Chadwick Boseman has died of cancer!

Lorac

So sad. He kept his diagnosis hidden which was impressive as he was apparently diagnosed in 2016. Black Panther was a huge step into super stardom for him and he had so much more to give us.

My thoughts are with his family at this time.

R.I.P Chad - you inspired so many people. 😔😓

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
There were some photos of him that came out several months ago where he was looking alarmingly skinny. I suppose this is why. :( He was very talented, what a loss to the world.

RIP Chadwick and condolences to his family.

That's so crazy that Black Panther only came out in 2018, and he looked like the epitome of fitness then - I would have never guessed that cancer was lurking in that ripped physique, and it's even more astounding that he probably trained for and filmed Black Panther/Infinity War/Endgame knowing he had stage III/IV cancer the whole time.

clairecloutier

I haven't watched many movies in the last few years, so, to date, I had only seen Chadwick Boseman in one film, Black Panther. But, of course, the impression he left in that role was so strong and indelible. I thought he had an amazing presence onscreen, strong but intelligent and somehow gentle at the same time. After Black Panther, I just assumed he would become a leading actor in Hollywood and have a very long and illustrious career, probably with awards in his future. It's so sad to think of such a talent being lost prematurely. :( I'm in awe of his strength, carrying on to do so much amazing work even as he was fighting cancer. I will definitely be seeking out his earlier films now, in honor of his life and work.

viennese

wrecked
So sad to hear this. Every movie he did, from the Thurgood Marshall biopic to Black Panther to Da 5 Bloods, he was superb. It is shocking and saddening to learn that he was suffering, so young.

(If you haven't seen the Spike Lee movie, it is on Netflix and it is really good. One of the best I have seen this year. Boseman's performance and the Marvin Gaye music make it so powerful.)

Cachoo

The last time I saw him was after the Super Bowl on LeBron’s show with Tiffany Haddish and Patrick Mahomes. He looked smaller to me but he was sitting next to Mahomes. I just thought he looked larger on film. He made a wonderful PSA about voting that is rather heartbreaking to watch now but I think the networks should run it over and over again. RIP

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I haven't seen Black Panther, but from reading about it and hearing people talk about it, I get a sense of how much it meant to a lot of people to have a superhero movie with a Black cast, and set in an African-influenced context. His loss is extra sad because of that.
He also played Jackie Robinson in the movie 42, about Robinson's struggle to get into major league baseball, and he died on Jackie Robinson Day :(

screech

That's so crazy that Black Panther only came out in 2018, and he looked like the epitome of fitness then - I would have never guessed that cancer was lurking in that ripped physique, and it's even more astounding that he probably trained for and filmed Black Panther/Infinity War/Endgame knowing he had stage III/IV cancer the whole time.
I thought the same thing - he completed 3 highly physical Marvel movies in that time. It completely blows my mind that he was able to do so while knowingly battling cancer.

Condolences to all of his family and friends, and those whose lives he touched.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
It’s worth watching as it actually is interesting in its own right unlike most Marvel films.
Yeah, Black Panther is the rare MCU movie where you could completely strip away the fact that it's a Marvel movie and it would still genuinely just be a great science fiction movie. The detail and the elements of Afro-Futurism (a genre of fiction I really need to devote more time too) really help Black Panther stand out in a field of superhero movies that all start to look the same after a while.

Ryan Coogler brought in a lot of people that he had worked with before because he didn't want Black Panther looking like a cookie cutter Marvel movie and it worked so well.

Susan1

I'm sorry, I didn't have any idea who he was all this time, but I saw a thing about Michael B. Jordan and him and read "In March 2003, Michael B. Jordan joined the cast of All My Children, replacing Chadwick Boseman, playing Reggie Montgomery, a troubled teenager, until June 2006."

Sidebar - I remembered Michael B. Jordan being on AMC when he was on Friday Night Lights. And now he is a big movie star. Neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information