CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

MsZem

I see the sea
Guest judges I'd like to see: Meagan and Aliona and their bellies together! That could be hilarious!
Aljona is due any day now and could have even given birth already, for all we know. Even with her superpowers, guest judging at this point would be a bit much.

MsZem

I see the sea
She posted on Instagram stories this morning, baby Amilia Savchenko Cross was born on September 7th.
I figured something was up when she disappeared from Instagram, but didn't see the story. How exciting for Aljona and Liam :cheer2:

Skate Talker

I should have said Colby, the judge. I hope Mother Corp is reading the good feedback he is getting and will get him back if possible. Did you see him work the crowd for Sheldon Kennedy, that's gold baby!
I have a feeling the producers may want to stay away from having Colby as a judge in future episodes where Violetta is competing as he was her partner less than 2 weeks ago and could be seen as favouring her if he makes any positive comments for her and PJ. Personally based on his performance as a judge in week 1, I think he is someone who would not let something like that influence him but just saying how it may look.

pixie cut

Not only are figure skates and hockey skates completely different, hockey players have different level of skating skills. Several of the participants in Battle of the Blades over the first four seasons were really good skaters and some were not, so their transition to figure skates was brutal. In season one, some of the guys never made it to figure skates. By season two, they all did, but that doesn't mean some didn't struggle. Some people last night struggled while others were living their best lives. ;):cool:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The performances have been uploaded on the BOTB web site.

Okay, I'm watching them now. Random thoughts as I go through them:

OMG, Sheldon and Kaitlyn are doing the Yankee Polka! (Sort of.) They just won my vote! Also, I love this song and now I want to see it in a Short Dance the next time the Yankee Polka is one of the patterns. :D Sheldon did good but needs to stand up straighter.

Amanda & Colton: meh. That was one horrible death spiral too.

Amanda & Eric: loved the costumes, hate the song. It got better as it went along and she has decent posture (not great but not horrible either). I see potential in this pairing.

Natalie & Andrew - the song cracked me up and the choreography was inventive and did a good job of hiding her shortcomings without it seeming like Andrew was doing all the work. I would put these guys 2nd to Sheldon & Kaitlyn.

Vanessa & Brian - another well-choreographed routine. He's got a long way to go in terms of skill though.

Katia & Bruno - same reaction as to V&B. I have to say that "I like the way you move" is a great song for Katia though. She still has it when it comes to being able to just watch her stroke around on the ice.

For the last two, it was clear the women were doing all the work. It made me understand @chantilly's comment about the skating being a bit basic. I vaguely remember the skills being higher the first week on Skating with the Stars but that might be nostalgia talking. (Also didn't they have longer to prepare?)

Anyway, unlike her, I'm hooked. :D

My order if I were a judge:
1. Sheldon & Kaitlyn
2. Natalie & Andrew
3. Amanda & Eric
4. Katia & Bruno
5. Vanessa & Brian
6. Amanda & Colton

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
However the total of the votes + the judges scores work out, the bottom 2 will have to have a "skate-off" next week and someone will be eliminated. Violetta and PJ were given a "bye" this week due to his late arrival but they will perform their first routine next week.

screech

Another fun part is seeing the progress from the first week to the last and when you see something as entertaining as hell where you suspend your disbelief that that guy isn't a figure skater but sure looks like one in this instance.
The fact that they hydrobladed...
I remember absolutely loving their Monster Mash routine, but unfortunately I can't find it.

IMO, though, Val Bure was the ultimate in skating skills from hockey players.

However the total of the votes + the judges scores work out, the bottom 2 will have to have a "skate-off" next week and someone will be eliminated.
If only they did something like this on Dancing with the Stars!!!

I have a feeling the producers may want to stay away from having Colby as a judge in future episodes where Violetta is competing as he was her partner less than 2 weeks ago and could be seen as favouring her if he makes any positive comments for her and PJ. Personally based on his performance as a judge in week 1, I think he is someone who would not let something like that influence him but just saying how it may look.
I loved him as a judge. I really hope that if the show comes back next year, they give him another chance to compete.

Anemone

I enjoyed last night's show very much.
Kaitlynn & Sheldon were definitely my favourite skate of the evening, but there were several others I liked also.
Choosing who to vote for won't be easy!

Japanfan

This is my first season ever of watching this show. And while it reinforces my profound respect for just how difficult figure skating is and I love that it’s done for charity, the actual skating is so simplistic and cheesy that I don’t think I can make it through the season.

The show is supposed to be cheesy. I believe the producers think that will make it appeal to a broader audience.

I watch the show just because I at least get to see FS. But I don't care for it all that much, TBH.

tylersf

This is great!

I wish we could do this in the USA!

Maybe we could take it a step further and have like a figure skating version of Big Brother or maybe like a Real Skaters of Delaware, or something like that. It would be cool to perhaps have cameo appearances with Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding in the Big Brother skating house.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
For people outside of Canada, here is what the producer of the show has to say
"The full show is only available in Canada due to rights. That said, each team performance can be seen the next day on the show website (https://www.cbc.ca/television/battleoftheblades). You can also vote from anywhere in the world, and by following @CBCbattle you'll feel like you're in the arena with us."
That's great, but can they make the performances available so they can be cast to a TV full screen? When more than one person in the house wants to watch it's easier to cast than either have two people watch the same laptop/device, and watching separately seems stupid. They've done something to prevent casting to a screen (could hear audio but couldn't see the video - it came out as a still of the PC desktop with the viewer showing mid-screen, and couldn't cast at all from my iPad). Not getting what the problem is with casting.

honey

My biggest complaint about the show is the music. It's been my complaint every season.

I thought the music was particularly bad for this season opener. Except for maybe 2 teams, it was mostly just nondescript noise. The lack of interesting music really deterred from my enjoyment unfortunately. Hopefully next week will be better.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
That's great, but can they make the performances available so they can be cast to a TV full screen? When more than one person in the house wants to watch it's easier to cast than either have two people watch the same laptop/device, and watching separately seems stupid. They've done something to prevent casting to a screen (could hear audio but couldn't see the video - it came out as a still of the PC desktop with the viewer showing mid-screen, and couldn't cast at all from my iPad). Not getting what the problem is with casting.
I guess that's an issue to be taken up directly with the CBC folks :)

rvi5

Perhaps that was the plan???

It seems possible they would prefer other networks to purchase the TV broadcasting rights outside Canada. That would not happen if viewers could simply watch the show full screen on TV from the website. In past seasons, they used geoblocking. This time, they are giving people outside Canada the opportunity to watch and participate/vote. Hoping it will spark more interest, and encourage people to pressure their local TV networks to purchase the broadcasting rights.

pixie cut

Perhaps that was the plan???

It seems possible they would prefer other networks to purchase the TV broadcasting rights outside Canada. That would not happen if viewers could simply watch the show full screen on TV from the website. In past seasons, they used geoblocking. This time, they are giving people outside Canada the opportunity to watch and participate/vote. Hoping it will spark more interest, and encourage people to pressure their local TV networks to purchase the broadcasting rights.

People outside of Canada could vote in season four, but only one vote whereas Canadian viewers had like 10 votes.

rdavies

I have a much simpler setup. I have a hardwired dedicated laptop hooked up to the TV (HDMI) with a USB wireless keyboard (not Bluetooth). The more wireless technologies you have the less fast and reliable the connections will be. You can get pretty good refurbished laptops at BestBuy for $300, I haven't bought one yet that wasn't like new.

rdavies

My biggest complaint about the show is the music. It's been my complaint every season.
I just tune it out, I don't like country or rap/hip hop so I don't really care what they're skating to. If they threw a little Siervas, Dire Straits or Rush into it I might pay attention but generally I just like watching the footwork and artistry. I follow David Pelletier's stance on lifts (there are other things more important)

Last edited:

yfbg722

Another reason I like this show is the positivity without being totally saccharine. Most reality shows bring out the worst in people, this show has always been about the opposite. Another fun part is seeing the progress from the first week to the last and when you see something as entertaining as hell where you suspend your disbelief that that guy isn't a figure skater but sure looks like one in this instance.
Thanks for sharing that clip. Loved it! I had forgotten about how many really wonderful performances the show had in the past. :)

yfbg722

The fact that they hydrobladed...
I remember absolutely loving their Monster Mash routine, but unfortunately I can't find it.

IMO, though, Val Bure was the ultimate in skating skills from hockey players.

If only they did something like this on Dancing with the Stars!!!

I loved him as a judge. I really hope that if the show comes back next year, they give him another chance to compete.
I was so impressed with Bure. I really felt he could easily have been a pair skater if he'd wanted. He and Gordeeva were amazing that season!

Sk8tn

There needs to be a pattern dance night where everyone has to have a pattern dance element like in the short dance (partial pattern though), but everyone would have to choose their own pattern dance to sample. While Kennedy did part of an International, some of the others would have trouble with Swing Dance.

What pattern dance do we want Kennedy to sample next? Do we think Andrew can get a compelling pattern dance sample out of his partner too?

Okay, I'm watching them now. Random thoughts as I go through them:

OMG, Sheldon and Kaitlyn are doing the Yankee Polka! (Sort of.) They just won my vote! Also, I love this song and now I want to see it in a Short Dance the next time the Yankee Polka is one of the patterns. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information