Anastasia Panina's interview with Evgenia Medvedeva

Ka3sha

Recent interview with Evgenia Medvedeva

Zhenya, I know that you are following the Tokyo Olympics. What was the most amazing thing that you saw?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Yes, I try to follow it closely. I follow the results of most competitions, I am interested in all sports in general, well, as much as is possible given my schedule. The most amazing thing? Of course, the team competition of our gymnasts. I cheered for them so much, with all my heart, and I’m happy that the guys won.
Probably I have especially warm feelings about this Olympics, as I was supposed to go to Tokyo as the Russian Olympic team ambassador. It is a pity that it did not work out. When we started this partnership with ROC in 2019 and came up with a lot of cool ideas, we could not imagine that the world would change like that.

How did you react to the news that you won't be able to support our team in Tokyo?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
The decision not to fly to Japan for me, as an ambassador, was made due to the extremely difficult epidemiological situation in Tokyo and large number of restrictions of the anti-covid protocols. Taking care about the health and reducing the contacts of the athletes is more important now. People in Japan are great at organizing events, I know it firsthand. Safety is paramount for them, and I support this approach.

You spoke touchingly about Artur Dalaloyan, who competed after a terrible injury. Probably, only an athlete who herself performed on “one leg” can understand, what Artur’s courage is worth.
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Artur has done a heroic deed. It is unrealistic to recover in such a short time after the rupture of Achilles. I saw a photo of his leg in April, our friend showed it to me, and this was a very scary sight.
I share Artur’s emotions and am very happy about his gold medal in the team event. I hope that he will not stop and will prepare for the World Championships in October.
I was also worried about Nikita Nagorny, as we are friends with him. Nikita is, of course, a phenomenal gymnast.

You have your own Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic experience. All the athletes with whom I talked recall those Games in very different ways. Someone remembered them for the cold and wind with sand, others – for the incredible atmosphere of the Olympic village. And what about you?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
You know, athletes sometimes say that the Olympics are a historical event for them. This is not an empty phrase: this is how I perceived it as well. I recall that time with a delight. I liked everything that surrounded me, I liked being in the Olympic village, I really liked performing there, and I felt completely comfortable, despite the wild frosts. My friends then said that it was terribly cold in Korea, but I don’t remember that, can you imagine? I felt warm (laughs). Absolutely comfortable. I remember those Olympics with gratitude and warmth.

At the Tokyo Games, the topic of mental health was loudly discussed as Simone Biles withdrew from the team all-around after an unsuccessful jump. Can you imagine yourself in such situation? The most important competition, the interests of a team that counts on you very much, and you refuse to compete when they have already begun.
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Simone Biles is a great athlete, I would like to wish her to cope with all her problems. I would not want to comment on her situation, because I don't know her personally. I try to follow our athletes more. But surely she had her reasons to do what she did. I think that in the United States, they treated the situation well. I saw on the Internet that the American media supported her decision.

What would it be like with a Russian athlete or with me in a similar situation? Difficult question. To answer it, you need to figure out what happened there. The press writes about different versions. Speaking from my perspective, I can say that we have such a mentality that we compete with any problems and fight for victory no matter what. Dalaloyan is a striking example. Or Nikita Nagorny, who passed a kidney stone before the individual competition. And Madina Taymazova? She fought and won a medal with such a terrible bruise over the eye. The Tokyo Olympics gave us new national heroes! And in general, this heroism did not begin yesterday. Nosov with a broken arm and his bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics, and many more examples.

As an athlete, have you developed a more attentive and careful attitude to your health with age and experience?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
With age, you actually start to realize more what health actually is and how important it is for you. So, here comes the desire to stay healthy.

Due to the pandemic, many of your plans and projects were canceled last summer – for example, skating shows in Japan. Was it difficult to accept the new reality? Roughly speaking, to sit at home and wait, being unable to change anything. Athletes are people of action, accustomed to rely on their own strengths.
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Yes, it was difficult. But everyone were on an equal footing – the pandemic demanded extreme decisions and self-discipline from people. And the show "Prism on Ice", where I play the main role of the anime character Sailor Moon, has not been canceled, for example. It was just postponed to the summer of 2022. This is definitely a smart decision given the pandemic. It would be wrong to do such a large-scale international show, timed to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the cult cartoon, with restrictions.
I am proud to have the opportunity to play this role. Sailor Moon is very popular in Japan, so to some extent, being on this show is a dream come true. I just have to wait a little more.

Imagine that tomorrow all borders on the planet will be opened and you have a vacation. Where would you go?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Will it be too banal if I answer Japan? (Laughs) I haven’t been there for over a year and, I confess, I miss it very much. As soon as there are no restrictions and the world is back to normal, I would like to go there.
My love for Japan turned into a collaboration with JNTO (Japan national tourism organization – editor's note), with whom we held the J-Fest in Moscow at the end of last year. I talked about my love for Japanese culture and answered questions from the festival participants. I hope there will be more such events in Russia, and not only in the online format.
By the way, with my mother and grandmother we are now making a Japanese garden at our home. Since it is difficult to go to Japan, we decided to create a pice Japan in our yard (smiles). In Japan, almost every temple has gardens and this inspired me to create my own.

Let’s imagine that you go to Japan with a close friend who hasn't been there before. Where will you take him, what will you show, what will you suggest to try from the local cuisine?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Okay, if my close friend has never been to Japan before, then… first I would just take him outside. I would show the simplest things – buildings, roads, crossroads, parks, subway – everything is completely different, new, unlike anywhere else in the world. There, at every step, you have to pick your jaw off the floor (laughs).
Naturally, we would eat sushi or sashimi for dinner. Of the more original dishes, I would advise him uni – sea urchins, in Japan they are the most delicious. In Nagano, a certain kind of apples are grown – red, very tasty – you can find them only there.
If we went to Kobe, this is a city on the coast, we would definitely try meat there. It is prepared like a barbecue on an open fire in the presence of a chef in special restaurants called yakiniku.
We would also go to Kyoto. There's an incredible old town! Both beautiful, and has tasty food. Awesome place. Well, and a place that is difficult to find words to describe - Mount Fuji. The great old volcano, the landscape of unreal beauty, and the mountain itself – it is not a symbol of Japan for nothing .
In general, a week would not be enough for my friend and me (laughs).

Are there any things that unite Japan and Russia?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Perhaps my answer will surprise you, but there is a huge layer of music that unites our countries. A lot of Russian hits, starting from the 70s to the 90s, were covered by Japanese bands. It’s very interesting to listen to, so unusual. I’ve heard songs of the DDT and Kino bands recently, songs of Alla Pugacheva and others. We and the Japanese are definitely united by our love for our music.

It seems that fashion has become a big part your life. Did the interest came by itself or did something influence you?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Yes, there is definitely more fashion in my life now. Probably because I’ve slightly expanded my views on life outside of sports. Trainings and competitions took almost all of my time. Now it has become a little easier, I began to notice things that I had not paid attention to before, even if it concerns fashionable clothes and good shoes. Well, and as a true girl, I immediately wanted to try on all the most beautiful things (laughs). In general, it interests me very much now.

What is your favorite look?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Dress and heels – here many girls will support me. That is, of course, I have to wear a lot of sportswear, and in summer these are shorts, T-shirts, leggings, sweatshirts, caps, sneakers and so on, but at any suitable moment I try to change into a dress and heels.

How to look stylish? An advice from Evgenia Medvedeva.
Evgenia Medvedeva:
It seems to me that style is a very relative term. Each person understands it based on his inner beliefs, values and style of life. Just be yourself to look stylish. Experiment if you like it, dye your hair whatever color you want. Do not be afraid of anything! Be yourself!

You have lived in Canada for more than two years. What do you remember the most about this time? What did Zhenya-the athlete and Zhenya-the person learn there?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Two years is a rather long period, but basically all my time in Canada was occupied by intense training and learning English. Despite the fact that I arrived there already with some knowledge of the language, I had to work on it a lot. It was necessary to merge into the spoken language – oh, it was difficult even psychologically.
I also saw a different society there, freer, more peaceful. I have become more tolerant to any manifestation of cultural and social diversity. But in general, you know, the Olympics already gave me a lot, so I came to Canada already taught (smiles). Overall, I can say that Canada is a great place. But nevertheless Russian people are closer to me. This is my mentality, and I realized that I feel more comfortable in Russia.

Do you miss Toronto? Do you keep in touch with Brian Orser, Tracy Wilson or with any of the skaters in that group?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
I don’t miss Toronto, because I love Moscow very much. Rather, I miss people – my coaches, choreographers and athletes from our group. I miss our friends, whom we found there and with whom we still keep in touch. Of course, Brian and Tracy text me all the time, we communicate a lot.

This summer you take part in the Anna Karenina ice show in Sochi. Did your serious experience of working together with Alexander Enbert help you to look at pair skating differently? Single skaters usually do not really understand it, because they are used to answering only for themselves.
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Yes, Anna Karenina is a serious and new experience for me. Moreover, I perform both solo and pair numbers with Alexander Enbert. Sasha is a very good partner and a wonderful person. Thanks to him, I quickly mastered the basics of pair skating. Some things work out, some are more difficult. I admit that over time we will learn some more complex elements than those that we have already learned and showed.
Of course, it took a long time for me as a single skater to get used to it. At first, Sasha and I were like two horses who go in different directions – each with its own style. Sasha explains that everything must be done synchronously. This is gained with experience and time – singles are really accustomed to being responsible for themselves, work individually.
I can say that I am glad that this cool positive experience has appeared in my career.

What was the scariest pair element for you?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Throw. Any throw – flip, loop, salchow … It doesn’t matter which one. But I hope we will be able to overcome this barrier and at least learn some double throw (by the time this interview was published, Zhenya has posted a video with a double throw – editor's note).

Evgenia posted few videos with lifts and throw on her Instagram:

How are your relationships with Eteri Tutberidze developing after returning to “Khrustalny” rink?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Everything is good. We have a good relationship with Eteri Georgievna. Complete understanding. She understands me, how hard the last season was, and knows the whole situation in which I found myself. I am very grateful to her.

You are probably already tired of this question, but I have to ask. Can your fans hope to see you at competitions again?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Obviously, I’m skipping this season. Last season was hard for me due to many health problems, so we decided to skip this one. We will make any plans for a sports career at the end of 2021.

Now you look like a person, who has understood what harmony is and is quite happy. Could you share your understanding of happiness?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Much has changed in my life, in many ways I have grown. My understanding of happiness? I like to be alone. The more time a day I can afford to be alone with myself, the more harmonious and happy I become.

Blitz:
We will select people from figure skating for different roles. With whom would Evgenia Medvedeva want to go military intelligence?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Among the skaters? Well, I wouldn’t consider any of my colleagues. I would definitely go with my doctor.

Open a charitable foundation?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
With Jason Brown.

Agree to come to the party wearing the same crazy hats?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
With Nastya Skoptsova and Stasya Konstantinova.

Save the world from evil?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
We would do that with Kaitlyn Weaver

Open a coffee shop?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
We will open a coffee shop with Alena Kostornaia.

Jump with a parachute?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
With Sasha Trusova – she is fearless.

Throw a pajama party?
Evgenia Medvedeva:
I would invite all the skaters I know to a pajama party. We all, you know, love to have a good rest and party (smiles).

Last edited:

VGThuy

Someone should tell Med that American gymnasts were conditioned to compete with broken bones and fractures and all kinds of injuries. Simone herself won Nationals with broken toes on both feet and Worlds with a kidney stone. So what happened to her wasn’t due to a lack of conditioning to have “a mentality that we compete with any problems and fight for victory no matter what” with the examples she gave.

Panja

I don't think Med intended to be negative about Simone. It seems to me that, considering the part about the 'we compete with any problems and fight for victory no matter what' doesn't refer to Simones situation. She'd finished answering about Simone...and considering how the question about Simone was phrased (personally I thought that was disgusting), 'Can you imagine yourself in such situation? The most important competition, the interests of a team that counts on you very much, and you refuse to compete when they have already begun.' I think Med handled it quite well. She tried to turn her interrogator around, managed that and then, not surprisingly, thought about herself in a team. Which had nothing to do with Simone anymore.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Thank you for translating, @Ka3sha

I thought she handled that loaded Simone Biles question quite well, all things considered. I think it's a little unreasonable to expect her to cite the circumstances of Simone's nationals performances. Yes, I rolled my eyes a little bit at the "Russians fight for victory no matter what mentality", but unfortunately nationalistic flag-waving like that goes hand in hand with the Olympics. And considering she reiterated her love for Moscow several times (which I'm sure is true!), she is well aware the audience for this article. Thank goodness she didn't drop a "homosexual" somewhere in the interview or else we'd have another twitter scandal on our hands.

I'm relieved she's not competing or keeping any pretense of competing this season. One of my hopes for the sport is to see some sort of competitive pro scene develop after the Olympics, and I'm a little surprised we haven't seen much in the way of pro competitions in Russia or Japan. Shows are great, but how fun would it be to see Med take on Ashley Wagner and Alena Leonova and Satoko in some cheesy pro event?

Last edited:

Japanfan

I don't think Med intended to be negative about Simone. It seems to me that, considering the part about the 'we compete with any problems and fight for victory no matter what' doesn't refer to Simones situation.

I interpret it differently. To me, it meant that 'we', meaning Russian athletes, would have competed in Biles' situation.
I thought she handled that loaded Simone Biles question quite well, all things considered. I think it's a little unreasonable to expect her to cite the circumstances of Simone's nationals performances. Yes, I rolled my eyes a little bit at the "Russians fight for victory no matter what mentality", but unfortunately nationalistic flag-waving like that goes hand in hand with the Olympics.

Again, I interpret it differently. I think it would have been tactful for Med to be a little more sensitive. That is not a criticism really, as I can be rather blunt and tactless myself. And I find the Russians to be more blunt than athletes from other country - more honest, actually - and generally I find it refreshing.

Also, given that Med is an athlete who jumps and sometimes falls, I would think she would be more sympathetic. She knows the danger of falls in FS, and I'd expect her to recognize the same in gymnastics.

starrynight

I’m completely confused by the fuss over the whole Biles thing. Athletes seize up with performance anxiety at the Olympics all the time.

We saw that with Nathan Chen in 2018. A top skater in 2022 will probably suffer a similar fate - it might even be one of the top Russian girls.

Sports are cruel - this stuff just happens.

Ka3sha

She also did not mention the media and Internet support for nothing. I think her point was also partly related to the people's and media reaction. If a Russian athlete did something similar putting his mental health first, it would have been seen as a failure and an athlete would have been criticized a lot. People are very harsh on those who fail or those who don't 'try enough' (Kolyada still probably has nightmares after PyeongChang, or Medvedeva herself with the way the press treated her after leaving Tutberidze).

She's also not competing now, which kind of puts the lie to the idea that 'we would compete in any situation.'
But she is not entering competitions and then withdrawing, for example. So I don't see how it's relevant.
Also, she did compete at the Olympics two months after the leg fracture or with a major back injury at 2019 Worlds

Last edited:

starrynight

She also did not mention the media support for nothing. I think her point was also partly related the people's and media reaction. If a Russian athlete did something similar putting his medal health first, it would have been seen as a failure and an athlete would have been criticized a lot.

Mmm reminds me a bit of an Australian rower Sally Robbins who dropped her oar in the last 400m of the women’s team rowing at the Athens Olympics and laid down in the boat.

The backlash over that was so big she had to change her name. And was also slapped by a team mate during an Olympic parade. Incidentally the collapse was attributed to ‘a lack of mental toughness’ back then, but because it was 2004 no one really cared.

Biles has been treated with an incredible amount of sympathy compared to other athletes in the past. And I don’t know if athletes from other countries would be as fortunate to have such an affectionate and supportive response. Of course a big factor here is that the public are very aware of what these gymnasts have experienced and how they were treated in their training environments.

Last edited:

Primorskaya

Mmm reminds me a bit of an Australian rower Sally Robbins who dropped her oar in the last 400m of the women’s team rowing at the Athens Olympics and laid down in the boat.

The backlash over that was so big she had to change her name. And was also slapped by a team mate during an Olympic parade. Incidentally the collapse was attributed to ‘a lack of mental toughness’ back then, but because it was 2004 no one really cared.

Biles has been treated with an incredible amount of sympathy compared to other athletes in the past. And I don’t know if athletes from other countries would be as fortunate to have such an affectionate and supportive response. Of course a big factor here is that the public are very aware of what these gymnasts have experienced and how they were treated in their training environments.
That's horrific! I can understand team-mates being upset (although not to the point of slapping) but utter randoms who're just pissed off because they can only find self-worth and excitement through their country winning all the medals and are in a rage when they don't, need to fix their lives. An Argentinian football player was actually shot in the street for missing a penalty and losing the game some years ago.
Anyway, I'm also of the opinion that Medvedeva deflected that loaded question well, and gave out the required amount of flag-waving into the bargain. Smart girl ;)

starrynight

I remember the thing with the rower vividly. She dropped her oars into the water and her other teammates had to haul the boat along down one rower and they dropped from medal contention to last.

It wasn’t so much about winning etc just more that she gave up rowing. Then the team mates immediately complained to the media about her and then it was a frenzy.

I mean from a sporting perspective it’s not good (like just keep rowing). But yes, the platform of the Olympics means that both success and failure are magnified to such enormous scales. There’s two sides of the coin. If people weren’t invested in it, these insanely expensive spectacles of the Olympics and public funding for sports wouldn’t exist.

Not that this is at all comparable to gymnastics - keeping pulling an oar isn’t the same as doing highly complex and dangerous routines.

Last edited:

millyskate

I think the issue with the Sally Robbins scandal was that she had a history of doing this in competition, and the selectors had insisted on selecting her despite objections from team members. It's quite different from Simone's situation.

VGThuy

Just read like 30-40 percent of the internet reaction to Biles and some of the more…distinct news rooms to see the “other side” of how Biles was treated by a certain distinctive type of people.

Anyway, Med made a false equivalency in the comparison. If the situation was pure physical but doable, then Biles, being conditioned to by USAG, would have competed just like so many gymnasts have in the past including Biles herself. Clearly with all the Biles bashing in the US and certain people using Kerri Strug’s “heroic” vault in 1996 as a way to tear Biles down, many Americans still hold on to such an expectation. In fact, many non-Americans criticize America’s “win at all costs” attitude.

starrynight

A lot of this is also due to the peril of fans already expecting medals before the events have even started. I don’t even follow gymnastics but I even got the impression many people thought multiple gold medals were pretty much guaranteed.

Biles was easily one of the most hyped and high profile athletes in the world going into these games. And so when it all fizzled out, inevitably that’s going to create an enormous amount of noise.

But that’s sports. I remember an interview with Raf where he said that the Olympics turn everyone upside down with the emotion and stress. Skaters crying, parents crying. A real pressure cooker.

I think when you follow sports closely it is easy to understand that Olympic performance anxiety can mentally crush even champions. (Probably even crush the champions even more than the unknown youngsters).

Last edited:

Skibean

I don’t see any issue with what Med said. Would it be this scrutinized if another Russian female said it? She’s right. They’re trained to fight no matter what circumstances- looks at Anna competing with Covid and landing quads. Nothing Med said was controversial or insulting towards Biles. Also, Biles really is getting different treatment than other athletes. Gracie was called a head case. Sasha Cohen too. Michelle Kwan was called a choker for bronze while on home ice. Biles is being called a hero. Maybe it’s the culture that’s changing now, but I see no harm in Med’s comment.

VGThuy

I don’t see any issue with what Med said. Would it be this scrutinized if another Russian female said it? She’s right. They’re trained to fight no matter what circumstances- looks at Anna competing with ********* and landing quads. Nothing Med said was controversial or insulting towards Biles. Also, Biles really is getting different treatment than other athletes. Gracie was called a head case. Sasha Cohen too. Michelle Kwan was called a choker for bronze while on home ice. Biles is being called a hero. Maybe it’s the culture that’s changing now, but I see no harm in Med’s comment.
That's the part I have issue with. It's a false equivalency and it's presenting something as fact when it's not completely true. A mental block that is preventing a gymnast from flipping and twisting safely to the point where she could break her neck and spine is different from when say...Biles had broken bones on her toes and competed anyway or when she won the Worlds AA while dealing with a kidney stone, or when McKayala Maroney did one of her career-best vaults at the Olympics with a broken toe, or when Shannon Miller competed in Barcelona with metal screws in her wrists a few months after surgery, etc. Like I said, if Biles' issue was purely physical, then it'd be an apt comparison, but she and many USAG gymnasts have already displayed that "trained to fight no matter what circumstance" multiple times in their career....so much so that many people think it's a problem and exploitative.

Also another false equivalency, as if Biles is getting 100% support. She did not and has not, and she has had way more publicity and press than Cohen or Gold ever had. She's now a target for MAGA America.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I don’t see any issue with what Med said. Would it be this scrutinized if another Russian female said it? She’s right. They’re trained to fight no matter what circumstances- looks at Anna competing with ********* and landing quads. Nothing Med said was controversial or insulting towards Biles. Also, Biles really is getting different treatment than other athletes. Gracie was called a head case. Sasha Cohen too. Michelle Kwan was called a choker for bronze while on home ice. Biles is being called a hero. Maybe it’s the culture that’s changing now, but I see no harm in Med’s comment.

I guess I don't understand this comment because what Simone did is very different than what any of the other athletes you mentioned did.

hanca

Values her privacy
I find myself wondering what Tinami would have said about this interview.
It depends when we would ask her. If it was before Medvedeva left Tutberidze, Tinami would be saying how Medvedeva gave the right answer because she had fighting spirit and skated even injured. If it was after Medvedeva left Tutberidze, Tinami would think that Medvedeva was absolutely unreasonable and that she should educate herself about mental health problems.

starrynight

She's now a target for MAGA America.
Ive now realised it’s clear the reason a lot of people are so touchy about this is because of it being dragged into the USA political spectrum. Which has nothing to do with sports at all.

But for those that follow sports only, it is a totally different discussion completely.

Med would not know or even care about US partisan politics and is looking at it from an athlete perspective only. From an athletic perspective something went terribly wrong with Biles’ preparations and I’m sure lots of coaches and athletes would be quite interested in what happened and what could be done to prevent this in the future.

VGThuy

Ive now realised it’s clear the reason a lot of people are so touchy about this is because of it being dragged into the USA political spectrum. Which has nothing to do with sports at all.

But for those that follow sports only, it is a totally different discussion completely.

Med would not know or even care about US partisan politics and is looking at it from an athlete perspective only.
No, the idea is that Simone received little negativity for what happened in Tokyo and anybody actually living in America and who has paid attention knows that’s not true whatsoever. One poster in the PBP thread even said “half the country” found her ridiculous, which I also don’t think was true either. Wherever a lot of the hate is coming from didn’t quite matter but it’s true it’s strong from that contingent and I only brought it up to give people an idea of the size.

starrynight

No, the idea is that Simone received little negativity for what happened in Tokyo and anybody actually living in America and who has paid attention knows that’s not true whatsoever. One poster in the PBP thread even said “half the country” found her ridiculous, which I also don’t think was true either.

Thanks for the insight - I am not American so all I’ve seen is media support which has been effusively positive.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Thanks for the insight - I am not American so all I’ve seen is media support which has been effusively positive.
You've missed the absolutely disgusting vitriol being dragged out by MAGA who are using her as an example of liberals making America weak. They are also attacking the US women's soccer team for having the audacity to be beaten in competition. Mostly because some of them are outspoken about women's rights.

Russian media did the same to Kolyada in Korea. To the point I wondered if he'd just quit skating. So, making athletes into political pawns isn't exclusive to one sport or one country.

I'll cut Med some slack as the interviewer was looking for her to give the Russian version of politically correct and extol the Russian team. She did say she was very proud of the men and women's team medals. But, it's difficult to deflect the type of question asked her given the audience she knew she was speaking to.

starrynight

My point is though is that foreigners don’t see the internal politics. The over the top support shown by the media is what the world sees - not the internal stuff.

I don’t even know if Russians would even care about internal US politics? It’s all in another language and is a world away from anything that concerns them.

So it’s not fair to hold Medvedeva to some standard which requires an understanding of the US political scene. She has no reason to be aware of any of it.

VGThuy

My point is though is that foreigners don’t see the internal politics. The over the top support shown by the media is what the world sees - not the internal stuff.

I don’t even know if Russians would even care about internal US politics? It’s all in another language and is a world away from anything that concerns them.

So it’s not fair to hold Medvedeva to some standard which requires an understanding of the US political scene. She has no reason to be aware of any of it.
That’s true, which is why my criticism was that someone should inform her rather than she should already know. It wasn’t the fact that she felt the media seemed more positive towards Simone than she expected considering the negative Russian press Med herself received. It was just this idea that Simone and any other gymnast borne out of Marta’s regime and it’s aftershocks wouldn’t have also felt the need to compete no matter what physical injury they were going through and then comparing it to Russian athletes who did considering what she was comparing were not equivalent things at all. What Simone went through prevented her from being able to twist safely. Her routines were full of flips and double flips full of twists and double/triple twists. Her downgrading would have hurt the American team and her dropping out of the AA, Vault, bars, and floor let other American gymnasts and a non-American gymnast who were more ready to compete compete.

That all said, I do think Med’s intention was to pay Simone a compliment and in a way was kind of a way to express her surprise that American media to her eyes seemed way more positive than the Russian press would have been. I do wonder if Russian media would have been more understanding if the Russian team itself backed a hypo gymnast who withdrew in the same manner Simone did and explained what “twisties” were. A lot of former Soviet gymnasts on Instagram expressed support for Simone and explained that they themselves knew exactly what Simone was going through and how she did the right thing by withdrawing. Soviet gymnasts who were THE examples of soldiering on.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
But, who would inform her of the history of American gymnastics???? She's in Russia answering questions from a Russian journalist. So, who would that someone be?

VGThuy

But, who would inform her of the history of American gymnastics???? She's in Russia answering questions from a Russian journalist. So, who would that someone be?
On second thought, it’s better if nobody from the fandom contacts her despite her being responsive on social media. I rather her live in peace than deal with overzealous fans who are on their high horse, like I’ve been in this thread. I just get a bit defensive over the American gymnasts considering the abuse and exploitation of their labor they’ve suffered.

starrynight

It’s the normal course of things for fans to defend their favourites.

There’s skaters I love that I have defended to the death even when they splatted everywhere.

antmanb

An Argentinian football player was actually shot in the street for missing a penalty and losing the game some years ago.
I think you're referring to Andres Escobar who was a Colombian footballer who accidentally scored an own goal in the 1994 World Cup who was shot.

:eek: You think the support Simone Biles was over the top?

starrynight

:eek: You think the support Simone Biles was over the top?

Yeah she had lots of support at least from what I saw? Although I know that I have been corrected by people saying that the large amount of support shown in the international media and on social networks may not have been replicated back internally within the USA.

Why the shocked emoji? I'm confused. I mean, of course, perhaps my point is clearer now that I have clarified that I am now aware that maybe things weren't as positive as they seemed from the outside.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information