Challengers '20-'21

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Apologies if this was already mentioned; I couldn't find it. The ISU has apparently put together this tentative Challenger schedule, which looks a trifle optimistic:

sandra_persch

some of the European ones seems possible assuming things keep improving like they currently are especially in Austria, Croatia, Germany, Hungary and Slovakia.
If skaters will be ready is another thing as most European rinks hope to be able to reopen in a few weeks time.

Orm Irian

some of the European ones seems possible assuming things keep improving like they currently are especially in Austria, Croatia, Germany, Hungary and Slovakia.
If skaters will be ready is another thing as most European rinks hope to be able to reopen in a few weeks time.

Ontario seems to be starting to get on top of its community transmission problem, so ACI might be possible by September, even if it's only opened to skaters already resident in Canada/North America.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs

Germany already cancelled Oktoberfest. If they have already cancelled that, I’m thinking Nebelhorn will not happen either.

I’m starting to think there may not be an international skating season in 20-21.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Apologies if this was already mentioned; I couldn't find it. The ISU has apparently put together this tentative Challenger schedule, which looks a trifle optimistic:

I mean, I guess they put the giant-ass caveat underneath it for a reason.

I can maybe see the last three or four going ahead if there is a drastic improvement.

J

Jeschke

Germany already cancelled Oktoberfest. If they have already cancelled that, I’m thinking Nebelhorn will not happen either.
Well there is a little difference between the average 400k a day at Oktoberfest to the 1k (very generous thinking :p ) in Oberstdorf rink.
Not to speak of the rather rare drunken hugs and facelicks at Oberstdorf :p

But yeah, all totally hypothetical, so let's just wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finnice

Finland has cancelled all the big events (over 500) till the beginning of August.
The ****** seems the be in quite good control here.
But if nobody can practice now, October may anyway come too fast.

starrynight

News bulletin: it is April. There is no need to be exceedingly alarmist and preemptively cancel events four months in the future.

-BB

The financials have a lot to do with it. It’s about the risk of putting down deposits for venues and services and running the risk of losing that money. Everything that goes into an event - even little things like printing the backdrop for the kiss and cry - has to be done in advance and paid for.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I couldn't quite figure out where to post this so if it's already been posted elsewhere I apologize:

IFS Magazine
@ifsmagazine

On April 28, the ISU is scheduled to discuss possible dates for the start of the Junior Grand Prix Series. The first event is currently scheduled to take place in Richmond, Canada, Aug. 26-29.

If it's the same arena that was used in 2018, here's the specifications. Might be difficult to maintain social distancing on that seating...

greenapple

The ISU just published the speed skating schedule for next season. The first event is slated for mid-November, so it is obviously taking a pro-active approach.

"The calendar, same as the calendar of other ISU series, is subject to a timely normalization of the Coronavirus situation allowing the safe organization of Ice Skating events in the season 2020/2021."

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The financials have a lot to do with it. It’s about the risk of putting down deposits for venues and services and running the risk of losing that money. Everything that goes into an event - even little things like printing the backdrop for the kiss and cry - has to be done in advance and paid for.

I'm still amazed nine years later, how Russia was able to take on the 2011 World Championships and put it together in six weeks. Normally, the event takes about two years to organise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information