Anyone remember the old skating fanfics?

ros01

I guess they weren't fanfics in the sense of being about real people or based on books/movies, but I think they were always called fanfics. I remember them from the early 2000s, mostly. There was a very good unfinished one called "Phantoms" about a skater abused by her mother, making a comeback with her coach, a very famous skater whose career had been ended by a car crash. Phantom of the Opera reference but no real resemblance. I also remember one about an intergalactic skating competition featuring someone who was half human half slightly catlike species!

Anyone else remember these? Some I'd like to revisit if anyone has links, some I'd like to just reminisce about!

Limonite

I've always like fanfics and I've searched the web for fanfics about figure skating, but I haven't found anything, so if someone has links, please share it :).

ros01

The old vintage ones I'm thinking of are pretty much only to be found on the Internet Wayback Machine at this point, and most of them are unfinished (I think). You can find an awful lot of recent skating fanfic on ao3.org, though. There's a whole section.

Lchan

Yup, me, I remember both of the ones mentioned so far. Would love to revisit!

Back in the day, I also read a lot of The Strong and the Sequined! The author is a regular on FSU, I believe.

ros01

Most of them were truly dreadful. ;):lol:

So true!!! But enjoyably dreadful (at least some!). Phantoms was better written than most, IIRC, though the characters were pretty formulaic. I think it was supposedly written by a competitive skater.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
So true!!! But enjoyably dreadful (at least some!). Phantoms was better written than most, IIRC, though the characters were pretty formulaic. I think it was supposedly written by a competitive skater.

Wait... really? Which skater was rumored to have written it?

And, no, the author wasn't a competitive skater.

ros01

I don't remember that a specific skater was rumored to have written it (at least not that I ever heard), just an "elite" skater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information