Anyone make their own skating attire?

treesprite

The last time I had a need for skating dresses and skirts, I was still a teenager but made them myself, and actually sold some to help me pay for lessons. I am currently not at a point of feeling a need to wear a skating dress, but I look at the ones for sale to see what would be available in the future, and have discovered that nothing suits me. The problem is that sewing over time has gone from being an inexpensive necessity to being a very expensive hobby. I don't know what would be worse: wearing something I'm not really happy with, or spending a small fortune on materials. This is especially an issue since there are no good skating dress patterns, meaning I would be actually designing from scratch and would need extra fabric to experiment.

Are there any folks here who make their own things, who might have some ideas on less expensive aquisition of fabrics besides the popular fabric stores? Or could save me the expense of experimentation by telling me about skating attire pattern makers besides Jalle (I definitely do not like their selection of patterns)? I prefer a fully covered bottom, and a seam line that doesn't accentuate the biggest part of my abdomen.

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Kwik Sew also has some skating dress patterns. Another adult skater I know swears by them as basic patterns, and she then uses them as a base for more complex skating dresses (longer skirts, two-toned bodices etc). I have two of their patterns sitting in a drawer but have never made them myself.

I did make a Jalie pattern once but found it ridiculously short waisted - I ended up having to turn it into a skirt. Which is when I went looking for alternatives and found the Kwik Sew ones. I never used them as my skating then took a different direction (i.e. I stopped aiming to either test or compete, and then gave up for 2 years).

Kwik Sew 3502
Here's another one
I also have Kwik Sew pattern 3051, but looks like it may not be available anymore.

@misskarne also makes her own skating dresses, so may have better advice.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
*looks up from her sewing machine*

I like the Kwiksew patterns, though I am currently working with a Jalie one also. I find the panties on the Kwiksew dresses give good coverage. They have the v seam line at the front across the stomach, but it seems to be okay, I've never found that it makes me look any worse. I've never tried any of the Specialty Sportswear patterns, but that might be an option too.

With regards to fabric, that can be harder - I like to feel it, obviously. I ordered from this place but they are an Australian store and thus Australian prices, so that's up to you. It can also be harder when you're looking for an unusual colour or type - I needed cream or ivory ponte/double knit and that was quite difficult to find; I ended up buying it from a chain store here. The costume I am working on now, taking into account the pattern, fabric, thread, fasteners and a few embellishments, is probably going to all up cost around $80-$90. For me, that is a good saving on having someone make it for me, or buying an off-the-rack outfit, but YMMV.

EDIT: Haha @Bunny Hop posting at the same time! :D

The K3502 is actually my standard Kwiksew base pattern. It can be altered in so many little ways - short sleeve, long sleeve, three-quarter sleeve, I even made a version with the turtleneck collar and no sleeves, which came out quite well. I think I've made - hmm - about five dresses from this pattern, all slightly different. The scoop-neck long sleeve version I did in all black, with a double row of red stones at the neck, cuffs, waist and skirt hem. With the stones bought from a craft store I think all up that dress cost maybe $50-$60 to make.

treesprite

Thanks @Bunny Hop for the link! I ordered some patterns from there.

I was mad last week, because I had a coupon for fabric for 50% off and did not use it, after deciding it is too premature for me to be buying fabric for skating dresses. There was a really nice paisley print Lycra fabric that would have been great combined with a navy blue. I probably stood there playing with the fabric for at least 15 minutes, arranging it and all that, thinking about how much of it I would need. But then, I wanted to make long pants and a jacket to go with it as well, and the cost was racking up in my head. Even with a half off coupon, it was too much to spend on something that I wouldn't need to use right away. I am sure that fabric won't be around when I actually need it, and that I won't have a coupon for half off.

S

SmallFairy

I make my own dresses and practice gear (practice dresses, tights). I won't be helpful when it comes to provide links to fabric stores, being in Norway, but we have inexpensive fabric stores here that have lots of nice, useable dress fabrics. Lots of them are run by middle eastern people, many of those fabrics are so lovely, and not too expensive. Maybe you have something similar? I buy the flesh coloured mesh off ebay. That's where I get my bling too.

When it comes to patterns there are different Youtube-tutorials on how to make your own patterns, and also on how to sew, bling and so on. I found it a good thing to make my own pattern, as I' a bit odd shaped;)
I used this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Pfa6FElrw
And more by the same user.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Skittl1321

I'm not a great sewer but I made a number of my dresses, and the dresses for my synchronized team. I used Jalie and Kwik Sew patterns. They were okay but not great.

I also bought inexpensive costumes and did my own stoning to save some money.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I have used the Specialty Sportswear patterns and had good luck with them. Caveat: I used to make theater costumes and worked for a custom bridal company for a few years, so I'm very comfortable adapting patterns to suit my measurements and preferences.

I highly recommend Spandex World (www.spandexworld.com) for inexpensive yet good-quality stretch fabrics, which are usually absurdly expensive at local fabric stores.

Clarice

I have Kwik Sew's book Swim and Action Wear, and use that leotard as my base pattern. For extra seat coverage, I alter the pattern line according to the directions in Marie Routhier's books. I usually just do circle skirts, since I'm an ice dancer, but I've borrowed skirts from other patterns as well. If you make a full leotard, you can hang the skirt wherever it's most flattering, and that can help you develop a personal pattern. Once you know where the seam line needs to be, you can design things where the bodice is a different color from the trunks.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I make all my own competition dresses, and most of my skating gear (as well my some of my street clothes). I think the Jalie patterns are really great, have a wide array of sizing options, and play nice when mixing different patterns. I prefer the straight waist option on their dresses, as they are easier to fit to a wider array of bodies.

The problem with the Basque waist (that's the v-shape waist) on the Kwik Sews/etc is that you have to have a some skill in fitting and pattern alteration to make sure that lands at a spot that's going to look great for that individual's proportions.

For me, I use the Nettie Bodysuit pattern from Closet Case Files as my basic block because the panty on it is has better coverage than most skating dress versions. As a plus size person, there's nothing I hate more than a panty that can't cover my butt, LOL. Depending on the dress, I have a little library of necklines, etc that I built from the Nettie. I drafted my own skirt pattern from draping on a dressform, since I was looking for something else that would work my own measurements.

Here is my dress from this season. I think the total cost was around $150: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc8mvrp4z6r6w6o/nyi-dress-edit.jpg?dl=0

As for fabric, Spandex World is the best. I buy all my spandex, milliskin, and mesh from there. Everything's priced competitively, and their customer service is excellent. I usually pick up the nicer fabrics, like the silk georgette on the dress above from Mood. I get my stones from Rhinestone Supply or Dreamtime Creations; it depends on whether I have a coupon to redeem. I'm the worst at estimating how many stones I need, and wind up having to get a second shipment mid-project.

treesprite

That is a really nice dress. I like how you did the neck of it.

I see what you mean about that bodysuit pattern with the coverage. I had never heard of that company.

Last edited:

artika

Because I'm high waisted and I wanted good coverage on the bottom, I made my own leotard pattern using this instructions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIei7oGxZUo
It wasn't terribly difficult. Now i use that to adjust the size on any other commercial pattern with fancier cuts..
I used black ITY fabric from fabric.com but it's a little thin and not as stretchy as athletic fabrics, shows the tights cutting at waist. I still like how it feels, it's silky and has same weight. If I would do it again i would line it with power mesh.

MadMac

This has been a remarkably helpful (and perfectly well-timed!) thread to lurk in, and I just wanted to thank you all so much for providing oodles of wonderful tips and insights. A friend just recently decided to try her hand at making some skating costumes and this is chock-full of great info for her. :)

treesprite

I was not expecting to get so much information. I live in an area where it seems no one does any sewing. I don't know more than one person in my area now who makes their own clothing, though some must or else there wouldn't be a fabric store.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
For anybody who does enjoy sewing I highly recommend you look up a TV programme called 'Great British Sewing Bee'. There are some episodes on YouTube. It's like a talent show for people who sew (only much more interesting, in my opinion).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I was not expecting to get so much information. I live in an area where it seems no one does any sewing. I don't know more than one person in my area now who makes their own clothing, though some must or else there wouldn't be a fabric store.

I don't make any of my own clothing (well, at least not yet) but the fabric stores in my area get a *lot* of business from quilters and home decorators, as well as from people who sew clothes.

Sporkzilla

Hello all! I'm @MadMac's friend. This thread is absolutely amazing for first-time seamstresses. I just bought some of the Jaile patterns, and I'm excited to have all these new resources to check!

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on 2-way versus 4-way stretch material. Most of the patterns call for 4-way stretch, but some of the fabric descriptions on Spandexworld suggest 2-way stretch for skating dresses. I'm not really sure what I'm sacrificing if I use a 2-way rather than a 4-way--could I get away with 2 way and size up?

Clarice

I'd be pretty cautious with a 2-way stretch because obviously it doesn't stretch in one direction, so you're going to sacrifice comfort as you move. Even with 4-way stretch fabric, there are different opinions about whether the greater degree of stretch should go up and down or around the body. Personally, I always use 4-way and put the greater stretch going around.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
could I get away with 2 way and size up?
Depends on how many times you plan to wear it and whether you might need to launder. 2-way shows signs of stress sooner than 4-way. I've had no problems with Woolite and 4-way, but I find 2-way nearly impossible to shape back to size after it's washed.

skatemomaz

Resist
Hello all! I'm @MadMac's friend. This thread is absolutely amazing for first-time seamstresses. I just bought some of the Jaile patterns, and I'm excited to have all these new resources to check!

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on 2-way versus 4-way stretch material. Most of the patterns call for 4-way stretch, but some of the fabric descriptions on Spandexworld suggest 2-way stretch for skating dresses. I'm not really sure what I'm sacrificing if I use a 2-way rather than a 4-way--could I get away with 2 way and size up?

The only effective way I found to work with 2 way was to use a zipper and the stretch had to be lengthwise. Still, 4 way is a much better way to go with skating attire.

Sporkzilla

The only effective way I found to work with 2 way was to use a zipper and the stretch had to be lengthwise. Still, 4 way is a much better way to go with skating attire.

Thank you! I'll definitely try this if I fall in love with something that's only 2-way. It's very good to know.

Sporkzilla

I'd be pretty cautious with a 2-way stretch because obviously it doesn't stretch in one direction, so you're going to sacrifice comfort as you move. Even with 4-way stretch fabric, there are different opinions about whether the greater degree of stretch should go up and down or around the body. Personally, I always use 4-way and put the greater stretch going around.

Thanks! I was thinking the greater stretch around the body, since it seems like there'd be more movement there.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Thanks! I was thinking the greater stretch around the body, since it seems like there'd be more movement there.
Before you decide, check the fabric for rebound. If your fabric doesn’t bounce back that well, going the other way avoids saggy bottom.

Skittl1321

Stretch fabric is so tricky :(
I agree that 4-way stretch is the way to go, and like you put the stretch around the body.

I have, however, found places that describe stretch as 1-way and 2-way; so in those cases 2-way stretch fabric is what I think of as 4-way. If you aren't expecting that and get 2-way (what the pattern would mean as 1-way...), it can be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information