Canadian 2018 Olympic coverage

Canadask8er

Hello everyone!

Long time since I last posted on FSU :) But I definitely keep my eye on all the conversations (good or bad LOL)

Just wondering if anyone has been able to find the Canadian Olympic figure skating coverage? I know it will likely be streamed - but looking for either afternoon or prime time coverage if there is any posted somewhere. I am assuming with the massive time difference that it will be either late night or wee hours of the morning and then not shown until prime time. I work regular hours and also have a 6 month old at home - so trying to plan my priorities here HAHA

Thanks in advance for your help!

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Hello everyone!

Long time since I last posted on FSU :) But I definitely keep my eye on all the conversations (good or bad LOL)

Just wondering if anyone has been able to find the Canadian Olympic figure skating coverage? I know it will likely be streamed - but looking for either afternoon or prime time coverage if there is any posted somewhere. I am assuming with the massive time difference that it will be either late night or wee hours of the morning and then not shown until prime time. I work regular hours and also have a 6 month old at home - so trying to plan my priorities here HAHA

Thanks in advance for your help!
Actually the figure skating will start at 8pm live eta which is early morning the next day in Korea. So there is the opportunity for good tv coverage but streaming will be your best bet as that will be live and likely show all the skaters?

luckiest1

So far all I've found is this:

http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/press...ts-for-english-language-coverage-of-pyeongcha

CBC’s English-language broadcast team filled with familiar play-by-play voices and expert analysts from across the world of winter sports will be led by studio hosts Scott Russell, Andi Petrillo, Alexandre Despatie, Kelly VanderBeek and Craig McMorris. Russell will host Olympic Games Primetime from 7 p.m.- 2 a.m. ET (4-11 p.m. PT) – which will feature live event coverage from an Olympic Winter Games in North American primetime for the first time since 2010 – while Petrillo will handle hosting duties for Olympic Games Morning alongside Despatie from 6 a.m.-12 p.m. ET (3-9 a.m. PT). In back-to-back years, Petrillo (2016) and Russell (2017) were recognized by the Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television with the Canadian Screen Award for Best Sports Host in a Sports Program or Series for their work with CBC Sports.

Joining CBC’s Olympic Games coverage for the first time as hosts, Craig McMorris and Kelly VanderBeek will helm Olympic Games Overnight from 2–6 a.m. ET (11 p.m.–3 a.m. PT).

If you look at the official site here, you can do the math to see that most of the events are in the evening our time.

Last edited:

WildRose

Actually the figure skating will start at 8pm live eta which is early morning the next day in Korea. So there is the opportunity for good tv coverage but streaming will be your best bet as that will be live and likely show all the skaters?

Last Olympics CBC showed all the skating live on TV. Everything is streamed as well. They will have an Olympic website up with full details, participants, schedules etc closer to the games. We are lucky in Canada, CBC does a good job of this.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Last Olympics CBC showed all the skating live on TV. Everything is streamed as well. They will have an Olympic website up with full details, participants, schedules etc closer to the games. We are lucky in Canada, CBC does a good job of this.
They are my favourite network!

manhn

It appears that the CBC/TSN/Sportsnet partnership will continue on for 2018. Skating in its "entirety" was shown on either TSN/Sportsnet in 2014, with highlights shown on CBC.

I quoted "entirety" because they did skip the occasional skater for no real good reason. The biggest omission, IIRC, was Gracie Gold's SP.

coppertop1

It appears that the CBC/TSN/Sportsnet partnership will continue on for 2018. Skating in its "entirety" was shown on either TSN/Sportsnet in 2014, with highlights shown on CBC.

I quoted "entirety" because they did skip the occasional skater for no real good reason. The biggest omission, IIRC, was Gracie Gold's SP.

They did show Gracie's SP

manhn

On the CBC feed, when they were showing highlights. Not on the TSN live broadcast.

Sally1214

I'm keeping an eye out for the CBC coverage as well. So far, when I checked their site, it just showed all the times they were broadcasting Olympic events but not specifying which events were being shown in those time slots. Hopefully, we get a breakdown for figure skating coverage soon.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I'm keeping an eye out for the CBC coverage as well. So far, when I checked their site, it just showed all the times they were broadcasting Olympic events but not specifying which events were being shown in those time slots. Hopefully, we get a breakdown for figure skating coverage soon.
i haven't even found that on their site. Do you have a link?

Seerek

Brenda Irving was also assigned to Sochi, right? At least she got a chance to brush up somewhat with Four Continents this weekend.

Sally1214

i haven't even found that on their site. Do you have a link?

Sorry, I've been offline for about 10-11 hours and didn't know you had asked for a link. It's pretty much useless as it mostly just says Overnight, Morning, Afternoon & Primetime with times for each. No individual sports mentioned except hockey games. There will have to provide something much better than this. Here's the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/broadcast

Edited to add: If you click on "figure skating" in the top bar of the CBC site, you go to the "Road to the Olympics - Figure Skating" page. Click on "schedule." Scroll down to "Olympic Games" & click on it. Then, you will get a screen that lists the individual events with starting/ending dates (i.e. Feb. 8-12 for "TEAM"), followed (across the page) by the numbers 1. 2. 3. This leads me to believe that the events are going to be split between the main CBC network, TSN & Sportsnet. If you click on "singles" for the MEN, WOMEN, ICE DANCE & PAIRS, you will go to a new page that gives the times of the events.

Last edited:

Sally1214

If you don't have the time or don't want to be bothered jumping through all the hoops I've described above, this is the information that is on the site right now.

Olympic Games 2017/2018 – CBC

TEAM - Feb. 8-12

Thursday Feb 8 - 8:00 PM & 9:45 pm
Saturday Feb. 10 - 8:00 pm & 9:45 pm

PAIRS
Tuesday Feb. 13 - 8:00 pm – Short Program
Wedsnesday Feb. 14 - 8:30 pm – Free Program

Men
Thursday Feb. 15 – 8:00 pm – Short Program
Friday Feb. 16 – 8:00 - Free Program

ICE DANCE
Sunday Feb 18 – 8:00pm – Short Dance
Monday Feb. 19 – 8:00 pm – Free Dance

Women
Tuesday Feb. 20 - 8:00pm – Short Program
Thursday Feb. 22 – 8:00 pm – Free Program

Whether this is all on CBC or divided between CBC/TSN/Sportsnet remains to be seen. Also, since everything seems to be starting at 8-8:30 pm., this could just be the time their "Primetime" show starts & more specific times will be given for the skating events. I hope so.

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
CBC has finally their olympic website up
https://olympics.cbc.ca/

and here you have their planned tv schedule
https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/tv-guide/#d=-1

And the (messy) figure skating coverage looks like this as of today (tv times for the ladies short/free is not up yet)

February 8
19:00-22:00 CBC & TSN Team Event

February 10
20:00-00:45 – TSN1 Short Dance, Women’s Short, Pairs Free

February 11
19:00-02:00 CBC Team Event (And Alpine Skiing)

February 13
19:00-02:00 CBC Snowboarding, Figure Skating, Alpine Skiing
20:00-23:30 TSN1 Figure Skating Pairs Short

February 14
19:00-02:00 CBC Skeleton, Alpine Skiing, Hockey, Figure Skating

February 15
23:00-03:00 CBC – Men’s Short Program (Highlights) Cross Country, Hockey
19:00-21:30 TSN1 – It’s not clear if they will show the Men’s Short Live though they only have skeleton finals from 16:30 to 19:00 so it might be possible they will switch to live skating.

February 16
17:00-21:00 TSN1 - Men’s Free Skate

February 18
Short Dance is a mess, spread between 3 channels
CBC – will show Canadian couples and top contenders but coverage is mixed with other sports
20:00-22:00 TSN2 – First groups
22:30-03:00 Sportsnet – It looks will take the skating from TSN2 and may repeat the first groups after the session finishes.

February 19
19:00-02:00 CBC – Will show the final groups, after other sports (Curling, Bosled, Skiing)
20:00-23:30 TSN1 – Free Dance

So the main CBC channel will be just like NBC, they will show the final 2 groups only. You will have to watch on TSN1/TSN2/Sportsnet for the entire session

Or use the option of dedicated streaming via their online website/app like in the case of the Pairs Free and Men's Short that is not clear or has TV time on either TSN channels

;)

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Below is updated information on the skating schedule based on the coloured schedule from the ISU website. Note that events shown on the schedule as starting at 10 a.m. on a given day in Korea begin 14 hours earlier in Eastern Time, ie. 8 p.m. on the previous day.

The TV Guides for CBC/SN/SN1/TSN/TSN2 and for the French CBC/RDS/RDS2 and now partially available from the CBC Olympics page - they seem to go only as far as Feb. 19th in English and have very little entered in French. The schedule for day minus 1 begins here: https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/tv-guide/#d=-1

I have not been able to find anything for live streaming so far.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PyeongChang Olympics – Figure Skating Schedule – Times in ET (14 hours behind Korea)

TEAM EVENT - Feb. 8-11

Thursday Feb. 8 - 8:00 PM – Men’s SP & 9:45 pm – Pairs SP
Saturday Feb. 10 - 8:00 pm – Short dance, 9:45 pm – Ladies SP & 11:40 p.m. – Pairs FP
Sunday Feb. 11 - 8:00 pm – Men’s FS, 9:10 pm – Ladies FS & 10:20 p.m. – Free Dance

PAIRS – Feb. 13-14
Tuesday Feb. 13 - 8:00 pm – Short Program
Wednesday Feb. 14 - 8:30 pm – Free Program

MEN – Feb. 15-16
Thursday Feb. 15 – 8:00 pm – Short Program
Friday Feb. 16 – 8:00 - Free Program

ICE DANCE – Feb. 18-19
Sunday Feb 18 – 8:00pm – Short Dance
Monday Feb. 19 – 8:00 pm – Free Dance

WOMEN – Feb. 20 & 22
Tuesday Feb. 20 - 8:00pm – Short Program
Thursday Feb. 22 – 8:00 pm – Free Program

EXHIBITION GALA

Saturday, Feb. 24 – 7:30 p.m.

Last edited:

WildRose

CBC has finally their olympic website up
https://olympics.cbc.ca/

and here you have their planned tv schedule
https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/tv-guide/#d=-1

And the (messy) figure skating coverage looks like this as of today (tv times for the ladies short/free is not up yet)

February 8
19:00-22:00 CBC & TSN Team Event

February 10
20:00-00:45 – TSN1 Short Dance, Women’s Short, Pairs Free

February 11
19:00-02:00 CBC Team Event (And Alpine Skiing)

February 13
19:00-02:00 CBC Snowboarding, Figure Skating, Alpine Skiing
20:00-23:30 TSN1 Figure Skating Pairs Short

February 14
19:00-02:00 CBC Skeleton, Alpine Skiing, Hockey, Figure Skating

February 15
23:00-03:00 CBC – Men’s Short Program (Highlights) Cross Country, Hockey
19:00-21:30 TSN1 – It’s not clear if they will show the Men’s Short Live though they only have skeleton finals from 16:30 to 19:00 so it might be possible they will switch to live skating.

February 16
17:00-21:00 TSN1 - Men’s Free Skate

February 18
Short Dance is a mess, spread between 3 channels
CBC – will show Canadian couples and top contenders but coverage is mixed with other sports
20:00-22:00 TSN2 – First groups
22:30-03:00 Sportsnet – It looks will take the skating from TSN2 and may repeat the first groups after the session finishes.

February 19
19:00-02:00 CBC – Will show the final groups, after other sports (Curling, Bosled, Skiing)
20:00-23:30 TSN1 – Free Dance

So the main CBC channel will be just like NBC, they will show the final 2 groups only. You will have to watch on TSN1/TSN2/Sportsnet for the entire session

Or use the option of dedicated streaming via their online website/app like in the case of the Pairs Free and Men's Short that is not clear or has TV time on either TSN channels

;)
Thanks - I was expecting I’d need TSN, ordering it for one month now

WildRose

I’m pretty sure the CBC Olympic website doesn’t have all the info in it yet - they don’t have their apps up yet either. If you go to the help section under “Where is the schedule for TV and online streaming it says:
“You can find the daily television and streaming schedule on the CBC Olympic site under the Schedule tab or https://olympics.cbc.ca/schedule/
I expect the streaming links will be inserted later just as they are for regular ISU events.

The help section also says you will only be able to access live streaming inside Canada:
https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/art...Games-can-I-still-access-CBC-Sports-coverage-
“You will not be able to use the CBC Olympic app or access our coverage via cbc.ca/olympics while you are outside Canada. You can only access CBC Sports Olympic Winter Games coverage while in Canada with a Canadian Internet Protocol (IP) address.”

Braulio

@Braulio have you found anything about cbc live streaming the events?

Though is not yet posted (or available of course) they will have a section for full event replays of anything that airs on tv (CBC, TSN, Sportsnet) and the dedicated streams (with or no commentary) like they had for the Rio Games

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/full-event-replays/

and the figure skating links for the live streaming will be here (yet to be completed with the ladies short and free) you can also sort the sport you want to watch or have the links for the broadcast too

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/whats-on-tv/#s=fs

In the end you can be sure and safe that all the events from the Olympics will be available live and on demand as they did in 2016, I watched using VPN and the broadcast was pretty good

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
From yesterday's CBC press release at http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/press...d-multi-platform-coverage-of-pyeongchang-2018

The Canadian home of the Olympic Winter Games online continues to be cbc.ca/olympics, offering live and on-demand video, schedules, up-to-date results, medal table, news, Team Canada info, photo galleries and highlights. For the second consecutive Olympic Games, CBC’s website offers virtual reality technology in the form of 360-degree immersive video and a schedule of daily live VR coverage. Every minute of the action will be available via CBC’s digital coverage, with live feeds of every event, and live feeds of CBC, TSN and Sportsnet linear channels. Fans also have the option of dual-screen live video, allowing them to watch two different feeds at once.

Braulio

Dual screen coverage - how cool is that :)

On paper looks cool but on reality is just a small screen inside the main one, it comes a bit annoying IMO because you can't really concentrate on one

it could work with some sports (like gymnastics) but with figure skating I don't see much point

WildRose

On paper looks cool but on reality is just a small screen inside the main one, it comes a bit annoying IMO because you can't really concentrate on one

it could work with some sports (like gymnastics) but with figure skating I don't see much point

Thanks - I was thinking split screen and got all excited - LOL. I wouldn’t do it with figure skating but I thought it might come in handy watching other sports.

WildRose

http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/press...rage-of-the-pyeongchang-2018-opening-ceremony

February 5, 2018CBC invites Canadians to rise and shine on Friday, February 9 to mark the official start of the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 with its extensive live coverage of the Opening Ceremony, beginning at 5:30 a.m. ET (2:30 a.m. PT). Whether commuting to work or staying warm in bed, Canadians won’t miss a moment of the excitement at the Olympic Stadium, with live coverage broadcast on CBC, CBC News Network, TSN and Sportsnet, and live-streaming at cbc.ca/olympics, on the CBC Olympics app for iOS and Android devices, and the CBC Olympics VR app, presented by Samsung.

luckiest1

The Olympic app is weird. The schedule calendar is confusing, it lists Feb. 8 as Wednesday. I realize there is a time difference but I don’t think it’s intuitive to lay it out that way. Also, I don’t see any of the team figure skating events in the “upcoming events” section. Hopefully it works better once things get underway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information