Best ice dance team that did Not win the OGM

Pick the Best Ice dance team that did not win OGM (though competed)

• Usova/Zhulin

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Krylova/Ovssianikov

Votes: 21 13.0%
  • Papadakis/Cizeron (2018)

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • Belbin/Agosto

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Wilson/McCall

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Denkova/Staviski

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Bourne/Kratz

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Duchesnay/Duchesnay

• Lobacheva/Averbukh

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Definitely. The debut performance was probably their best. Best costumes, for sure. Too bad they struggled with injuries(?) that season and couldn't skate it up to full potential at Worlds.

That was great! I only remembered it from Worlds, and that wasn’t nearly as good. Nice to see Kraatz so happy at the end. Christopher Dean did do some great choreo around this time… I think this was the year before he did Anytime Anywhere for Lang/Tchernyshev, you can tell both programmes were Dean just by some of the holds :)

Erin

Banned Member
Definitely. The debut performance was probably their best. Best costumes, for sure. Too bad they struggled with injuries(?) that season and couldn't skate it up to full potential at Worlds.

Yes, Shae-Lynn was injured for most of that season - the injury that kept her out of 2000 Worlds was already a problem in 1999 and I think it really showed with their performance in Helsinki and their disastrous fall 1999 season. In retrospect, I wonder if they would have been better off if she had gotten surgery immediately after 1999 Worlds and taken the 1999 GP season off, although they still would have had the Harry Connick Jr program that didn’t go over well. It’s funny that their choreography for themselves was such a bad idea but that Shae-Lynn still turned out to be a really good choreographer for other people.

blue_idealist

I've always assumed if B/K didn't fall at the very end of the FD, they would have won bronze. Is that true? Or could we have had another Olympic scoring scandal?

I don't think they would've since the judges favoured FP/M over them at that point. If things were really fair then after FP/M and B/K fell, D/V would have been ranked ahead of them, and they weren't.

timwarpingout

It has to be either Usova & Zhulin or Krylova & Ovsiannikov. Can't really pick Denkova & Stayviski when there wasn't even an Olympics they were a gold contender at, and arguably no Olympics they were even favored to win a medal of any color (contender for a medal in 2006, but not sure if favored for one).

emason

I’m in a pissy mood due to personal issues, so while in my heart of hearts it’s Denkova and Staviski, instead I’ll go with Blumberg and Siebert, who got rooked out of a bronze, just so I can see the flaming comments I get.

VGThuy

It has to be either Usova & Zhulin or Krylova & Ovsiannikov. Can't really pick Denkova & Stayviski when there wasn't even an Olympics they were a gold contender at, and arguably no Olympics they were even favored to win a medal of any color (contender for a medal in 2006, but not sure if favored for one).
I can’t hold that against them because it was beyond their control. The politics really made them disposable.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Denkova/Staviski were my easy choice. I’ve watched their baroque OD and 7 Deadly Sins FD many times. I also negated P/C since I’m hoping they win this year but please god no more voiceovers!

timwarpingout

I can’t hold that against them because it was beyond their control. The politics really made them disposable.

I agree to a large extent, although their drop down in 2005 which greatly hurt their 2006 chances was largely their own fault. Horrible programs and packaging that year. And if we are being realistic if you drop well down in the rankings the season before the Olympic season, you aren't going to pop up and be a real gold contender for the Olympics no matter what, atleast not in dance or even pairs you won't. Singles occasionaly.

timwarpingout

I’m in a pissy mood due to personal issues, so while in my heart of hearts it’s Denkova and Staviski, instead I’ll go with Blumberg and Siebert, who got rooked out of a bronze, just so I can see the flaming comments I get.
IMO Blumberg & Seibert were robbed of silver that year in fact.

VGThuy

I agree to a large extent, although their drop down in 2005 which greatly hurt their 2006 chances was largely their own fault. Horrible programs and packaging that year. And if we are being realistic if you drop well down in the rankings the season before the Olympic season, you aren't going to pop up and be a real gold contender for the Olympics no matter what, atleast not in dance or even pairs you won't. Singles occasionaly.
But they sure came back and won Worlds. Very funny change of circumstances once Navka and Grushons were out of the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information