Complete Figure Skating Steps/Turns Guide

illyria

https://youtu.be/9zUUwG1VkmY

https://illyria-and-her-pet.tumblr.com/post/182237416574/figure-skating-stepsturns

I made both a video and gif guide of figure skating steps/turns.

Difficult Steps/Turns (those that count for levels) for Singles/Pairs: Rocker, Counter, Bracket, Choctaw, Twizzle, Loop

Difficult Steps/Turns (those that count for levels) for Ice Dance: Rocker, Counter, Bracket, Choctaw, Twizzle, Outside Mohawk

Non-Difficult Steps/Turns (those that don't count for levels): three turn, inside mohawk, toe steps, chasse, change of edge, cross roll, crossed step in front, crossed step behind, slip steps, swing roll, progressive, illusion, crossovers

I have examples of all the difficult steps/turns from every entry edge. I also have examples of two of the non-difficult steps/turns from every entry edge (three-turn and inside mohawk).

BittyBug

Disgusted
What an amazingly impressive compilation. You must really love the sport to have invested so much time to put together such a comprehensive guide, with video illustrations no less. (And I'm guessing you've also taken all your dance tests because who else would identify turns by which steps they are in a pattern dance?)

Fantastic. :respec:

illyria

What an amazingly impressive compilation. You must really love the sport to have invested so much time to put together such a comprehensive guide, with video illustrations no less. (And I'm guessing you've also taken all your dance tests because who else would identify turns by which steps they are in a pattern dance?)

Fantastic. :respec:
Thank you so much! I'm actually not a skater at all, so I haven't taken any dance tests. I'm just a fan and it was a big goal of mine to make a steps/turns guide with examples from every entry edge since it's very hard to learn the difference between the steps/turns. Looking at ice dance patterns was a big help in finding certain examples of steps/turns, so I also liked referring to them by which step they are in a pattern dance, if I used a video or gif example from one of the pattern dances.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks for doing this. And you used videos by two of the greatest ice dance teams in figure skating history! :cheer: Looking at the breakdowns, it made me wonder about the ice dance choreographic process and whether the skaters take down step sequence notations or just keep it all in their heads, and then in their muscle memories?

I wish someone would do the same video rundown (maybe @5Ali3) for all the different moves in pairs skating: lifts, throws, spins, death spirals, etc., with all the somewhat confusing abbreviated notations on scorecards. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information