CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

pixie cut

The combination of hockey players and figure skaters is something that is VERY Canadian - Russia is the only other country I can think of where there are stars in and an audience for both - the US has the skaters in both disciplines, but neither sport has as high a profile as in Canada. And CBC has a long history of broadcasting both. I watched a lot of the original BOTB with my brother, who was a hockey player, and it was a good way to share our interests.

ETA: it was particularly annoying for John Doyle to lump BOTB in with Family Feud Canada.

Family Feud is a ridiculous game show. It's a terrible and unfair comparison.

BOTB is entertainment connected to two highly popular, extremely high profile sports in Canada. It is a show created by a Canadian and has an overwhelmingly Canadian cast. In past seasons, they've had theme nights where only Canadian music is played.

Schitt's Creek has been such a success because it found a U.S. audience due to the international renown of Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara. To scrub a show such as BOTB which appeals to Canadian audiences is ridiculous. Unless someone is going to create another comedy show starring Canadian actors who have been in countless American movies, there is nothing better than a show that capitalizes on the popularity of hockey and figure skating.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
IIRC the comparison was two shows that are being recycled by the CBC, i.e. shows that viewers have already seen in previous versions. The comparison was on what CBC is doing in its programming re original and un-original programming, not on the quality or the type of show.

ETA: for what it's worth, I suspect Family Feud Canada is going to suck as badly as CBC's Canadian version of Great British Bake-Off did.

Last edited:

kalamalka

Yes, the column was talking about the two shows as both being recycled, rather than new ideas. But Family Feud Canada is a version of a not-very-good (and old/recycled) American game show, whereas BOTB is a revival of an original and successful - the reason given for its cancellation was high production costs in a period of reduced funding - Canadian show.

(agree totally with the FFC prognosis)

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I could 100% get behind Canadian Family Feud if it's strictly a run of famous Canadian families. (Or famous-ish, as is the case with Cdn celebrities...) Or a show's cast vs. another.

Otherwise, quite the wtf decision from the CBC...

Sonata

And the winnings go to a charity. The Moirs vs the Virtues.

I could actually see this. From your typing to CBC’s ears ....

I don’t find Family Feud and BOTB are the same type of show, so it’s annoying to see them lumped together. Quebec has had a few versions of Family Feud (Guerre des clans) for years, dating back to the 1990s. Interestingly, it was cancelled this year. It was on a private network. But Radio-Canada (French branch of CBC) has had many game shows on their channel.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
According to Kaitlyn Weaver’s Instagram, the boot camp for Battle of the Blades has started in Toronto.

I imagine that announcements as to the remaining contestants should be made soon?

I hope so. I'm only a bit embarrassed to admit I looked at who's retired from the NHL since the last run just for kicks.

I still can't believe Vanessa is doing this. Oh, man.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I still can't believe Vanessa is doing this. Oh, man.

Why? It was offered. Apparently, Vanessa thought about and she accepted, with Morgan joining the project as her competition coach. There's an article in their fan thread explaining her decision to accept the offer, and Morgan's decision to serve as coach.

Winnipeg

It probably pays well! And, look what happened to Jamie Sale - she ended up marrying her partner so it could have that added benefit too. :summer:

aftershocks

Banned Member
It probably pays well! And, look what happened to Jamie Sale - she ended up marrying her partner so it could have that added benefit too. :summer:

:lol: Nope. I doubt that. Morgan is there to serve as coach, and to look out for his on-ice partner! Plus, AFAIK, Vanessa is still dating her off-ice French boyfriend, who is not Morgan.

Agreed! It seems risky for someone competing this year to take such a chance.

I'm sure from their comments (see the article linked in their fan thread), Vanessa and Morgan are looking forward to having fun and taking a relaxed, non-pressurized approach to the new season. Their dedicated focus is going to be Euros and Worlds. By now, I think they are disciplined and experienced enough to know how to get down to business when it's time. And I think it does often help to have a fun side-focus that's still involved with skating. And as noted by others, the money doesn't hurt.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I'm sure from their comments (see the article linked in their fan thread), Vanessa and Morgan are looking forward to having fun and taking a relaxed, non-pressurized approach to the new season. Their dedicated focus is going to be Euros and Worlds. By now, I think they are disciplined and experienced enough to know how to get down to business when it's time. And I think it does often help to have a fun side-focus that's still involved with skating. And as noted by others, the money doesn't hurt.

By risky, I mean injury risk.

Sylvia

TBD
The article re. Vanessa and BOTB was posted in this thread back in late May:
“So I talked a little bit with John Zimmerman and Silvia Fontana, the federation and Morgan. We all thought it was a great timeline because it is really just at the beginning of the season — it will clash with something like Skate America but we can ask for Grand Prix events later in the season. Hopefully, we can do NHK and Internationaux de France, but our main focus next season will be Europeans and Worlds.”
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/vanessa-james-ready-for-battle/
James/Cipres did get NHK Trophy, the last GP, in addition to #3 France (Nov. 1-3).

aftershocks

Banned Member
By risky, I mean injury risk.

Sure, but figure skating athletes risk injury every day at the rink. Again, it's about understanding their bodies, knowing how to prepare for this type of off-competitive-ice venture, how to warm-up adequately, how to take care of themselves nutrition-wise and getting enough rest, etc. I think Vané & Momo are very knowledgeable in these areas of self-care, and they have surely also been planning logistically for how the scheduling will work out.

Morgan lightheartedly says he is gunning to help Vanessa win and not be eliminated early. But truthfully, I think they are both approaching this project as a bit of serious fun. They will be getting a workout, in addition to exploring new off-ice possibilities, while still stoking their competitive focus for when their first GP rolls around. The unpredictable challenges over the next couple of months will be fun for them.

starrynight

In terms of injuries, the main factor would be the risk of skating with a very inexperienced partner - getting dropped, fallen on, stood on etc.

It's a bit of a different proposition to the usual steady hands of your regular pairs partner who has a whole career of pairs experience. But conversely, difficult high impact elements won't be trained on Battle of the Blades either. So it's not like some hockey dude is going to be launching Vanessa into a quad salchow throw lol.

honey

In terms of injuries, the main factor would be the risk of skating with a very inexperienced partner - getting dropped, fallen on, stood on etc.

It's a bit of a different proposition to the usual steady hands of your regular pairs partner who has a whole career of pairs experience. But conversely, difficult high impact elements won't be trained on Battle of the Blades either. So it's not like some hockey dude is going to be launching Vanessa into a quad salchow throw lol.

Not quads, but a triple twist has been successfully done and various teams were training throw triples. I can't remember if anyone landed a throw triple in performance though. My memory is that Jessica Dube and partner were planning a throw 3Z but she popped it into a single when the takeoff went awry.

To keep things safe, they haven't allowed overhead lifts where the man is rotating. But that's not to say there haven't been nasty falls and more than one person requiring stitches. Fingers crossed for a safe and fun season for all!

starrynight

I actually saw a video where Duhamel did I think an off ice quad twist with some really giant dude just hurling her upwards. I can imagine a big hockey guy could just muscle it out.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I remember John Zimmerman saying that when he and Lloyd Eisler were on that Fox TV version of "skating with celebrities", towards the end of the show when things were getting really competitive, they both did elements with their partners that they probably shouldn't have done with untrained skaters :lol:

aftershocks

Banned Member
And so did Marcy Hinzmann.

Hmmm, Hinzmann, Kerr, and Sale all married their BOTB partners? :eek: I recall the Sale BOTB romance, but wasn't Sale still married to Pelletier at the time? Are you guys trying to intimate that sparks will fly regardless of significant other attachments? :lol: Something like that happened with Lloyd Eisler on a similar ice-related show in the U.S., no?

Oh well, hopefully no one is going on these shows looking for love exactly. ;)

Not quads, but a triple twist has been successfully done and various teams were training throw triples. I can't remember if anyone landed a throw triple in performance though. My memory is that Jessica Dube and partner were planning a throw 3Z but she popped it into a single when the takeoff went awry.

To keep things safe, they haven't allowed overhead lifts where the man is rotating. But that's not to say there haven't been nasty falls and more than one person requiring stitches. Fingers crossed for a safe and fun season for all!
Tiny Anabelle Langlois elbowed her giant partner, Georges Laracque, in the eye during a lift or attempted throw and he required stitches!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information