Beat the Heat - Port Carling Ontario

KatieC

I attended the Beat the Heat fundraising presentation for the Port Carling Figure Skating Club today. Brian Orser's students put on a wonderful show. I'll try to write something about all the skaters, but not necessarily in skating order. The rink is very chilly indeed and the wait outside in the pouring rain detracted a little bit from the beginning but the show was really nice. This was my third visit. It helps that I really enjoy going back to Port Carling after staying there for 5 weeks while working years ago.

Mira Stickland (Canada): nice spiral, youngest participant, perky, finished on the music! (Finishing with the music is something I'm picky about!)

Netty Shi (U.S.A): great music, self assured, confident jumper.

Kaitlin Stitz (Germany): double jump, fall on double axle, good presence on ice.

Taylor Woetzel (USA): dramatic, beilman variation on spin, no jumps, no doubt a good reason

Henry Privett-Mendoza (USA): strong presence on ice, loop first jump two footed, a note I can't decipher, then good footwork, possibly short program?

Emilia Nemirovsky (USA): hot pink sparks, very assured on the ice.

Dana Sabatini-Speciale (Canada): music Smile, double double combo, long beautiful combination spin, layback in to beilman.

Hikari Ooyamada (Japan): love the music, oh, it's La La Land. splat on first jump, 2nd jump good, single axle, ends on music. That's all I wrote but I liked her.

Natasha Hewit (Canada): nice, lovely spins, overhead haircutter.

Jamie Gabbard (Canada): beautiful sit spins

Natalia Acosta (Mexico): music Circle of Life, not usual version, this one quite different, I liked it. Beilman spin, spiral and (something else I can't decipher), good jumper, great skate, expressive, phenomenal back bend!

Grayson Long (Canada): showy, great jumper, Cuban beat music, lime green suspenders, wardrobe malfunction which was ignored by the skater and teased about by Brian afterwards as the first malfunction of the day.

Joseph Phan (Canada): triple/triple, then fall on triple axle, catch foot spin was great, saved wonky last spin. possibly short program?

Giuliana Corsini and Zachary Daleman (Canada): new pair team, only together 6 weeks. single twist, double throw jump, nicely landed, sbs spins, quite nice, sbs axle (single or double? couldn't tell) carry life was gorgeous. and a death spiral quite nice. Certainly very good program for a team only together for 6 weeks. Good with unison.

Gabrielle Daleman (Canada): music, Share my life - Whitney Huston (is that the title or just the first line?), fell on first and last jump, landed middle one, I love watching Gabby but she was perhaps just a little off today.

Javier Fernandez (Spain): I only wrote two words, Amazing, and gorgeous. He totally commanded the ice, I think it might have been a show performance, not competition,but oh, it was very Spanish, and so very, very good. I've always loved a delayed single jump and I think he did two.

This was the second time I just missed upgrading my seat to on ice :( Otherwise it was a great show and even my friend, who is not a particular fan, said she enjoyed herself and wouldn't mind going again next year.

aliceanne

How old is Joseph Phan? I remember he was popular at 2016 Nationals, but I haven’t heard much about him since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information