Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
That RD was awesome. I have watched multiple times and enjoy it more on each viewing. So happy that Madison and Zach are in the lead with a great performance.
It was even better in person. I've seen them at so many Nationals already and could see the case for them consistently placing 3rd in the past, but their improvements are so evident now, and it should be clear to anyone why they're placing ahead now. Speed, flow, power, ice coverage, and edges to die for. :swoon:

I'd also felt that they weren't putting their long lines and limbs to full use before, but here there were plenty of instances were Madi showed such powerful and long extension - with nice pointed toes, no less (Dick Button, eat your heart out). As much as I love to perv over Zach :grope:, I also can't help noticing how amazing a skater Madi is. :swoon:

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
SO happy for them!! I was a little worried during that second twizzle (Madi last night, Zach tonight) but they didn't let it faze them. In the past, I think even a split second wobble would have gotten in their heads, but they've come so far in this last year and they just moved on. To my eye, I didn't think it was bad at all, but I understand the level 3 for Zach there. Still, I really appreciate the changes they've made to the FD throughout the season. I've said it before - this will never be my favorite program of theirs, but it's grown on me quite a bit since its debut.

ETA: The voiceovers aren't bothering me as much, though I think I've just gotten used to them. Still, in the future I vote for no voiceovers. :lol:

Last edited:

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
It was great to see their skating live again, and their win is fully deserved. Their speed, ice coverage, and physical presence fill the entire arena, and their edges are smooth as butter. In particular, it's great to see that they're getting the PCS and positive GOE that they've rightfully earned.

And the program itself, for all the haters out there, is a sophisticated, mature vehicle for them. They've never had to resort to gimmicks or theatrics to wow over the audience as their skating speaks for itself.

The only major thing I'd suggest is that the climax to the music near the end deserves to be matched with a highlight move or element, which is something they did early in the season but now emphasize with only some choreographed arm movements.

clairecloutier

And the program itself, for all the haters out there, is a sophisticated, mature vehicle for them. They've never had to resort to gimmicks or theatrics to wow over the audience as their skating speaks for itself.

I loved the program here at Natls and thought they were amazing.

At the GPF, I wasn’t sure about the new section at the beginning. Here, it all started to make sense to me.

I keep returning to the concept of Juliet not as sensitive anonymous teenage girl, but as a member of a feudal warrior clan whose life is determined by codes of valor and loyalty that have nothing to do with her personally. Looked at that way, the first part of the program shows the world she lives in, while the second shows the tragic personal effect on her.

I’m probably putting too much into it. :D But I really felt the storyline here and loved it.

Laura4

They are both phenomenal skaters! I loved the way they attacked that FD. If they keep improving and they get two great programs, I really think they are the one team that could challenge P/C for gold at the Olympics. Some think it will be one of the Russian teams, but I don't think so. None of those teams have the skills and the talent Maddie and Zach have.

lmarie086

I'm not sure what happened to make their straightline footwork level 2 at the end there, maybe I missed something but I hope Patch drills them on getting their levels and hitting those keypoints leading up to Worlds. That was a fiery, strong performance, but they really need to straighten out the technical part - loved their twizzles tonight, though. :)

Last edited:

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Turning in after a long day of skating. I'm sitting with a bunch of longtime skating friends and even those who aren't excited about Madi/Zach's programs this year do admit that their overall skating quality has improved greatly over the years, and continues to improve.

They also agree that the case could be made for them to be behind others in the past, but when you see them live now, the case is quite clear for them to be ahead. It's not just that they have a big physical presence in that they're a tall, physically striking team. They skate like it as well - huge ice coverage, speed, and patterns. This was obvious today.

That having been said, there are lots of teams nipping at their heels so they can't afford to be complacent. I think they know this quite well, having been the "hungry" chasers themselves not long ago.

I just hope Madi and Zach bring it when it counts, especially when it comes to their levels, because I'd love to see what that score would look like.

nuge

I don't like her dress sorry.Looks like she has a big tattoo on her back :shuffle: Great skate though!

lmarie086

Whoa. Someone please give Madi and Zach a lot of hugs! Gutted for them. :(

I thought they were a little shaky in spots today, but I never expected that to happen. :eek: I didn't think Zach traveled *that* much on the stationary lift to cause it to get a base level.
I hope they regroup quickly and get down to business to get ready for Worlds.... and drill everything.

lauravvv

lmarie086 - I thought he traveled quite noticeably. They also lost two levels on the spin again - that's 2 points right there. Something is not right with it, although it looks well executed on the surface. I hope they understand what it is.

lmarie086

Yes - I said that before I had gotten a chance to see it again. The lift does travel noticeably - so unfortunate. :( And I'm also concerned about the lost levels on the spin - a level 2 again, same as at GPF. I hope they iron out all these details - I would love to see what they could score if they really go *clean*.

Obviously, today did not go the way they were planning, but I hope they keep their heads up. This has been a wonderful year for them, and I think their best is still yet to come.

ryanj07

What a heartbreaking result for them today. I really hope they can figure out what’s going on with the levels between now and worlds. While this isn’t my favorite free dance of theirs, I don’t think it’s as weak as some say either. Hopefully this result motivates them to come roaring back.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
What happened at 4 CC today was a fluke. I am sure they will be more careful at worlds. Better make a mistake at 4CC than at worlds.

shuilee

The big problem is the Level 2 spin. They did what they intended to do, it's just that a stricter caller would claim the positions aren't difficult enough to be called a Level 3 or 4. They may have to start over from scratch with their dance spin construction to get level 4. Time is running out before Worlds unfortunately.

The stationary lift error was a fluke. But the level 2 spin worries me much more.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
it could be they were a bit too confident. I remember stationary lift traveling at GPF as well. That needs ot be fixed before Worlds, and I agree that spin is actually the bigger problem. Had the spin worked out as they intended, they would have been on the podium.

Still not happy about R&J, but it is what it is.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
The big problem is the Level 2 spin. They did what they intended to do, it's just that a stricter caller would claim the positions aren't difficult enough to be called a Level 3 or 4. They may have to start over from scratch with their dance spin construction to get level 4. Time is running out before Worlds unfortunately.

The stationary lift error was a fluke. But the level 2 spin worries me much more.
Yes me too because it was executed without a mistake, maybe a bit slow but nothing major. So you think it is because the positions are not difficult enough ? He does change twice of position though and her too. I thought maybe the entry and exit were not difficult enough. They had a level 2 at GPF so this is two points that could become crucial at Worlds when so many teams are hoovering around the same scores.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information