Cup of China 2023 Women FS - “Crazy Ladiezzz Keep Them On The Run”

VanillaIce

I miraculously managed to stay unspoiled despite Mark's best efforts -- I was always, fortunately, turning on a feed just after he said something, or stepping out of the room when he did. :lol: I'm thankful for that, because wow, that was exciting to watch unspoiled. How thrilling for Hana! And RINKA! :cheer2: I'm so happy she proved me wrong!

VanillaIce

I am surprised you manage to understand Mark I find him incomprehensible. This is not a voice that lends itself well to broadcasting. It is too high and he swallows his words. Please someone at ISU find him a voice coach.

zigzig

Have to applaud the very fair judging here - I was convinced after Loena's skate the tech panel would overlook her UR or just mark them as q to keep her in first, and was pleased to see they marked what she did.

As much as I love her I have to say that this program really reveals its weaknesses when she skates tight. She's not a natural with this movement and she can kind of fake it was her flirty sex appeal but when that's missing, the choreography really doesn't work.

Thrilled for the Japanese girls and makes the qualification for the GPF very interesting this year.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I am surprised you manage to understand Mark I find him incomprehensible. This is not a voice that lends itself well to broadcasting. It is too high and he swallows his words. Please someone at ISU find him a voice coach.
Tell me you’ve lived a sheltered culturally closed life without telling me you’ve lived a sheltered culturally closed life.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Super busy day, so I’m gonna watch all the disciplines in increments throughout the day

group 1

Shin - still skates too introverted for my taste. I can be an introvert as well, but I would turn it out for a performance. It’s getting more and more noticeable. I like her skating, but I wish she would perform it.

Kurakova - well, not one of my favorite skaters. I’m so surprised at how low her GOE is getting these days. I’m not her biggest fan but I would have her GOE on these elements higher.

Kim - My favorite of the Korean skaters I love her. I don’t think we’re gonna see any Korean skaters at the Grand Prix final possibly. Loena skated to this song, but skated with a bit more passion to it. I think this piece of music needs to be skated to with your heart on your sleeve.

Madeline - good opening triple triple well is this going to be a repeat situation from Vancouver. Third, jumping pass complete and it looks like it will be.

VanillaIce

Well I did not mention the “a” word if that is what you are implying. There are voices that the microphone enhances. This is not one of them in my book. There was an equally uneasy on the ear commentator on Eurosport last year. Ex-skaters do not automatically become talented broadcasters.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Well I did not mention the “a” word if that is what you are implying. There are voices that the microphone enhances. This is not one of them in my book. There was an equally uneasy on the ear commentator on Eurosport last year. Ex-skaters do not automatically become talented broadcasters.
I don't have any problem understanding Mark and I think his voice is soothing to the point that It's never really talking over the performance. He knows when to talk and when not to, and he doesn't use the 'slow section' of the program to ramble about pointless things. Also, as a former ice dancer, he knows a whole lot more about basics and what to look for in scoring than 99% of the other commentators we get.

When I think of voices not made for broadcasting, I think Ryan Bradley and Ashley Wagner run away with that competition.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I never have trouble understanding him.
Right, I'm not a native English speaker and I've never had trouble understanding him. When he commentates for the ISU on YouTube, there are usually people from all over the world in the live chat, many of them with limited English, and they all seem to understand him without issue.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Really? His accent is very mild I assume you have never had a phone call from a call centre? He doesn’t need a voice coach? Maybe check your settings on your computer or phone?

Just finished the women, good podium fair judging. The skaters all seemed a little tired and I am sure training and skating at such odd hours that their bodies are not used to would impact more in the long than short.

I am just thrilled both Japanese women ended up on the podium as they were the class of the field and good job Maddie as well! I know that clean short and long is coming lol

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Kim - My favorite of the Korean skaters I love her. I don’t think we’re gonna see any Korean skaters at the Grand Prix final possibly. Loena skated to this song, but skated with a bit more passion to it. I think this piece of music needs to be skated to with your heart on your sleeve.
I'd say that the other Kim (Chaeyeon), who has a silver medal from SCI, might raise an objection to your presumption.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Watched the last 3 ladies...

I like Rinka's new dress. Don't ask me to explain this or describe it, just accept that it's a really pretty, interesting and stylish dress.

Hana - can't remember much about her program. That's nor a compliment. But, trust the Japanese women to jumble up the GPF standings and potential qualifiers, lol.

Loena - very tight skate, though I was surprised the tech panel & judges went there and dropped her marks the way they did. Still, she'll be at the GPF.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Second group

An - I really liked her skating a lot so much last year especially at 4 cc and junior worlds? Seems a bit off this season. Quite a few falls, last year she was my one to watch.

Niina - well, she was the one that I put on the podium for skate America and it happened let’s see as she starts the free program here. jumps looking good, oh no a fall. Fatigue is coming in it seems.

Hana - almost with the triple axel. I do really like her skating. wow I wasn’t expecting a score that high, congratulations

Rinka - starting off so strong, Loena you have to watch out. Wow best I’ve seen her in a couple of competitions

Loena - ugggg I wish she did not look so serious while doing this performance. Making mistakes, I can see her not winning this. This program could be really something if she got more into the character. Well, this is certainly going to be close.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
That was an interesting comp. The Chinese girls skated better than I expected, and although An had terrible falls, she was really listening to the music and the complex choreo seemed organic, not applied. Chen’s piano-bar music is awful, I’d love to see what she could do with something better.

Hana is one determined young woman with two interesting programs, tech skills and expression. Definitely a threat for the World team this year especially if Mai is injured again. Rinka is such a wild card…but I don’t find her basic skating as good as Hana’s. I’m glad to see the Japanese women branching out in terms of music and choreo and give Kaori credit for breaking the mold.

Loena is the skater that DH always looks up from his reading to watch, wonder why. ;) Judges got it right this time.

peibeck

Simply looking
I have been a huge Loena fan since she first came on the senior circuit, but her programs the last two seasons are losing me. I was fascinated to hear Mark say she chose this year's FS because she wants to change how people look and think of figure skating. Which I find kind of interesting, because she herself doesn't even seem particularly comfortable or "at home" with the choreography (what little there is of it... an inordinate amount of two foot skating going on here) of the free skate. Add in the mistakes and under rotation issues today and it wasn't surprising to see the plummet.

Rinka had my favorite FS today, but a few errors as well, but I was happy she held onto the silver position.

viennese

wrecked
I never have trouble understanding him.

Even if I miss a few words here and there, I catch the sense of what Mark Hanretty's getting at by vocal tone, the visuals, or if he repeats the same thought with a later clip

I adore regional accents and accents in general

Maybe it helps growing up in with an immigrant parent and an extended family who didn't speak English a that well, or at all. I probably spent half my childhood struggling to understand what the adults were saying

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
If any of y'all listen to the Runthrough, Wagner and Rippon's podcast, Ashley Wagner is known to be a bit of a jinx. So much so that Amber Glenn allegedly dm'ed the producer and asked that Ashley NOT put her on her fantasy team :rofl: Guess who Ashley picked as "safe" for the ladies...yep, Loena. It's real, y'all. Skaters better start carrying anti-Wagner charms. Especially on their lutzes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information