Boring Facts About You

hanca

Values her privacy
Boring fact about me: I hate onions.
I love onions. Garlic too. But I had to learn to cook without both because our dogs are finishing whatever we don’t eat. I hate waste of food and there is always a portion or two extra... I never realised before how frequently I used to use garlic or onion in my cooking.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I love onions. Garlic too. But I had to learn to cook without both because our dogs are finishing whatever we don’t eat. I hate waste of food and there is always a portion or two extra... I never realised before how frequently I used to use garlic or onion in my cooking.
I love garlic and sometimes our entire flat smells of garlic after I had cooked something. But onions...nah...never.

hanca

Values her privacy
I have two new display shelves and I can’t wait to put rocks on them. This is the most exciting thing of my week so far!
You would probably like my wall. Four display cabinets, three of them with 24 display units each and the last one with 12 (bigger) display units. Nearly all are full of stones, of course. (Though there are still some spaces for a few more.) And it has sliding doors so that it doesn’t get dusty.

quartz

scratching at the light
I have a Cape Cod house with tons of windows so not much wall space. All my rocks are a little bit here and a little bit there. An entire display wall of rocks would be a fantasy house for me.

skylark

I have windows galore in my house, some of them doubles. All energy efficient. And we get glorious skyscapes for hours before and after sunset. No paintings needed. I love space and light! I won't let my husband put up curtains or shades in our new addition. We just dress in the dark. We live in a sparsely populated area with only our willows, a tall hedge, birch and pine trees, wildflowers, huge black walnut tree, and a gravel road to the west.

quartz

scratching at the light
I have windows galore in my house, some of them doubles. All energy efficient. And we get glorious skyscapes for hours before and after sunset. No paintings needed. I love space and light! I won't let my husband put up curtains or shades in our new addition. We just dress in the dark. We live in a sparsely populated area with only our willows, a tall hedge, birch and pine trees, wildflowers, huge black walnut tree, and a gravel road to the west.
I have a shrub...and a half-dead tree...and neighbours...:lol:

Last edited:

Japanfan

I love onions. Garlic too. But I had to learn to cook without both because our dogs are finishing whatever we don’t eat. I hate waste of food and there is always a portion or two extra.

:confused:
I've not heard that dogs shouldn't have garlic and onions. All of ours have had them when getting leftovers or licking plates - hasn't appeared to harm any of them.

hanca

Values her privacy
:confused:
I've not heard that dogs shouldn't have garlic and onions. All of ours have had them when getting leftovers or licking plates - hasn't appeared to harm any of them.
My husband told me. And then I checked it on the internet and it seems to be true, at least, many dog websites say the same. Apparently it can kill dogs. No garlic, no onion, no grapes and raisins and no chocolate. I would really love to cook with garlic and onion, but it is not worth risking their lives.

If you don’t believe, put in google ‘can dogs eat onion...’

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
This is a fabulous onion soup by Jamie Oliver - includes several types of onions, shallots and leeks slowly cooked down, and then he puts an English twist on it by using fresh sage and cheddar instead of the usual gruyere or Swiss. I've made this many times, works every time, and if you have extra you can easily freeze it.

jadingirl

My dog loved chocolate. He use to get his own box of rosebuds for Christmas and we would always give him a small piece of birthday cake on our birthdays. He was 18 when he died.

We never heard it was toxic when we first got him in 1980. by the time we heard about it being bad for him he was already older.

kedrin

My dog- who ate everything else, simply wouldn't eat onions or garlic that dropped on the floor. She did once eat an entire box of chocolate, though, and didn't seem any worse for wear. (I knew that dogs weren't supposed to eat chocolate, so I did keep a good eye on her, but she was fine).

skatingguy

decently
When I was a kid we gave our dog chocolate cake for her first birthday - no negative effects & didn't know it was bad for them, though I think it's more the pure unsweetened chocolate that is the problem, and not something that most of us would actually eat as is.

Susan1

My dog- who ate everything else, simply wouldn't eat onions or garlic that dropped on the floor. She did once eat an entire box of chocolate, though, and didn't seem any worse for wear. (I knew that dogs weren't supposed to eat chocolate, so I did keep a good eye on her, but she was fine).
There was a dogs and celery discussion somewhere..........
I used to give Sadie bites of chocolate cake or candy or let her lick the bowl after pudding or something, but never a whole chocolate anything. Chocolate is the only thing that made her drool while she was watching me eat it. Right after we moved into a new house, she got up on the breakfast bar from the chair in the living room and ate half a bag of Hershey Kisses (and foil), tore the box of Ritz Bits literally in half and ate whatever was left in there (not a whole box full) AND 5 cough drops. Or at least that's how many wrappers my dad found. They were only unwrapped at one end!!! My dad went over to do my bathroom wallpaper border and found all that. And my mugs and paper and pens that were on the breakfast bar scattered all over the dining room. He said at first he thought somebody broke in. I called our vet as soon as I got home, and he said just to watch her for any bad reactions. There weren't any. Man. I didn't keep edible stuff there anymore, but she kept jumping up there for a couple more days. I was more worried about her falling and getting hurt, but I couldn't move the chair anywhere because she might try to get up there from farther away. Goofy dog.

Japanfan

My husband told me. And then I checked it on the internet and it seems to be true, at least, many dog websites say the same. Apparently it can kill dogs. No garlic, no onion, no grapes and raisins and no chocolate. I would really love to cook with garlic and onion, but it is not worth risking their lives.

If you don’t believe, put in google ‘can dogs eat onion...’

Yes, I see.

I guess we've been okay because we have not included garlic and onions in our dogs' recipes - it's not in their kibble. They've only had teeny bits when cleaning empty pots/plates.

I would also never give chocolate to a dog. I have dog treats on hand.

hanca

Values her privacy
Yes, I see.

I guess we've been okay because we have not included garlic and onions in our dogs' recipes - it's not in their kibble. They've only had teeny bits when cleaning empty pots/plates.

I would also never give chocolate to a dog. I have dog treats on hand.
Yes, that may be the difference. Our dogs don’t just have tiny bit of whatever was left on the plate. If I cook too much (and that happens quite often), they get their own portion each. So any onion/garlic could be dangerous for them.

My colleague’s dog was very ill after they had Indian take away and their dog stole an onion bhaji. The dog survived (they took him to vet immediately) but the dog spent about a week in a pet hospital and it was quite expensive and nerve wracking experience for everyone. They thought they were going to lose him.

Japanfan

I think I will drink some prosecco tonight to welcome 2021.

I always find the bubbly unsatisfying - probably because we only ever get the cheap stuff.

So we have a nice bottle of red, and a nice mix of cheeses/pates/breads to celebrate.

But I'm not exactly welcoming this year, as it means two major surgeries for me - dental and hip.

But time does march on, as always.

And I am so grateful to be living on the west coast of Canada, where we are doing relatively well with regard to ******.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
We had a family dog who LOVED chocolate and pulled off the most amazing hijinks to get to it. She once while we were gone shoved a chair to the counter, lept on the counter, and absconded with a Harry & David bar and hid the wrapper evidence under the sofa! She was also a snob—would go after my mom’s Godiva but left my dad’s Hersheys alone. It was so concerning we asked our vet and this is what he said: while it’s not good for dogs, they’d have to eat about a pound before it became toxic.

Pepper dog lived to be 21. The day we had to put her down, we bought her a box of Godiva truffles. I will say though I would never just give a dog chocolate—Pepper lived a long time but she had false pregnancies and other small health issues that were probably related to her candy capers.

Rob

Beach Bum
The highlight of my day today was sitting in the car waiting for the vet to do blood work on my cat. It was a nice and sunny and warm Winter day. Cat is hyperthyroid and we’re trying to get the meds right.
Then I did laundry, love laundry, hate ironing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information