Denis' Friends - July 20, Almaty - Memorial show to Honor Denis' Memory

livetoskate

Thank you. What a well-written, detailed article about Denis' competitive career. (Though there's a typo where the writer refers to the 2014 Olympics when it should be 2018.) I had no idea Denis had so many injuries, including to his toe just a couple of weeks before the 2018 Olympics. After reading this article, I'm in even more awe of all Denis accomplished in his 25 years of life.

Sylvia

TBD
Just came across this today... a 13 year old girl who attended Denis' Friends filmed portions of the show from the upper part of the arena and uploaded 2 videos of 22 minutes apiece:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqdv6LtRe5M
Video of Denis (from a film?) leads into opening group number; Takahito Mura; Sergei Voronov; Dabin Choi; footage spanning Denis' career as shown on the arena's Jumbotron.

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_6pU9c1lxY
More footage highlighting Denis' career leads into Elena Buianova and Frank Carroll being introduced in the audience; Sofia Shevchenko/Igor Eremenko; Alexander L. & Phillip Warren (acrobatic duo); Elena Radionova; Roman Savosin.

3 minute Almaty TV news report on the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETPUPQlPfuQ

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Mao writes a column article every month on a Japanese sports graphic magazine 'Number'. Here is my rough translation of her article published on the latest issue (this month), in which she mentioned Denis and the tribute show. Seems Ten-chan is the way how she called/calls him.

To the first anniversary of Ten-chan's death

I'm back from Kazakhstan. July the 19th was the first anniversary of Ten-chan's death. A tribute ice show was held there on the 20th.

Ten-chan's mother made the show happen by contacting the skaters from all over the world. From Japan me and [Takahito] Mura-kun took part in it. We had intensive rehearsals for two days. On the second day we had a dinner party as well. After the dinner we visited Ten-chan's monument to offer flowers to his spirit and also visited his grave. Dai-chan (Daisuke Takahashi) was with us from the party to the visit to his grave.

The ice show was held at an all-season ice arena which was built in Almaty three years ago. Probably 4,000-5,000 people were in the rink to see the show. 10 skaters(teams), both pro and amateur, came together to skate in the show including Canada's Weaver/Poje, Russia's Elena Radionova, USA's Jeremy Abbott.

I skated three group numbers and two solo numbers. When I got the first contact from his mother, I asked her "Which number do I skate?" Her answer was "I want Mao to skate 'Singin' in the Rain' which Denis loved the most." It was the program he skated as an exhibition number in the past. Since I wanted to skate the program just like he did, I made a replica costume and took it with me to Kazakhstan. The other solo number was my own program 'Winds Beneath My Wings'. For that number musicians played the music live and a singer sang the song. It made me feel great to skate to their live performance.

We also danced to the musics that Ten-chan made as well as to his recorded singing voice. I felt he was there with us even though we could not see him.

I used to skate with him in many ice shows. Also I would train with him since when I was training under Tatiana [Tarasova] in Russia, he was there too. There were times when we worked with Lori [Nichol] on choreography around the same time. On those occasions we played tennis together or went out for meals. He was a man who had a strong sense of justice, he was friendly to everyone, and he was the life of the party. In 2014 when he held his own first ice show in Kazakhstan, it was Denis and his mother who did everything to organize the show. I observed closely their extraordinary efforts for the show. They even made arrangements for skaters' flight tickets. He always gave his 100% and he was a hard worker.

Last year when the incident happened, I could not believe it... I never thought the murder would happen. I said to myself "Whyyy?" I could not accept it. I did not want to accept it. I had stayed away from believing it for a long time. That said, this time when I visited Kazakhstan, Ten-chan was not there, his video was shown on a screen through the dinner party, we visited the place where the incident happened, and all of this finally made me realize that he's gone.

Figure skating world is a very small community. We all are fellow skaters, who have worked hard in this sport, who competed together at international competitions, and who skated together in ice shows. It was so heartbreaking that such a friend was murdered. It was an incident that made not only me sad but also people in figure skating world from all over the world, the people across Kazakhstan, and people all over the world. Although I believe it's his family who were facing the toughest time, I was a bit relieved to see his mother had recovered to feel like holding an ice show. I was glad I could come and talk with her again. It was really nice that I was given a chance to visit there.

There I re-discovered that there are lots of things that he left. As a nation wide star he gave dreams to lots of children. His legacy obviously remains there including his musics, his voices, and his achievements.

By the way, now I'm working as a 'charity personality' for '24 hours TV' (note: a Japanese well known charity TV show to be aired live for 24 hours), which is my new challenge. Right now I'm working hard on tap dance to perform during the live show together with kids with hearing difficulties. Tap dance is tough for me since it's very different from figure skating. But tap dance is fun!

Triple loop

Thank you again, Rosewood, for the translation of Mao’s article. I found it very insightful and appreciate her honesty. She seemed very close to Denis and his mom. I loved her 2 performances at the tribute show eso. Singing in the Rain. That’s awesome that she writes an article every month. I look forward to reading more if you have the time again, Rosewood. Much appreciated. 😉

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
There will be a broadcasting of the show in Kazakhstan tomorrow. :cheer2:

google translation
denistenshow
August 31 at 19:00 on the Khabar TV channel will be shown an ice show in memory of "Friends of Denis"

# denisten #denisten #denistenshow #denistenforever

ETA:
There will be also a preview prior to the broadcasting of the show.
google translation
denistenshow
August 31 at 18:45 (Astana time) on the Khabar TV channel showing the preface to the ice show in memory of Denis’s
friends д
# denisten #denisten #denistenshow #denistenforever

ETA:

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Couldn't see the broadcast from my country. :cry:

Here is a recorded video (of the preview TV show?) uploaded today.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanlks to @seabm7 for the heads up on this Dec. 14th DENIS' FRIENDS show at Barys Arena in Nur-Sultan (formerly Astana), Kazakhstan, featuring Volosozhar/Trankov, Weaver/Poje, Jeremy Abbott & Ekaterina Gordeeva:

Sylvia

TBD
50-minute documentary (Dec. 23, 2019):
“Denis Ten. Thirteen". How the death of a skater became a personal tragedy of millions
Matchtv.ru columnist Konstantin Stolbovsky’s and Kazakh journalist Sergei Railyan’s copyright project on a tragedy that has become personal to millions of figure skating fans around the world. ...

Sylvia

TBD
2 years ago today :( (feels so much longer to me!)... we remember you, Denis.

ETA:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information