov is), it's tough to catch him. He is under close observation from what I have been told.

Law, culture, and U.S. Figure Skating policies have developed significantly over the past 10-15 years. Some of what Morozov got away with a decade ago, he wouldn't get away with now. It can be very difficult to prove a sexual relationship and, prior to SafeSport, some of the observable signs of an inappropriate relationship were not punishable (driving an athlete, having an athlete in the coach's home, being in a locker room or office alone with an athlete, even staying with an athlete at a competition wasn't grounds for discipline).

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Sadly, this nothing new in US figure skating. For example, whatever happened to ice-dance coach Sretenski?

Tinami Amori

Law, culture, and U.S. Figure Skating policies have developed significantly over the past 10-15 years. Some of what Morozov got away with a decade ago, he wouldn't get away with now. It can be very difficult to prove a sexual relationship and, prior to SafeSport, some of the observable signs of an inappropriate relationship were not punishable (driving an athlete, having an athlete in the coach's home, being in a locker room or office alone with an athlete, even staying with an athlete at a competition wasn't grounds for discipline).
What the are you talking about.... Morozov is a Russian citizen, his young wife is a Russian citizen (besides the fact that she was after him from the start while he had another relationship)..... What does US policies and culture and law have to do with citizens of another country (unless they break the laws with a US citizen)? In Russia age of consent is 16.... by the way.

By your logic, if a representative arrives to USA from a middle-eastern country, with his legal 4 wives, he'll be arrested for polygamy? never happened....

it's tough to catch him. He is under close observation from what I have been told.
... well, "the observers" are wasting their time..... nothing "local" is as "good" as this one... :D
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcpaBkIhrZW/?hl=en&taken-by=vdavankova

Last edited:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I got a PSA email notification of the suspension this afternoon, thanks for providing the info.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
What the are you talking about.... Morozov is a Russian citizen, his young wife is a Russian citizen (besides the fact that she was after him from the start while he had another relationship)..... What does US policies and culture and law have to do with citizens of another country (unless they break the laws with a US citizen)? In Russia age of consent is 16.... by the way.

Morozov works for a large part of the year in the US in New Jersey. US law absolutely applies to him while he works in the US.

The age of consent in a large part of the US is also 16 (and it is here, too). However, there is a massive difference between two 16 year olds on an equal standing, and a 16 year old and an adult who is in a position of power over the minor, which anyone with a brain would know.

It's sickened me for quite a while that Morozov's predatory behaviour - preying on young, vulnerable women he is in a position of power over - is something that is almost celebrated, rather than looked down on.

Tinami Amori

Morozov works for a large part of the year in the US in New Jersey. US law absolutely applies to him while he works in the US.

The age of consent in a large part of the US is also 16 (and it is here, too). However, there is a massive difference between two 16 year olds on an equal standing, and a 16 year old and an adult who is in a position of power over the minor, which anyone with a brain would know.
We're talking about law. By law 2 Russian citizens, one being 16, have a right to have consensual sex and to marry. Her parents did not have a problem, why should USA.

misskarne

We're talking about law. By law 2 Russian citizens, one being 16, have a right to have consensual sex and to marry. Her parents did not have a problem, why should USA.

Her parents cannot consent to her rape or sexual exploitation, under the law. US law applies to Morozov and to his students while he is working in the United States. Quite a lot of his predatory behaviour occurred while they were in the United States.

Tinami Amori

Her parents cannot consent to her rape or sexual exploitation, under the law. US law applies to Morozov and to his students while he is working in the United States. Quite a lot of his predatory behaviour occurred while they were in the United States.
are you obtuse? she was 16, its the age of consent. If a middle-eastern man comes to USA with his 4 legal wives, will he be arrested for polygamy?

misskarne

are you obtuse? she was 16, its the age of consent. If a middle-eastern man comes to USA with his 4 legal wives, will he be arrested for polygamy?

She is 16 and the man is in a position of power over her. By law, she cannot consent in this situation. You're the one deliberately being obtuse. And the fact that you think it's okay says rather a lot about you.

Your example - he may be, if he intends to work/reside there and the law finds out. I'm not exactly a US legal expert.

Tinami Amori

She is 16 and the man is in a position of power over her. By law, she cannot consent in this situation. You're the one deliberately being obtuse. And the fact that you think it's okay says rather a lot about you.

Your example - he may be, if he intends to work/reside there and the law finds out. I'm not exactly a US legal expert.

learn to distinguish between "law" and "opinion"....
https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/new-jersey-age-of-consent-lawyers.html
In New Jersey, the age of consent for sexual conduct is 16 years old. This applies to both heterosexual and homosexual conduct. As a general matter, this means that a person who is 16 years old can generally consent to have sex with any adult, regardless of age.

misskarne

Here you go, two sources on the definition of statutory rape in New Jersey:

The Age of consent is raised to 18 if the older partner is a parent, guardian, sibling, a relative closer than a 4th cousin, or an individual with some authority over the younger party (for example, a teacher or the victim's boss).

According to this page it can also be included as "aggravated sexual assault".

Aggravated Sexual Assault
  • Victim is between the ages of 13 and 16 and you are a family member or have other control over them

Tinami Amori

Here you go, two sources on the definition of statutory rape in New Jersey:
According to this page it can also be included as "aggravated sexual assault".
look up def. of "aggravated sexual assault".....
https://definitions.uslegal.com/a/aggravated-sexual-assault/
Aggravated sexual assault is a felony sexual offense governed by state laws, which vary by state. It is typically defined as a sexual assault that maims, wounds, or disfigures the victim, or involves a victim who is physically or mentally incapacitated.

barbk

Vagabond

As long as we're here: sexual contact between a coach and an athlete of of any age is sexual abuse according to SafeSport: the power differential between coach and student is such that even if a skater is over the age of consent in a state, even if the skater is over the age of 18, it is not an equal relationship.
I know both you and SafeSport mean well, but I think Samuel Contesti, Geraldine Zulini, Tatiana Malinina, and Roman Skorniakov would all disagree with this statement, and with good reason.

Sylvia

TBD
Update (Jan. 12) after Thomas Incantalupo made his first court appearance on Friday: http://kstp.com/news/thomas-incantalupo-court-appearance-figure-skating-coach-sexual-abuse/4742104/
A Hennepin County judge set bail at $750,000. Prosecutors argued Incantalupo needs to stay behind bars because he's "a threat to public safety".
The Eden Prairie Police Department does not know of any additional victims.
Incantalupo's attorney and some of his friends and family members were in court on Friday, but declined to comment.
Incantalupo is due back in court on Feb. 15.

Tinami Amori

Not as straightforward as you might imagine, especially if one of those wives is below the age for statutory rape:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rriages-under-u-s-law/?utm_term=.820cd08939d8 (The author is a very highly regarded constitutional law professor, fwiw.)
This is a very interesting summary of such cases, i was looking for something like this to get a good overview of how it is handled, thanks! In case of Morozov/Davankova, they were "legal" by NJ laws given she was 16 at the time, and certainly are "legal" in Russia as per their citizenship.

wouldacoulda

I got a PSA email notification of the suspension this afternoon, thanks for providing the info.
I received the email as well. I hadn't heard of this coach before. I did see a recent announcement and apology directed to Robin Wagner, who was suspended some years back. Don't know the backstory, but if she was suspended in error, that certainly impacted her reputation and ability to earn a living.

aemeraldrainc

I received the email as well. I hadn't heard of this coach before. I did see a recent announcement and apology directed to Robin Wagner, who was suspended some years back. Don't know the backstory, but if she was suspended in error, that certainly impacted her reputation and ability to earn a living.

Robin Wagner was suspended?? What did I miss?

wouldacoulda

I missed this, too, but according to an old thread on MK Forum, Wagner was suspended for six months in 2009 for soliciting Angela Maxwell as a student when Maxwell was still being coached by Natalia Mishkutenok.
Pretty ironic, as the PSA has since had to change their rule about soliciting students (some FCC or FTC compliance thing). After years of being told that soliciting was unethical, it's now acceptable. I personally feel it's unethical, and would never do it.

mag

Pretty ironic, as the PSA has since had to change their rule about soliciting students (some FCC or FTC compliance thing). After years of being told that soliciting was unethical, it's now acceptable. I personally feel it's unethical, and would never do it.

I think the problem was the anti soliciting rule was often used by coaches to the detriment of skaters. The whole bit about having to leave your current coach before finding a new one is crazy. I can look for a new doctor, lawyer, hair stylist, daycare, trainer, etc etc without first severing all ties with my current one. Why should Figure Skating coaches be different? As the old saying goes, you can’t break up marriage unless one partner wants it. You can’t solicit a skater if they don’t want to change coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information