Best Cowboy Western Programs

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Here is one I just saw for the first time the other day. Johnny Ronne Jensen of Denmark from 1999, perhaps taking a little bit of concepts from his teammate Tyllesen and Frenchmen Candeloro and Millot. It looks like the ending was incredibly epic, but completely ruined by horrible camerawork. You’ll see.

Skate Talker

From memory, there were quite a few cowboy themed programs at the 1988 Olympic Games in Calgary.
Here are just a few I could find on YouTube.

Claudia Leistner's short program
Heiko Fisher's short program
The Seybolds' short program

I believe several ladies from China, North and South Korea, also used C & W music. But, I haven't been able to find any links on YouTube.
Lots of Western numbers to be sure. Kurt Browning also had a western themed long program - Aaron Copeland's Grand Canyon Suite - Billy the Kid. I couldn't find a link to the Olympic version but of course he had a much better skate 2 weeks later at the World Championships anyway with the first ratified quad in competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuqfagJDjQ

Japanfan

My vote goes here too.

Me as well.

This was the program S/H skated to the first time I saw them live - had not previously seen them on TV either, IIRC.

I saw them in the concourse during intermission, and wanted to go up to them and tell them how much I enjoyed the program. But there was no chance of that, as the was already a huge line-up of fans wanting to do the same.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Lots of Western numbers to be sure. Kurt Browning also had a western themed long program - Aaron Copeland's Grand Canyon Suite - Billy the Kid. I couldn't find a link to the Olympic version but of course he had a much better skate 2 weeks later at the World Championships anyway with the first ratified quad in competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuqfagJDjQ

You could certainly see the future potential in Calgary and Budapest.

Browning dramatically improved in all aspects of his skating between 1988 and 1989. At the World Championships in Paris, he was like a different athlete.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
“Best” isn’t a word I’d associate with cowboy
themed program in skating, but that’s just me.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Absolutely without a doubt, Yulia Vorobieva’s 1996 Country Western LP:

https://youtu.be/AqUUw3qod5E :kickass:

I love this program so much, even if Chris Howrath thought it deserved a 3.6 for presentation. :lol:

Such nineties construction. Five or six triples, two double axel attempts, and a combo spin to finish.

Yulia did have an amazing scratch blur spin, though.

In terms of costuming, nothing beats her lamp shade / salad bowl / doily dress.

Erin

Banned Member
While going through my DVDs to upload, I found a couple of programs from something called Starskates Country in the 1999-2000 season (anyone in the US/Canada/Japan will need a VPN to any other country for the second one because of the music):

I'm sure it was a whole two hour show, but apparently that was all I decided to hang on to :shuffle:

Teenes

Kurt Browning's done a few cowboy/Western numbers, nodding to his Alberta background, some more serious than others, and many linked here already.

I think this one hasn't been?
Expectation and the Blues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqbbk1fN0I

I'm guessing "Boogie and Beethoven" is the one from the 1999 StarSkates Goes Country linked above which isn't playable b/c of music restrictions in the US. The other one is "God Gave Me You" (thanks Erin!).

Erin

Banned Member
I'm guessing "Boogie and Beethoven" is the one from the 1999 StarSkates Goes Country linked above which isn't playable b/c of music restrictions in the US. The other one is "God Gave Me You" (thanks Erin!).

Yes, that’s which one it is. The only countries it’s blocked in are the US (including its territories), Canada, and Japan, so VPNing to any other country should get it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information