Canadian Ice Dance 2019/2020 season: News and Updates

RoseRed

Agree on the ice coverage. It’s a super difficult/relentless program. I don’t care that she’s not in a red dress. She’s wearing red for the FD, she doesn’t need one in the RD too. The black dress was gorgeous.

Regarding junior ice dance, it will be interesting to see if Skate Canada sends the YOG teams to JW along with Bron/Bour.

I also find it interesting that international judges seem to have D’A/W and M/G much closer in marks than judges in Canada. I think D’A/W are a bit overrated. Their FD does not look that difficult to me. Too much SBS skating, hand to hand skating and not enough time in a dance hold. M/G have more dance holds and more difficult transitions. But the FD is not that great IMO. Hope they’ll have a better theme and music next year.
Bashynska/Beaumont should probably get the spot over Makita/Gunara, given that they beat them at Challenge.

dramagrrl

I also find it interesting that international judges seem to have D’A/W and M/G much closer in marks than judges in Canada. I think D’A/W are a bit overrated. Their FD does not look that difficult to me. Too much SBS skating, hand to hand skating and not enough time in a dance hold.
I agree with this - plus the choreography, especially combined with the music choice, looks very dated.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying out Skate Canada's ice dance selections:

4CC:
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha
Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus

Junior Worlds:
Natalie D’Alessandro / Bruce Waddell
TBD
TBD

Worlds:
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha
TBD*
*To be determined after the 2020 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships

kates8

Since there are no other competitions for juniors I wonder why they won’t name the other two spots. I truly think it should be the two B/Bs but not sure what criteria they would be waiting for

Rafter

Since there are no other competitions for juniors I wonder why they won’t name the other two spots. I truly think it should be the two B/Bs but not sure what criteria they would be waiting for

Based on what should it be the two B/Bs? Because of Challenge scores? Let’s not forget that Makita/Gunara had the highest or second highest total scores on the JGP this past fall.

RoseRed

Based on what should it be the two B/Bs? Because of Challenge scores? Let’s not forget that Makita/Gunara had the highest or second highest total scores on the JGP this past fall.
Well, it's pretty simple that the National Champs should go, since we have 3 spots, so that's Bronsard/Bouaraguia. And Makita/Gunara may have had a JGP score a couple of points higher, but Bashynska/Beaumont beat them head to head at Challenge by several points. JGP scores weren't at the same event, and they weren't that different. I'd definitely send Ba/Be.

Erin

Banned Member

Bavarian Open has juniors. There are also options like having an internal camp, as the US does for singles.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Since there are no other competitions for juniors I wonder why they won’t name the other two spots.
There are some international B-level junior competitions out there, like the Bavarian Open, previously discussed. Skate Canada sent Lajoie/Lagha and Fabbri/Ayer there last year in the leadup to Junior Worlds. Unless they're going to schedule some other domestic skate-off, I'd guess that's what they're going to do again.

Irina Galiyanova (7th at Challenge with Grayson Lochhead; they WD from Nationals due to health issues, according to her Instagram) has listed herself on IPS. She has dual Canadian & Russian citizenship.
I liked that team, but if Grayson's health problems made it seem like a good time to retire, I wish him well in future endeavours. Irina has a lot of potential, so I hope she can find somebody to help her realize it.

Dobre

It's not simple at all. Bashynska & Beaumont, Makita & Gunara, and Bronsard & Bouaraguia have split results all season long. You couldn't divide up their results more evenly if you tried. I think sending them all out head-to-head would be 100% the right idea. Makita & Gunara and Bronsard & Bouaraguia have a 1/1 split. Makita & Gunara and Bashynska & Beaumont have a 1/2 split. Bashynska & Beaumont and Bronsard & Bouaraguia have a 2/2 split. Let's have a head-to-head battle and support whoever earns their way to Junior Worlds! This is Canada's best chance to send three teams. It won't be easy to duplicate for next season so I would really like to see this play out fairly.

Last edited:

kates8

It does look like there may be a Junior skate off at Bavarian open - there was a Carol Lane tweet recently that indicated Ba/Be and L/R and her novice team going there. Or maybe just extra experience for the teams as I don't see an official competitors list on the ISU website

Colonel Green

It does look like there may be a Junior skate off at Bavarian open - there was a Carol Lane tweet recently that indicated Ba/Be and L/R and her novice team going there. Or maybe just extra experience for the teams as I don't see an official competitors list on the ISU website
The German fed has put up an entry list, and all four top teams are going (Natalie & Bruce already have their spot, but they’re going for the experience).

Much deeper field than last year, when L/L and F/A pretty much had it to themselves.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I don't think this has been posted anywhere on the board yet: Bev Smith has an interview with F-B/S that goes into much more depth about his condition and the surgery. With regards to Worlds, they're just taking things a day at a time and seeing how he does before trying to make a decision.

clairecloutier

I don't think this has been posted anywhere on the board yet: Bev Smith has an interview with F-B/S that goes into much more depth about his condition and the surgery. With regards to Worlds, they're just taking things a day at a time and seeing how he does before trying to make a decision.

Thanks for that article, @Wyliefan. It was great and answered all my questions about what’s been happening. It sounds like Nik is doing everything he can to give this injury the best chance for full recovery. I would love to see them at Worlds, if his recovery permits, but if not, there’s always next year ...

screech

I liked the beigy one on her, but I didn't like the beige on him (too jarring with the black skates). The red is better on him, though I wish his shirt and pant colours either matched more or were more different.

Her red dress would be a stunning cocktail dress.

kalamalka

Well, tomorrow the battle for Junior Worlds commences at the Bavarian Open. The start order for the RD is up, and hoo boy did Miku & Tyler get screwed.
That was my first thought too when I saw the start order. The very first skaters out, when the three other teams are all in the final group. It's hard to compete with a skate order like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information