Chicks Dig Diamonds: The 2021 Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The Yankees have returned to 500 baseball, which is real progress for them.

It saddens me that their next series is against the Houston Astros. I've had year long fantasies about the Astros playing in front of a full NY Yankee stadium, getting resounding and heartfelt boos each time one of them breathed, with especial fury aimed at Jose Altube who cheated his way to an MVP that should have gone to clean living and wholesome thoughts Aaron Judge. But there'll be a 20% crowd instead, and fervent though I'm sure it will be, I'll be missing the other fire breathing 80%.

Debbie S

The Orioles may not have a winning record this season, but they'll always have the no-hitter. :cheer2:Congratulations to John Means!

(Maybe he'll actually be kept around for when the team is ever 'rebuilt' and not traded like our brain trust seems to be doing with all promising players.)

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
My two favorite baseball teams (Reds are my #1 but the Orioles are my #2) now BOTH have no hitters in 2021 and this feat was done within just days of each other! Wade Miley threw a no hitter tonight up in Cleveland and the Reds won the game 3-0 (the Reds stressed everyone out by not scoring any runs until the 9th inning too, LOL). This is insane and I feel like I need to go play the lottery or something right now because this type of thing has NEVER happened to me before, LMAO :rofl: :lol: :cheer:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo

MsZem

I see the sea
An aside….my brother and I attended Friday night’s game….what a debacle. 😥. 24-8 final score.
That's a football score. Just wrong.

As for the shooting, it sucks. I know some people are not thrilled with the coverage given to this compared to other shootings, but it's pretty shocking.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Nationals/Padres Game Suspended after Shooting outside Park
ESPN’s Sportcenter showed the part of the game where you heard 6 gunshots..players and umpires ran off the field and the crowd evacuated the stands.

An aside….my brother and I attended Friday night’s game….what a debacle. 😥. 24-8 final score.
Ouch, sorry you didn't get to see a better game. I turned that one off when it was 13-3. When I got the score in the morning I couldn't really believe it!

I didn't listen to the Saturday game and when I turned on the radio in the morning they said, "Next up sports: What it was like in the ballpark when the shots rang out." I was :wideeyes: and have to admit relieved that it was just ordinary DC gun violence. :(

Nationals have had a stretch of wild games, the Sunday game they won in the bottom of the 9th 8-7 and then another ridiculous score, but on their side this time!, yesterday 18-1. Nuts!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I was thinking Guardians of what? The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? Pierogi? Paczki?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I know! You can't just be Guardians, you have to be Guardians of Something.

I guess using a name that has a similar sound to the old one is not a bad idea. I was trying to think of how this could work for the Washington Football Team. So far all I came up with was Washington Kittens. :rofl: I really like that though (but no one ever accused me of being a [American] football fan.)

MsZem

I see the sea
There were Negro League teams in Cleveland over the years, surely they could have used that as inspiration, or just reverted to the Cleveland Spiders - and excellent name! Perhaps there was a trademark issue there? Anyway, Guardians just sounds stupid.

Still waiting for the Braves to change their name.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Spiders would have been a lot better than Guardians.

Is there any rumbling of change in Atlanta?

MsZem

I see the sea
Is there any rumbling of change in Atlanta?
No, but I just don't see how that name can be kept for much longer, especially with Washington (football) and Cleveland changing theirs. And it would be so nice if they could be the Hammers, or whatever other name might work.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
No, but I just don't see how that name can be kept for much longer, especially with Washington (football) and Cleveland changing theirs. And it would be so nice if they could be the Hammers, or whatever other name might work.
Yeah, Hammers is good, they should go for it.

Its really hard for a successful team to make the change, given branding and all. It took a bunch of disastrous seasons before the Washington Football Team could be pressured into it. That and the George Floyd killing and protests.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Anyone else following the trade deadline craziness?

I just saw this, not yet completed :eek: Cubs and Mets closing in on Javier Baez blockbuster

I've been holding my breath all day hoping the Nationals don't deal away anyone else. I'd still like to see them win at least a game or two in the next two months. :fragile:

I knew Max Scherzer was going but I didn't expect Trea Turner to be gone.

Firedancer

Anyone else following the trade deadline craziness?

I just saw this, not yet completed :eek: Cubs and Mets closing in on Javier Baez blockbuster

I've been holding my breath all day hoping the Nationals don't deal away anyone else. I'd still like to see them win at least a game or two in the next two months. :fragile:

I knew Max Scherzer was going but I didn't expect Trea Turner to be gone.

Yes…I feel like the Yankees have to be working on at least one more deal because with adding Anthony Rizzo they don’t have a spot for Luke Voit anymore. Hoping for a pitcher.

ETA: They got a pitcher but not quite what I was hoping for.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Its 4:02 can I breathe now?

Pending deal looks good for the Phillies: The Philadelphia Phillies are making their move, finalizing a deal to get starting pitcher Kyle Gibson and reliever Ian Kennedy from the Texas Rangers, sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan.

ETA: Giants get Kris Bryant.

I'm looking forward to the pennant runs even while I'll be listening to the Nationals free-fall...

ETA: Breathed too soon, Jon Lester is gone too. He was supposed to start tonight. Good luck with that pitching now.

ETA: I keep adding to the post because I know no one here really cares. Well I was taking it in stride because I thought they could still field a credible team, but they've traded away Lester, Gomes, and Josh Harrison. It should be a crime for them to sell any tickets to the rest of the games; I think they have some obligation to the fans to field a team; they didn't need to trade everyone. :fragile:

Last edited:

skipaway

because I know no one here really cares. Well I was taking it in stride because I thought they could still field a credible team, but they've traded away Lester, Gomes, and Josh Harrison. It should be a crime for them to sell any tickets to the rest of the games; I think they have some obligation to the fans to field a team; they didn't need to trade everyone. :fragile:
I care….As a Nats fan, I’m gutted at the loss of 1/2 my team. :fragile:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I'm still not over the loss of Matt Duffy from the Giants, so I guess it's only fitting that he started third for the Cubs tonight after Kris Bryant was traded to the Giants.

I'd rather have Matt back :wuzrobbed

Debbie S

I remember the Orioles fire sales at trade deadline. (((Nats fans)))

I think the Orioles traded one player who I'm not familiar with....we don't have any big-name players left. I was worried they would trade John Means, but he's been injured so I guess that was enough to keep him here, for now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information