Carmel/Monterey Day Trip Suggestions

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
My mom and I are going to spend the day in Carmel and Monterey when we're in the area for the U.S. Open in a few weeks, and I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions for highlights we should see/restaurants to visit. Looking for any scenic spots/interesting walkable areas/cool shops to spend some time. A few notes:

- My mom moves pretty slowly and will likely be feeling the effects of spending the previous day at Pebble Beach, so no strenuous walks
- Reasonably priced seafood/American/Italian are the cuisines of choice
- We're not big aquarium people, so I'm not including the Monterey Aquarium on the list (I've seen that on most of the must-see lists)

Thanks in advance for any tips! :)

Vagabond

Entire post
A drive through Big Sur and lunch at Nepenthe Nepenthe Big Sur, with its spectacular view, is de rigueur. There is a bit of a climb from the parking lot to the restaurant, but there are hand railings and a ramp. I recommend the Ambrosia burger.

Even with limited mobility and limited interest in aquariums, your mother might enjoy Point Lobos State Natural Reserve. Parking in the park itself is limited, however, so go early or in the early evening.

Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove has several good restaurants that are less expensive than their counterparts in Carmel and Monterey. I like Wild Fish and Aliotti's Victorian Corner Restaurant.

My current favorite restaurant in Monterey is Paluca Trattoria.

Mission Carmel is very pretty, accessible, and a good way to get a taste of Old California.

Please feel free to PM me with questions or to post them in this thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information