Beautiful Letter from Elliot Page

Sylvia

TBD

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I saw the thread title this am and didn't connect the dots until I saw a different article online this afternoon.

Very glad to see that Elliot will be staying on in his role in the Umbrella Academy, looking forward to how they incorporate his new self.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Maybe this will sound stupid but I didn't understand why he wants to be called "they" instead of "he". If a female transitions to a male isn't the pronoun now "he" instead of "she"? I've known of other trans people & they all use the new gender's pronoun instead of they.

genevieve

Staff member
Elliot has also said that he is fine with either he or they. So feel free to use he. Just don't use she anymore.

ETA: this is in the link Sylvia posted, but at the bottom, and I think it's worth highlighting. It's GLAAD's media guide to help journalists cover the story, but I think it's helpful for general discussion.

• DO describe people who transition as transgender, and use transgender as an adjective. Elliot Page is a transgender person. DON'T use transgender as a noun: "Elliot Page is a transgender". DON'T use "transgendered." Transgender never needs an extraneous "-ed" at the end. DON’T use "transsexual" or "transvestite."
  • DO describe Elliot Page as a non-binary, transgender person. Both transgender and non-binary are umbrella terms that describe many different types of experiences. In Page's case, it can be used like this: "Elliot Page describes themself as transgender and non-binary, meaning that their gender identity is neither man nor woman."
  • DO refer to Elliot Page's gender identity being non-binary, not his sexual orientation. Gender identity is one's own internal, deeply held sense of one's own gender. Sexual orientation is who one is attracted to. They are not the same thing and should not be conflated or confused.
  • DO refer to them as Elliot Page. DON’T refer to them by their former name. He has changed it, and should be accorded the same respect received by anyone who has changed their name. Since Elliot Page was known to the public by their prior name, it may be necessary initially to say "Elliot Page, formerly known as Ellen Page, …" However, once the public has learned Page's new name, do not continually refer to it in future stories.
  • DO use he/they pronouns when referring to Elliot Page. This means you can use either he/him or they/them pronouns to refer to Elliot. Both pronouns are acceptable. If you need to explain this to your audience, you can include a sentence that says "Elliot Page uses both he/him and they/them pronouns; this story will use he/him when referring to Page."
  • DON'T use she/her pronouns to describe Elliot Page, even when referring to events in their past. Simply use their current name and pronouns. For example, "Elliot Page began their career as a child actor before their breakout performances in Hard Candy and Juno."
  • AVOID the phrase "born a woman" when referring to Page. If it is necessary to describe for your audience what it means to be transgender, consider: "Elliot Page was designated as female on his birth certificate, but is now living as his authentic self."
  • DON'T speculate about medical procedures transgender people may or may not choose to undertake as part of their transition. This is private medical information, and a transgender identity is not dependent on medical procedures. Overemphasizing the medical aspects of a person's transition objectifies transgender people, and prevents the public from seeing the transgender person as a whole person.
  • DON'T imply that someone who discloses that they are transgender was lying or being deceptive because they chose to keep that information private. Transgender people face extremely high rates of family rejection, employment and housing discrimination, and physical violence. Every transgender person has to prepare to face the possible consequences of transitioning to live as their authentic self. That caution does not mean that they were deceptive or lying. It simply means they felt it necessary to keep their authentic self private until they were safely able to disclose it to others.
  • DON'T indulge in superficial critiques of a transgender person's femininity or masculinity. There is no one way to "look" transgender or non-binary. Transgender people can have a range of gender expressions, just like cisgender people. How a person chooses to express their gender through their hair, clothing, make-up, jewelry, etc. is their own personal decision and doesn't change their gender identity.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I think the point is that he identifies as non-binary, neither a "he" nor a "she" in the traditional sense. To me, using "they" feels awkward grammatically but we don't have a decent alternative in common language. If "they" works, I'm willing to use it.
Of course I would use whatever Page prefers (if we were actually acquaintances). Just confused as to what that preference is.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I saw the "he/they" but I had the same question as @taf2002 . The explanation in the GLAAD guide is much clearer.

just tuned in

I am glad for this thread.

I am having a hard time with the fact that production credits and articles are changing the name Ellen to Elliot on projects that Elliot worked on before he changed his name.

I changed my name (after marriage), but my school records continue to use the name I went by when I attended.

genevieve

Staff member
I am glad for this thread.

I am having a hard time with the fact that production credits and articles are changing the name Ellen to Elliot on projects that Elliot worked on before he changed his name.

I changed my name (after marriage), but my school records continue to use the name I went by when I attended.
The name change associated with gender transition is not akin to changing one's name for marriage, as it is a reframing/reclaining of who the person is, and has always been. A name change associated with a marriage is about looking forward, not backward. Deadnaming is a very big issue in the trans community, and for some it can be very painful (I do know some trans folks who are not super fussed about it, but they seem to be in the minority).

Japanfan

I think the point is that he identifies as non-binary, neither a "he" nor a "she" in the traditional sense. To me, using "they" feels awkward grammatically but we don't have a decent alternative in common language. If "they" works, I'm willing to use it.

It certainly poses a challenge to editors in making it impossible distinguish between individuals and groups. I wish there was an alternative.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
One of my best friends is a pretty successful editor in New York, and she swears by the GLAAD guidelines. Adjusting language to be trans-inclusive isn't necessarily intuitive, and I do understand that "they" functioning as a singular pronoun is hard for grammar sticklers to accept, but there are so many common things that violate hegemonic English grammar/spelling/etc. rules (comma splices and dangling modifiers are two of many things that immediately come to mind).

Laverne Cox was attacked this week. Elliot Page is currently being showered with hate on social media. Anyone who thinks it's more important to honor singular versus plural pronouns than to support and honor people for bring brave enough to live as their authentic selves when doing so subjects them to violence, discrimination, and opprobrium gets no sympathy from me.

genevieve

Staff member
It certainly poses a challenge to editors in making it impossible distinguish between individuals and groups. I wish there was an alternative.
There is. There have been gender-neutral pronoun options for years! I think the set that came closest to being widely adopted was ze/hir.

Singular they/them is way easier than taking on new words entirely

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Because gender identity is so vast and varied, one can identify as nonbinary and transmasculine which I suspect is where Elliot Page is at but without him saying the words I wouldn't want to assume. That's just based off of what I've encountered online with other transmasc people.

There is. There have been gender-neutral pronoun options for years! I think the set that came closest to being widely adopted was ze/hir.

Singular they/them is way easier than taking on new words entirely
Singular they/them is also easier for people who use screen readers. A lot of the gender neutral pronouns don't work in screen readers but they/them does.

Jenny

From the Bloc
And in English at least, we easily accept that "you" can be both singular or plural; it's a basic part of the language both spoken and written, and rarely needs to be qualified.

On the tv show Billions, there is a character who prefers "they" and despite that everyone hates each other on the show, they all use the correct pronouns at all times. When they were first introduced and we'd want to talk about the show at home, we figured this is a learning experience for us so we made the effort to get it right even if no one else but us was listening, because this is important. Didn't take long before we weren't even thinking about it anymore.

MsZem

I see the sea
Elliot Page is currently being showered with hate on social media. Anyone who thinks it's more important to honor singular versus plural pronouns than to support and honor people for bring brave enough to live as their authentic selves when doing so subjects them to violence, discrimination, and opprobrium gets no sympathy from me.
I mostly see Elliot being showered with love and respect from colleagues and supporters, but there are always going to be assholes and bigots following news like this, unfortunately.

Respecting someone's pronouns is such a small ask, and I see no reason to refer to people by anything other than what they are.

Sylvia

TBD
On a skating related note... Eliot Halverson whose Instagram profile states she identifies as "Non Binary (she/her/hers)" shared this today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIV6QXsnKRG/
In the sport of figure skating, girls wear white skates and boys wear black skates and never does anyone deviate from that binary rule 🤮 So when @iskateriedell approached me about making my dream pair of boots, I knew just what to do. I am proud to be a trans non-binary figure skater. And I am proud to be a Colombian figure skater. Thank you @iskateriedell for helping me shatter this unnecessary barrier, for creating space for me to celebrate my intersectional identity on the ice, and for making my feet happy for the past 20+ years 🏳️‍🌈🇨🇴

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt:
He also talks about the “horrible backlash” trans people are facing at the moment in the U.S., with many states passing anti-trans legislation.
“It felt important and selfish for myself and my own well-being, and my mental health, and also with this platform I have, the privilege that I have, and knowing the pain and the difficulties and the struggles I faced in my life, let alone what so many other people are facing,” Page says. “It absolutely felt just crucial and important for me to share that.”
Page also told Vanity Fair about his decision to talk to Oprah: “It was something I needed to sit with for a moment because the backlash right now is so intense. But the rhetoric coming from anti-trans activists and anti-LGBTQ activists—it’s devastating. These bills are going to be responsible for the death of children. It is that simple. So [talking to Oprah] felt like an opportunity to use a wide-reaching platform to speak from my heart about some of my experience and the resources I’ve been able to access—whether therapy or surgery—that have allowed me to be alive, to live my life.”

Sylvia

TBD
Photo shared by Elliot ("Trans bb’s first swim trunks') today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPRDYAUhvEt/

ETA:

Vanity Fair article by Thomas Page McBee who is a trans journalist (April 28, 2021):
Page and I met while working together on Tales of the City in 2018, and quickly found we had a creative connection. We’ve kept up with each other ever since. In the lead-up to the Oprah Conversation interview, I called him to chat about how transitioning has helped him access a newfound creativity, the exhilaration of finally being present and embodied, and why he’s chosen to make a private process so public in the midst of a culture war on trans rights.
Page:
My feelings aren’t really linear. I feel emerging joy and excitement one moment, and then in the next, profound sadness reading about people wanting to take gender-affirming health care away from children. I feel so grateful to be at this place in my life, and I want to use the strength I have to help in all the ways that I can. The reason you and I have the privileges we have is because people have sacrificed so much for so, so, so long and put everything on the line.
I think it’s about: How can I feel grateful for my joy, and embrace my joy, and allow myself to have that joy—but then put that joy and that love into action? How do I figure out a way to integrate those two feelings, in terms of being a public person?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information