Canadian 2018 Olympic coverage

manhn

I thought so. But the website uses tsn and tsn1 interchangeably .

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Live. Showed all the skaters. Showed most of the warmups. Showed fluff pieces. NO COMMERCIAL BREAKS. CBC rocks! What a great first day.

You can go back to complaining about the commentary.

That was because there wasn't other sports taking place at the same time, just wait for the games to be full in force and that wont be the same

But you may see the skating full and almost complete at TSN

manhn

When I mention CBC, I mean tsn, sportsnet, etc. TSN will show all the skaters in the next two weeks. I am surprised there were no breaks.

Skate Talker

Is TSN and TSN1 the same thing?
When a program is airing on all 5 TSN channels they just list it as TSN (perhaps also in the event they haven't picked which one(s) of the 5 will show it). If particular TSN channels have been designated to show it, but not all then they list the specific numbers. Based on the detailed info on TSN's website they will be using TSN2 for non-olympic programming a lot.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
OK I'm freaking out a bit here. CBC doesn't show today's TE in their events of the day (either live, coming up, or replay). :( The only thing shown at 8pm eastern is snowboard. :wall:
If anyone finds a link to the live stream of the full event pleas post it here for me. Thanks.

ETA: OK panic over - the link to the live stream is there now. I am happy again :)

Last edited:

manhn

CBC, even though it is TSN. Showed all the skaters. Live. NO COMMERCIAL BREAKS AGAIN!!! But oh noes, Kurt mentions his own career on occasion. No chacking yet!

manhn

For the last night of the team event, they again showed all of the skaters and there was an actual commercial break--between C&L's performance and their kiss/cry. A few nice interviews of the whole teams.

They showed the flower ceremony, but we didn't see the skaters skate around the rink and get the photos taken with their flags.

WRT to the medal ceremony, they did show the team get their gold medals and we heard the anthem, but I wished that the entire ceremony was shown on TV. But that wasn't even done in Vancouver.

So far, so good. Now, onto the individual.

manhn

I was talking about tv coverage, sorry. I do not watch anything online.

luckiest1

Thanks shutterbug, I hadn't seen that interview! Love Scott, he's so attentive and supportive of each and every member of the team. <3

manhn

Pairs. All of them. NO COMMERCIAL BREAKS. The only flaw is they took a break during the final warmup. And I didn't see any interviews with S&B and MT&M. I like it when they interview all Canadians across all sports. Otherwise, great.

manhn

Pairs Free. All of them. TWO Commercial breaks. They interviewed all of the Canadian pairs. Not CBC's fault, but the host country did a rather poor job of filming the pairs. Many times we only saw one skater during a SBS element. And too many times where we don't see the man's legs during a lift or twist. And enough with the overhead shots.

And they showed the medal ceremony for pairs - in its entirety. That is great and all, but CBC hasn't done that for any of Canada's other medalists, let alone gold medalists. With the Team Event, we saw the Canadians get their medals and stand before the Anthem, but we didn't see OAR or the US get their medals. Same for the mixed curling and Kingsbury.

With pairs, we saw it from start to finish--even the German national anthem. I hope we see a full version for Bloeman.

Beyond skating, I am not recording every moment of the Olympics (that is non-skating related), like I did in 2010. I figure CBC will show any Canadian medalist's performance at some point, even if it's not live. And I know that the 10000m speedskating is a long event, but don't edit Jan Bloeman's skate! I want the entire 12-13 minutes!

manhn

Mens short. All of them. NO COMMERCIAL Break. There was an interview Keegan, but not Patrick. Weird. The coverage has been excellent.

manhn

Men free. All the skaters were shown. Much more frequent commercial breaks, and longer breaks, where we get back just to see scores. CBC has to make money, so not too upset. No flower ceremony. I guess they only show it if there is a Canadian on the podium?

Anemone

Has anyone been able to find anything about the Gala in terms of coverage? I've searched my tv guide and the CBC website and don't seem to see anything about either tv coverage or an online stream coverage of the gala, and the figure skating section of their schedule they have up says all events completed.

ETA: Also, did anyone else pick up on Carol Lane's comment about Junior Worlds being on CBC?

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Has anyone been able to find anything about the Gala in terms of coverage? I've searched my tv guide and the CBC website and don't seem to see anything about either tv coverage or an online stream coverage of the gala, and the figure skating section of their schedule they have up says all events completed.

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/vod/figure-skating-feb-gala-exhibition/ this is the link to the (eventual) live stream
CBC will be streaming the Figure Skating Gala event live on our website. The event takes place at 9:30am South Korea time on February 25th. (4.30-7PST)

CBC will also broadcast the event on CBC TV at 1pm ET the day of the event (however it won't be live).

So, this means that it will be streamed on Saturday, February 24th at 7:30 p.m. ET and broadcast on CBC on Sunday, February 25th at 1 p.m.

Anemone

Thank you! I searched quite a bit for an upcoming video link like that and couldn't find it.

Seerek

I'm slightly surprised that CBC allowed the commentators' mics to be "hot" and "live" continuously on the stream such that you could hear everything on the stream (breaks b/t the competitions, which would have normally been commercial breaks on TV).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information