Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Madi and Zach's RD performance is all across social media. Casual fans and non skating fans love the program. Lots of praise for the greatness that is Madison Hubbell.
And it's well deserved praise and love! A co-worker of mine and I were DMing on IG during the RDs and she was very impressed. Thought they were fabulous. I told her it was the best they'd skated it all fall and really was fantastic. I'm sure there are plenty of other casual & non-skating fans who loved it too.

angi

I honestly felt they were underscored for their fabulous RD. Watching the other three teams that skated after them was just proof that H/D are on another level. I would have had them at 88-89 in the RD, that midline should have gotten +5 across the board, and their pattern and lift deserved higher GOEs as well.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
If you enjoy Leslie Jones Olympic commentary (which is definitely for a particular limited audience) then check out her tweets about H & D. The tweets definitely are not safe for work, though. Let's just say that she effing loved their program.
I'm buying her next 10 rounds of drinks. Preach, sistah! :respec:

Last edited:

bcash

I honestly felt they were underscored for their fabulous RD. Watching the other three teams that skated after them was just proof that H/D are on another level. I would have had them at 88-89 in the RD, that midline should have gotten +5 across the board, and their pattern and lift deserved higher GOEs as well.
I checked the protocol and did feel they didn’t get the GOEs that skate deserved. Esp. compared to S/K.

Fadeevfanboy

They would never give them that score, even though I agree it would have been easily justified. The last thing the judges would do is even give the illusion they could be a challenger to P&C for the gold, or are now the silver medal favorites over S&K, despite that they did beat them in the SD. They had to give them a score that would not break up the pre event dynamics too much, rather than a score they deserved for how great they skated.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
At the nationals they got around 88, with a few flaws. For the Olympics skate, which was perfect, they should have received at least that much.

For the TE it doesn't really matter since it is about placement. However, S/K could have overtaken them, had they not had that stumble toward the end.

Sylvia

TBD
I liked this quote by Madison from the Wall Street Journal’s Feb. 4th article after the 1st day of the team event:
The first day of figure skating here went so unexpectedly well for the Americans that they could win team gold for the first time. The idea seemed audacious to almost everyone—except the most audacious members of the team.
“Of course. Are you joking? Of course Team USA talked about winning gold,” said Hubbell. “It would be so silly to count ourselves out and plan for silver or bronze. Anything can happen on the day. We all train incredibly hard to deliver our best and gold is what we’re going for. We’ll see how we land.”

Allskate

I liked this quote by Madison from the Wall Street Journal’s Feb. 4th article after the 1st day of the team event:
I like this quote, too, and I love that she so often exudes confidence. And it sounds like the entire team has come in with that attitude. Evan said at the press conference the other day that gold has always been their goal and that they were not surprised by the results on the first day of event competition. Chock said they expect to continue building. Great attitude. Great team.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I also liked when she said at the end of "On Edge" that her goal was double gold and why wouldn't it be?
Yes, I really appreciated that too. I'm really hoping that they can at least get the Team Gold. I love her attitude in the WSJ quote - they ARE capable of challenging ROC for the gold and they know it.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

bcash

According to Zach's instagram, he is at the Big Air competition venue today, on the west side of BJ. Great to know they're able to enjoy the Olympics (he also watched the Short Track Speed Skating competition a couple days ago), which I'm sure will help their overall mindset going into the Individuals.

jmtfti

According to Zach's instagram, he is at the Big Air competition venue today, on the west side of BJ. Great to know they're able to enjoy the Olympics (he also watched the Short Track Speed Skating competition a couple days ago), which I'm sure will help their overall mindset going into the Individuals.

Looks like it was a fun outing for a few of the Gadbois crew, also including Madison: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZs9Uq6OHG6/

SidelineSkater

Bumping this up after the RD.

H/D in third place, can I get an AMEN?

The team event RD was skated freer, but it seemed like most of the teams were nervous or holding back. I was holding my breath the entire time.

The tracker at the end had them up by about 1.3. That would have been super close to S/K, but 3rd place is a great spot heading into the FD!!!

Khaleesi

Bumping this up after the RD.

H/D in third place, can I get an AMEN?

The team event RD was skated freer, but it seemed like most of the teams were nervous or holding back. I was holding my breath the entire time.

The tracker at the end had them up by about 1.3. That would have been super close to S/K, but 3rd place is a great spot heading into the FD!!!
They should be ahead of the Russians! I hate skating politics.

Plusdinfo

I did not catch the two teams in front of them, but I did catch Guginard/Fabbri, Gilles/Poirier, and Chock/Bates. I thought Hubbell and Donohue were faster and bolder than any of those teams. Kudos to the Spanish judge for tying Madison and Zach with Papadakis/Cizeron in PCS. At least one judge has the sense to consider them both at a really high standard instead of shoving the Americans down.

Fadeevfanboy

I wouldn't have scored them higher than P&C. P&C just had an extra refinement and smoothness to their program/performance, even if H&D maybe had a bit more excitment, P&C were still atleast as fast as well. I would have them atleast tied with S&K though. So I think they were a bit undermarked. They are still in great shape for a medal, it is basically theirs to lose at this point, and if they have a great performance moving up to 2nd isn't impossible. I question S&K's ability to get through a full FD without a atleast a minor error at this point.

Sylvia

TBD
Lynn Rutherford's RD article focuses on Madi & Zach and also has quotes from Marie-France Dubreuil & Patrice Lauzon: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2022/F...ncers-Sit-Third-And-Fourth-After-Rhythm-Dance
At the end of the skate, Donohue let out a happy howl.
“Being able to connect the way we do, and not just execute choreography and steps but genuinely be able to feel a palpable connection between the two of us, it’s exhilarating,” Donohue said.
“It felt like they were having fun, just performing, not competing,” Lauzon said. “I think that was the best they’ve ever skated that program.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information