Canadian Ice Dance 2019/2020 season: News and Updates

Sylvia

TBD
Beverley Smith's article on the 2020 Canadian Junior Dance champions:

ETA:

Junior World team selection will be tough for the talented teams that will be left out. Based on Nationals and YOG, it looks to me like Bronsard/Bouaraguia, Bashynska/Beaumont and D'Alessandro/Waddell may likely end up being the 3 teams selected?

Link to the final standings for Junior Dance at Nationals: https://lamp.skatecanada.ca/results/2020CDNS/2020CDNSJuniorDanceCR.html
Top 6:
GOLD Emmy Bronsard / Aissa Bouaraguia 166.69 (100.76 FD)
SILVER Nadiia Bashynska / Peter Beaumont 165.57 (101.84 FD)
BRONZE Olivia McIsaac / Corey Circelli 146.73 (89.81 FD)
4th Jessica-Lee & Jackson Behiel 144.00 (88.11 FD)
5th Hannah Lim / Ye Quan 143.06 (84.43 FD)
6th Lily Hensen / Nathan Lickers 139.87 (87.65 FD)

Posted earlier in this thread:
Challenge Junior Dance top 7:
1 Natalie D'Alessandro / Bruce Waddell ON 69.79 (1) 104.53 (1) 174.32
2 Nadiia Bashynska / Peter Beaumont ON 64.99 (3) 101.74 (2) 166.73
3 Miku Makita / Tyler Gunara BC/YK 65.92 (2) 93.61 (4) 159.53
4 Emmy Bronsard / Aissa Bouaraguia QC 60.55 (4) 96.12 (3) 156.67
5 Jessica Li / Jacob Richmond QC 58.65 (6) 92.49 (5) 151.14
6 Olivia McIsaac / Corey Circelli ON 56.42 (8) 88.84 (6) 145.26
7 Irina Galiyanova / Grayson Lochhead ON 58.55 (7) 86.14 (7) 144.69

Final standings: https://lamp.skatecanada.ca/results/2020challenge/2020CHALLJuniorDanceCR.html

RD protocols: https://lamp.skatecanada.ca/results/2020challenge/2020CHALLJuniorDanceRD1DRO.html
Replay: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7omgk6

FD protocols: https://lamp.skatecanada.ca/results/2020challenge/2020CHALLJuniorDanceFD2DRO.html
Replay: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ong8j

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Natalie D’Alessandro and Bruce Waddell placed 4th (151.52) and Miku Makita and Tyler Gunara 5th (148.89) at the Youth Olympic Games in Lausanne:
Happily, Natalie & Bruce played an integral part (by placing 3rd in the FD segment with a new ISU PB score of 95.73) in helping "Team Vision" win the bronze medal in the Mixed NOC Team event yesterday.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

The individual event has to have been a big disappointment for Natalie & Bruce, but they've ended up exactly repeating Marjorie & Zach's Youth Olympics results: fourth in the individual and then the team event bronze. So they've got that Junior World title to look forward to in a few seasons.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

lexeoe

i wonder if Lolo and Nik will be using a medical bye? is it even worth it? can he be back on the ice in such a short time?

Colonel Green

i wonder if Lolo and Nik will be using a medical bye? is it even worth it? can he be back on the ice in such a short time?
Tracy indicated in the nationals commentary that they were hoping to make it back for Worlds. The fact that they haven't just said this is the end of their season already suggested as much.

TygerLily

Tracy indicated in the nationals commentary that they were hoping to make it back for Worlds. The fact that they haven't just said this is the end of their season already suggested as much.
I think someone (maybe Tracy) mentioned that the teams other than Gillis/Poirier are all fighting for the third worlds spot, so it seems like it's out there that F-B/S will be trying for a medical bye (and be in the mix for one of the spots).

Colonel Green

Marjorie's new RD dress is, on its own terms, a stunner look for her; but I don't see how it fits the program. Did they just think it would look better if she and Zach weren't wearing such similar colours?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Marjorie's new RD dress is, on its own terms, a stunner look for her; but I don't see how it fits the program. Did they just think it would look better if she and Zach weren't wearing such similar colours?

Yeah, it's not even remotely West Side Story. Not even Anita wore anything like that. In a way it reminds me of Evgenia Tarasova's black LP dress that looks nice but is utterly unrelated to the program.

Speaking of dresses, I continue to wish Carolane had gone back to the pale pink one. It was so much prettier.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Yes, but a red dress in the same style as the old one would fit the theme and look stunning on her. (The first time I saw them do the program, back in the fall, the color on my screen was off and I thought it WAS red! :lol: )

Dobre

This one is probably meant to make her look "mature." Same reason Anthony & Quinn are wearing facial hair & Smirnov has been turned into Averbuch and Shpilevaya is zipped into that catsuit. It really just highlights how young they all are.

euterpe

This one is probably meant to make her look "mature." Same reason Anthony & Quinn are wearing facial hair & Smirnov has been turned into Averbuch and Shpilevaya is zipped into that catsuit. It really just highlights how young they all are.

But Maria isn't supposed to be mature. She is a very young girl whose mother would faint away if she saw her that black sequinned number.

Maybe L/L shouldn't have picked West Side Story if they were concerned about looking too young.

riverzz

But Maria isn't supposed to be mature. She is a very young girl whose mother would faint away if she saw her that black sequinned number.

Maybe L/L shouldn't have picked West Side Story if they were concerned about looking too young.
They looked amazing live. The ice coverage was the best and the look was stunning. I had no idea how good they were until seeing them live.

ChiquitaBanana

Judges do not give points for matching the real story. They want skaters to look mature, overmost when they hail from juniors... Look > story in skating. Example ? Ilya Kulik skating to Rhapsody in blue in a girafe suit ... 🤣

Rafter

They looked amazing live. The ice coverage was the best and the look was stunning. I had no idea how good they were until seeing them live.

Agree on the ice coverage. It’s a super difficult/relentless program. I don’t care that she’s not in a red dress. She’s wearing red for the FD, she doesn’t need one in the RD too. The black dress was gorgeous.

Regarding junior ice dance, it will be interesting to see if Skate Canada sends the YOG teams to JW along with Bron/Bour.

I also find it interesting that international judges seem to have D’A/W and M/G much closer in marks than judges in Canada. I think D’A/W are a bit overrated. Their FD does not look that difficult to me. Too much SBS skating, hand to hand skating and not enough time in a dance hold. M/G have more dance holds and more difficult transitions. But the FD is not that great IMO. Hope they’ll have a better theme and music next year.

Rafter

Judges do not give points for matching the real story. They want skaters to look mature, overmost when they hail from juniors... Look > story in skating. Example ? Ilya Kulik skating to Rhapsody in blue in a girafe suit ... 🤣

Bingo!

Rafter

Regarding Makita & Gunara, maybe they need to look at some outside choreography next season?

Also wanted to comment on Hannah Lim. What a gorgeous skater and ice dancer she is! Such a star!

Rafter

I just went back and looked at the Challenge scores from Challenge for junior dance. I didn’t realize that D’A/W beat Makita/Gunara by such a huge margin. It’s very interesting that an ISU panel has their marks much closer. Weren’t they within one point or so in the RD and FD at YOG?

1. Natalie D’Alessandro/Bruce Waddell (ON) 174.32
2. Nadiia Bashynska/Peter Beaumont (ON) 166.73
3. Miku Makita/Tyler Gunara (B.C./YK) 159.53

Seems to me that Skate Canada is really pushing D’A/W for some reason. It’s confusing to me. They’re polished but I don’t think D’Alessandro is the strongest skater technically (compared to say Makita or Bronsard) and hence the reason they have easier looking programs than M/G and the two B&Bs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information