Don Klingbeil has passed away

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I figured this belonged here instead of GSD. He died in a car accident on the 13th.

In 2002, I was fitted for custom Klingbeil skating boots by Don's father, the late Bill Klingbeil. On the day I went to pick them up, Don proudly brought them out to me with one sitting up in a tissue festooned box, with a big smile on his face. He also insisted on mounting my new blades to insure they were done correctly and centered properly. Don was a delightful man, and this is a major loss for the skating world. RIP, friend. :(

https://www.facebook.com/donald.klingbeil.5

Debbie S

Bill fit me for my boots in Dec 2005. When they came a bit big, and I learned they would have a booth at Nats that Jan, I took them with me to try on/show them and Don was the one working the booth...he was a character, lol...and he just nodded his head when I tried them on and said, "I know what to do." I saw him a few times at comps after that and he always remembered me...I'm sure he remembered everyone who came to his shop.

The last time I saw him was 3 years ago at SA Regionals, when he and Will fitted me for Avantas, ahead of my needing them but no one locally fits them so I wanted to see them while they were close. I gently chided Don for moving the business out of Amtrak range. He seemed happy, I have no idea what went on with the business (I never ordered the skates b/c I cut down my skating and am not even skating at the moment, so my Klingbeils are still fine) but I hope he knew how much he was admired and loved in the skating community. RIP.

livetoskate

I never met Don but he and his company sure made the best boots. I'm still wearing old Klingbeils and have a new pair that was ordered whem they were going out of business. The Klingbeils fit so much better than other brands. Their storefront in NY was tiny and old, but full of skating history. RIP to a skating legend, Don Klingbeil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information