CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

Sonata

The US had "Skating With Celebrities", but since hockey isn't as big a deal in the US as it is in Canada, I would be really surprised if a US network picked up this show. There didn't seem to be much interest in buying it when it was on before, even though other CBC shows have been bought by US networks (e.g. Murdoch Mysteries, the most recent version of Anne of Green Gables).

I think Battle of the Blades could do really well internationally and build a cult following (like Great British Bake Off). However, obtaining music rights would be a nightmare, which is why I don't think it will happen.

Katta

Patrice Brisbois was Shae's super dancing partner.

Claude Lemieux was another super dance partner of Shae's!! He also sang the lyrics to "Hallelujah" himself when they skated to that one - look it up, it was amazing!!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I prefer Canadian skaters - didn't like Katia Gordeeva et all (love to watch her skate, but wanted to keep "Battle" Canadian).

Scrufflet

So Meagan and Aliona are both pregnant! I was hoping for one or both on the show but terrific news for them! Actually, I could see both of them doing the show while pregnant and being formidable opponents! Hah! (I am joking so don't flame me!).

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
So Meagan and Aliona are both pregnant! I was hoping for one or both on the show but terrific news for them! Actually, I could see both of them doing the show while pregnant and being formidable opponents! Hah! (I am joking so don't flame me!).
Isabelle Brasseur did a show tour while pregnant. When She and Lloyd did the headbanger the audience screamed, me included.

Japanfan

Isabelle Brasseur did a show tour while pregnant. When She and Lloyd did the headbanger the audience screamed, me included.

Kristy Wirtz either competed or performed while pregnant. I remember her saying in an interview that she loved skating while pregnant (presumably only up to certain point).

Sylvia

TBD
Katia Gordeeva was about 4(?) months pregnant with Daria when she and Sergei Grinkov performed on the Canadian SOI tour in April 1992.

believed

Hockey Night in Canada's Ron MacLean will resume his role as host, while world champion figure skater and commentator Kurt Browning will serve as head judge.

The initial batch of athletes vying for Blades glory includes Canadian women's hockey star Natalie Spooner, pairs skater Vanessa James, former NHLer Sheldon Kennedy and Russian-Canadian figure skater Violetta Afanasieva.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/cbc-upfront-19-20-1.5154035

Sylvia

TBD
http://realscreen.com/2019/05/29/upfronts-19-cbc-lifts-the-curtain-on-201920-roster/
... Battle of the Blades (6 x 60 minutes, Insight Productions), which returns this fall five years after its cancellation. The show will be hosted by Ron MacLean, with Kurt Browning serving as head judge. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir will also appear as guest judges, while hockey players Sheldon Kennedy and Natalie Spooner and figure skaters Vanessa James and Violetta Afanasieva will also appear in the series.
What does this mean for James/Cipres' fall competition plans?

sharsk8s

People were saying on twitter that they were still doing the GP, I think it may have come from some article. I don't know how reliable that is.

Colonel Green

People were saying on twitter that they were still doing the GP, I think it may have come from some article. I don't know how reliable that is.
I believe they’re going off a longer press release that talks about how Vanessa is the show’s first skater to still be actively competing — but the press release talks about her continuing her pursuit of World and Olympic medals, so I think they just mean she’s not retired, not that she’s doing the Grand Prix.

believed

“So I talked a little bit with John Zimmerman and Silvia Fontana, the federation and Morgan. We all thought it was a great timeline because it is really just at the beginning of the season — it will clash with something like Skate America but we can ask for Grand Prix events later in the season. Hopefully, we can do NHK and Internationaux de France, but our main focus next season will be Europeans and Worlds.”

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/vanessa-james-ready-for-battle/

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs

Doesn't this violate the spirit of the ISU's remaining amateurism requirements?

It was my understanding that if you do stuff like this for money in any section of the season, you're not competing that section of the season. I thought shows before or after the GP are sanctioned by the ISU (including those falling during the GPF since most don't qualify), but not those DURING.

Orm Irian

I was thinking it's pretty good timing for them, actually, letting them earn a bit of extra cash and exposure without compromising their competitive season, and helping to build the figure skating audience at the same time. I'd forgotten about possible regulations, but they're an older team with a lot of goodwill built up; the ISU might be willing to work with them since they've got in their request early.

Colonel Green

Doesn't this violate the spirit of the ISU's remaining amateurism requirements?

It was my understanding that if you do stuff like this for money in any section of the season, you're not competing that section of the season. I thought shows before or after the GP are sanctioned by the ISU (including those falling during the GPF since most don't qualify), but not those DURING.
Looking at last year's Grand Prix rules, specifically Section 3.4, it looks like they're fine as long as they compete at their assigned events.

So they're planning to do the show and then immediately start competing on the Grand Prix? That seems...ambitious.

barbarafan

Looking at last year's Grand Prix rules, specifically Section 3.4, it looks like they're fine as long as they compete at their assigned events.

So they're planning to do the show and then immediately start competing on the Grand Prix? That seems...ambitious.
As Morgan is acting as her coach they can practice their programs as well when not working on her show routines. These routines will be easy peesy and will keep her in shape. It might work out

uandmfan

I know a lot of people don't share my view, but I'm disappointed at the fact most of the skaters aren't Canadians I remember from their amateur days. I'll still watch but I was much more excited when they brought back Barb, Isabelle, Christine, etc.

coppertop1

I know a lot of people don't share my view, but I'm disappointed at the fact most of the skaters aren't Canadians I remember from their amateur days. I'll still watch but I was much more excited when they brought back Barb, Isabelle, Christine, etc.

Vanessa is Canadian, she is from Peterborough. Violets is Russo-Canadian. Natalie Spooner is Canadian. Yes, most of the skaters we've seen are Canadian. We don't even know the other casts.

uandmfan

Vanessa is Canadian, she is from Peterborough. Violets is Russo-Canadian. Natalie Spooner is Canadian. Yes, most of the skaters we've seen are Canadian. We don't even know the other casts.

I've only ever seen Vanessa compete for France. I don't consider Tanith a Canadian I remember from her amateur days either. Most of the general public wouldn't know she was Canadian. Not like the older skaters I mentioned. Although I imagine that since skatings heyday was over 20 years ago now, it would be hard to bring back names people recognize like they did before.

There was something magical for me about seeing my old favourites when the show debuted. it was gone by the last season and I think this season will be more like that for me.

I will still watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information