• Liz Manley (1998)

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It is tough to pick just one out of so many great silver medal performances in the Olympics.

Pick 2 best LP performances by ladies winning Silver medal in the Olympics.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I’m going to go what I think was unjust and Nancy even though I probably have one or two other ones I would pick instead because it really was her best skate and it’s so inconceivable the judge just said “I didn’t see her do a triple-triple” when she did.

I mean WTF?

jenny12

I think this is a tough choice between Michelle Kwan, Yu-Na Kim, and Nancy Kerrigan.

Michelle Kwan dealt with the immense pressure with such grace and while I know there were some criticisms of the Olympic performance not being as free as the Nationals, she still was essentially clean and gave an authentic performance full of integrity.

Yu-Na Kim’s skill in terms of jumps and speed was top notch. Perhaps could have been slightly more invested in the performance but it was still all class.

Nancy Kerrigan gave her best ever performance which included a triple-triple. In spite of some, shall we say, interesting choreography in some parts of the program, I think she created a legitimate Olympic moment with her performance both because of and in spite of what happened to her.

alj5

Also going Kwan & Kerrigan. But Kim & Med were really close.

Liz skated great in the LP for sure. But I had to go with the ones who imho outskated the winner.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
There are different ways to look at this poll. Best LP performance as in 1) Comparing the programs against every other silver medalist LP in history or 2) Comparing the performance in the perspective of their time/era. Since I really can't compare an 80s program with a 7 triple 2018 program I'm just going to rate those that were amazing in their time. Medvedeva did a clean program but it was not noteworthy from an athletic nor an artistic point of view. Kim didn't amaze or do anything new or improved. Asada? I don't even remember the program, since it was so dark and did not enhance any of Asada's natural abilities. Cohen? No way, though it probably is my favorite of all Cohen's performances. Slute was blah. Kwan was clean, but wasn't doing anything out of this world, certainly Tara performed better that night. Kerrigan? Okay, it was good and possibly/probably deserved gold. Ito was disappointing. So it's down to Elizabeth Manley, and in my opinion she did the best silver medal Olympic performance. 3ltuz, 3loop, which her peers weren't all doing. The audience was totally for her. A winning free skate.

Liz and Nancy, my picks.

blue_idealist

Really difficult choice, but I went with Med and Kim, since those performances could have won most other Olympic Games. It was hard to not vote for Kwan or Kerrigan since Kwan was sublime (although less technically good than Tara) and I actually think Kerrigan should've won over Oksana, but the '94 Olympics were weak for ladies in comparison to some of the other Games.

caseyedwards

Definitely slutskaya in 2002 and having forgotten all about her mistakes at the beginning by the end Sasha Cohen in 2006!!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Definitely slutskaya in 2002 and having forgotten all about her mistakes at the beginning by the end Sasha Cohen in 2006!!
Seeing how the pitched-forward 3F came 3 minutes into the program, I'm not so sure that argument holds. :lol:

[edited to say I understand what you mean now, but the Slutskaya choice is still 👀 questionable 🤨]

Last edited:

briancoogaert

Very, very hard to choose !

All of Manley, Ito, Kerrigan, Kwan, Asada, Kim, Medvedeva could have won.

My vote goes to Kwan, because she was so perfect, so touching, and that I love her skating.
My second vote goes to Kerrigan, because really, she should have won (IMHO). Her best performance.

bardtoob

Kwan was my first choice, but could have substituted Medvedeva.

Kim was my second choice, but I could have substituted Kerrigan.

timwarpingout

Yu Na Kim and Medvedeva were my choices, simply since they would win against any of the others. Yu Na is also the only one undisputably, unquestionably, and without any real debate robbed of winning, while others like Kerrigan or Medvedeva or maybe Kwan are only debateable at best.

I mean you can pick someone like Kerrigan for personal performance, but in a head to head competition Medvedeva from 2018, Kwan from 98, Kim from 2014, even Asada in 2010 despite the mistakes, would all absolutely destroy her 94 silver long program skate, both under 6.0 or IJS. Even Arakawa with her 5 triples, but the quality of her jumps, spins, and basic skating would easily beat her. Only 5 triples, the easiest triple-triple, one small triple lutz, no triple flip, weak spins, and only fair artistry, with a cheestastic pops number. The only reason many think she was robbed of gold was the standard in 94 was so low, and as it was 3 triple Oksana still beat her, even if controversially. Even in 92 which was a splatfest and dissapointment, she probably would still have no chance to lift over her 92 bronze even with the same skates, despite being a huge improvement from her actual 92 skate. So if you are going by personal performance Kerrigan could be a pick but if you are going by actual quality of skating only Irina's silver skate in 2006 might be worse. Ito in 92 and probably Manley in 88 blow her away too.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I voted for the unexpected...skated above expectations on that night:

Manley - the surprise shocker LP of the century!

Ito - bounced from a real lull that got worse all week, awakening just at the right time

Kwan underperformed in both of her outings, especially 1998 (tense)

timwarpingout

Not sure why Kwan is leading this poll. Definitely would not be the winner in a head to head competition of all these, and was not one of the best personal performances either given that she skated way better numerous times that same season, which is why I presume Kerrigan gets a lot of votes, even though nearly everyone on the list would destroy her going head to head. Guess it is popularity.

bardtoob

I presume Kerrigan gets a lot of votes, even though nearly everyone on the list would destroy her going head to head. Guess it is popularity.
:rofl: Nancy popular?!? What could possibly be endearing about her? That Ice Princess was annoyed being a Disney Princess and said so during the middle of a parade down Main Street U.S.A. :rofl:

The reality is that Jan Hoffman saying he didn't see Nancy's 3-3 or he would have ranked her higher was as bad as when the judge at the 2014 Olympics said he used the judging system wrong when scoring skaters, which cost Kim the OGM, because he couldn't read English.

Jan Hoffman must have been so jaded by the 1980 Olympics, where he literally scored more points than the winner but still got second. It probably also didn't help that his own coach probably sold him up the creek.

Last edited:

Marco

Kwan in 1998 all the way. Medvedeva in 2018 and Kim in 2014 just didn't have the heart in the performances. Very mechanical. Kwan was also criticised as tentative in 1998 but the joy oozing out of her body towards the end was incredible.

S

SmallFairy

I'll go with Manley and Kwan. Manley was on fire, and Kwan was lovely, I really enjoyed the concept of Lyra Angelica and how she performed it. And I was never her crazy über. I hadn't seen her National performance back then, Olympics was her first outing of the program for me, and I didn't feel she was holding back.

I could have voted for Kerrigan, as she clearly should have won that night. Maybe not the most exciting skater, but a really good program when it counted the most.

VGThuy

Not sure why Kwan is leading this poll. Definitely would not be the winner in a head to head competition of all these, and was not one of the best personal performances either given that she skated way better numerous times that same season, which is why I presume Kerrigan gets a lot of votes, even though nearly everyone on the list would destroy her going head to head. Guess it is popularity.
Because :glamor:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I don't understand why anyone thinks that comparing skaters from completely different eras based on "which performance would win head to head" makes sense. Of course more recent skates are of a higher technical caliber, but so what. They should be evaluated against the time they were skating, not against today's standards.

VGThuy

I don't understand why anyone thinks that comparing skaters from completely different eras based on "which performance would win head to head" makes sense. Of course more recent skates are of a higher technical caliber, but so what. They should be evaluated against the time they were skating, not against today's standards.
That's exactly right.

Every generation has benefitted from the progress either technically, artistically, or both from the previous generation. Everything is related. Yuna Kim developed as a skater 10 years after Kwan was developing as a skater, the baby ballerinas of the early 2000s developed a few years after Kwan's generation and saw the weaknesses of the previous generation that they could exploit to give them a competitive edge (spins and flexibility), Lipinski/Slutskaya/Kwan's 7-triple era was a result of the jumping revolutionaries of the late 1980s and early 1990s, who benefitted from the strides made by the first ladies attempting triples before them (and being allowed more time to work on free skating and triples with compulsories gone), so on and so forth.

On My Own

The reality is that Jan Hoffman saying he didn't see Nancy's 3-3 or he would have ranked her higher was as bad as when the judge at the 2014 Olympics said he used the judging system wrong when scoring skaters, which cost Kim the OGM, because he couldn't read English.
...This is brand new information to me. Is there a link to this snippet, or is it your sense humour that I don't get?

bardtoob

Last edited:

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Not sure why Kwan is leading this poll. Definitely would not be the winner in a head to head competition of all these, and was not one of the best personal performances either given that she skated way better numerous times that same season
Michelle Kwan had more artistry in her left fingertip than Miss Kim's mechanical skate-by-numbers performance in 2014.
Guess it is popularity.
This should not be a difficult concept to grasp,dear: it is called feeling the music and fostering an emotional connection with the audience. Few skaters have this. Many do not.

-BB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information