American Idol - Season 19

PeterG

My rankings for tonight:

1. DeShawn Concalves – The Way We Were. Wow. Sublime.
2. Ava August – City of Stars. She should be singing Selena Gomez songs and instead she picks songs to make her Grandma happy
3. Alyssa Wray – This Is Me. Her best performance to date
4. Willie Spence – Stand Up. That was fine.
5. Casey Bishop – Over The Rainbow. A fairly emotionless rendition
6. Madison Watkins – Run To You. I predict Madison will have the biggest career of everyone, but maybe doing better in acting than singing (like Katharine McPhee)
7. Grace Kinstler – Happy. Kinda shrieky at points. :eek:
8. Beane – (I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life – seemed really cabaret…definitely wasn’t courting Middle America’s votes
9. Cassandra Coleman – The Writing’s On The Wall. She does NOT have the voice for a song this big – she should sing Suzanne Vega songs
10. Hunter Metts – Falling Slowly. It looked to me like at the end of his song, something strange happened, like a girl screamed, “nice bum” or something and he started laughing and completely lost his place. Weird moment.
11. Chayce Beckham – Everything I Do (I Do It For You)
12. Caleb Kennedy – On The Road Again. Bearable until the last few lines
13. Lionel Richie – Say You, Say Me. How did this one get past the judges? Not good! ☹

Susan1

My rankings for tonight:

1. DeShawn Concalves – The Way We Were. Wow. Sublime.
2. Ava August – City of Stars. She should be singing Selena Gomez songs and instead she picks songs to make her Grandma happy
3. Alyssa Wray – This Is Me. Her best performance to date
4. Willie Spence – Stand Up. That was fine.
5. Casey Bishop – Over The Rainbow. A fairly emotionless rendition
6. Madison Watkins – Run To You. I predict Madison will have the biggest career of everyone, but maybe doing better in acting than singing (like Katharine McPhee)
7. Grace Kinstler – Happy. Kinda shrieky at points. :eek:
8. Beane – (I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life – seemed really cabaret…definitely wasn’t courting Middle America’s votes
9. Cassandra Coleman – The Writing’s On The Wall. She does NOT have the voice for a song this big – she should sing Suzanne Vega songs
10. Hunter Metts – Falling Slowly. It looked to me like at the end of his song, something strange happened, like a girl screamed, “nice bum” or something and he started laughing and completely lost his place. Weird moment.
11. Chayce Beckham – Everything I Do (I Do It For You)
12. Caleb Kennedy – On The Road Again. Bearable until the last few lines
13. Lionel Richie – Say You, Say Me. How did this one get past the judges? Not good! ☹
I'm not watching, but this is on the yahoo news feed -

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
@PeterG, we really have different yardsticks. My ranking:

1. Casey
2. Willie
3. Ava
4. DeShawn
5. Cassandra
6. Alyssa
7. Hunter (but he should have been voted out for his unprofessionalism)
8. Caleb
9. Madison
10.Beane
11. Chayce

Ava was my fav so I hope she goes to The Voice next year. She needs a little more training esp with song choice & staging.

love skating

Clueless American
I was pretty shocked that Ava was out. I thought she was more popular, guess not. Each week I am impressed with someone new and disappointed in others - it really fluctuates for me. Last week I thought Casey was outstanding with Black Hole Sun. I thought she did well with Somewhere Over the Rainbow - but I kept thinking of Kat McPhee's beautiful rendition and it suffered a bit in comparison. I thought Willie was the sensational standout last night and was just okay before. I thought Grace was surprisingly bad last night. Alyssa was much better than before (she needs to not oversing and she'd be fine). I like Cassandra and Deshawn but am on the fence about their performances. Hunter's the one I never remember, but I think his crying probably got him a lot of sympathy votes (I don't think that was his aim - he was legitimately upset). Chayce is just okay - not bad, not amazing, I'd like to see him challenge himself a bit more. Caleb - who keeps voting for him? I figured Madison and Beane would be out given that they weren't voted in last week - thought she strained a bit, didn't really care for Beane's rendition but I do like people trying to be different. Tonight's comeback should be interesting though seems like Arthur will have a big leg up on the votes.

PeterG

I'm not watching, but this is on the yahoo news feed -

Results from the voters in the poll attached to this article:

30% Willie Spence
24% Casey Bishop
10% Hunter Metts
7% Chayce Beckham
5% Cassandra Coleman
4% Caleb Kennedy
4% Alyssa Ray
4% Deshawn Concalves
3% Grace Kinstler

taf2002

Results from the voters in the poll attached to this article:

30% Willie Spence
24% Casey Bishop
10% Hunter Metts
7% Chayce Beckham
5% Cassandra Coleman
4% Caleb Kennedy
4% Alyssa Ray
4% Deshawn Concalves
3% Grace Kinstler
Hunter being #3 & Chayce being #4 really surprises me.

love skating

Clueless American
So who did you all like in the comeback? I think my favorite was Aliana and like Katy I did NOT recognize her at all! I thought Arthur and Louis did well. I just heard "Anyone" in last week's Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist and it was done so well on the show that it was hard for Makayla to live up to my expectation. However, I always liked her voice and thought she did a great job. These were the tops for me - Olivia was fun with her dancing though.

Last edited:

PeterG

Interesting that at the start of the show, Ryan said, “you can start voting now”. Why wait to hear how anybody sings a song?

How I’d rank last night’s performances:

1. Aliana Jester – I’ll Never Love Again. Hands down, the performance of the night.
2. Olivia Ximines – Say Yes. Great performance, but she should have picked a song people have heard.
3. Louis Knight – Maybe That (original)
4. DeWaye Crocker Jr. – Voice Of God
5. Makayla Phillips – Anyone. Lots of crying at the end, but her eyes were dry and there were no tears. Acting audition gone wrong?
6. Cyniah Elise – Edge Of Midnight
7. Faith Becnel – Cry Baby
8. Franklin Boone – Meant To Live
9. Nick Merico – City Lights (original). Perhaps the next song he writes might include a melody.
10. Arthur Gunn – Iris. I still think he sounds like he gargles with Ajax every day.

taf2002

Interesting that at the start of the show, Ryan said, “you can start voting now”. Why wait to hear how anybody sings a song?
This bothers me every time. They can't find 30 minutes for a quick results show somewhere after Sunday night before the next Sunday night? They might as well announce that they don't care about finding the best singer. I would rank Aliana 1st & Louis 2nd. Most of the others weren't that memorable. I don't remember Olivia, sorry.

Rogue

Sexy Superhero
JMHO, but I think the teenage country singer who got sent home from The Voice during the Knockouts is way better than the teenage country singer still in the top 10 of AI.

taf2002

JMHO, but I think the teenage country singer who got sent home from The Voice during the Knockouts is way better than the teenage country singer still in the top 10 of AI.
I agree. I also think The Voice country singer was better than the guy that Blake kept.

BaileyCatts

I am watching on delay so only 1 hour in but Chayce deserves to go for destroying that song!!!! That was absolutely horrible!!!!!!! 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Last edited:

PeterG

Ohmigosh, the guy who came in second last year beat out the guy who came in seventh!!! Who would have guessed??!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am watching on delay so only 1 hour in but Chayce deserves to go for destroying that song!!!! That was absolutely horrible!!!!!!! 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

:(

That's too bad. I want to like Chayce and when I saw that he was singing such a beautiful song (Baby Mine from Dumbo), I was hoping he would be able to do something nice with it. (Haven't seen it yet as I'm on the west coast, but thanks for the heads up. I will brace myself.) :lol:

BaileyCatts

WTF????? How the hell does Chayce and Arthur get in over Alyssa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:

PeterG

My ranking of tonight's performances:
  1. DeShawn Concalves – When You Wish Upon A Star. Wow!
  2. Grace Kinstler – Into The Unknown. Very strong.
  3. Alyssa Wray – A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes. Beautiful.
  4. Willie Spence – Circle Of Life. That was fine.
  5. Casey Bishop – When She Loved Me. Shaky.
  6. Cassandra Coleman – Go The Distance. Arthur stole all Cassandra's alt-indie-folk votes.
  7. Hunter Metts – You’ll Be In My Heart. Smiling that pretty smile will take him to the finale. His vocals will not.
  8. Caleb Kennedy – Real Gone. If only that were true... :wuzrobbed
  9. Chayce Beckham – Baby Mine. That arrangement was AWFUL.
  10. Arthur Gunn – Remember Me. Yes, I remember now. The goat-bleating vocals. The slurred enunciation. The XX-Large clothing. On the positive side, his hair looked washed.

taf2002

When the host tells you to start voting before anyone even sings, it's obvious that the votes don't mean anything about who's the best singer. The fact that Arthur didn't get a record deal last year should tell everyone everything they need to know about his talent. Esp since 2 people ranked below him did. I didn't like him last year & I thought he was horrible 2 wks ago - both the song choice & his rendition. Iris? Really?

PeterG

My rankings for tonight:

1. Willie Spence. "Yellow" was the performance of the season, IMHO. But he faltered with You Are So Beautiful. A slowed down version of a ballad is very, very BLAH....

2. Casey Bishop

3. Caleb Kennedy. WTF??? How do I have Caleb in third place?? :eek: Well, his performance of Violet Hill was his best performance of the season, that's why. Plus a few bonus points for FINALLY taking his hat off. :40beers:

4. Grace Kinstler. I would have put her higher if she had not picked one of Adele's most boring songs ever.

5. Hunter Metts. I thought Hunter did quite well, even if his voice cracked in both performances. Question...what was with his BIG-ASS grin at the end as eliminations were happening? That was strange...

6. Chayce Beckham. The lyrics of his original were SCARY. Should he be on suicide watch? :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Arthur Gunn. What was with the running commentary throughout both his songs. Instructing the audience and band what to do between each line of his songs? Very strange. After Caleb's second performance, Ryan mentioned that up next was Arthur and the camera panned to him barely managing to sit on his chair. I thought to myself, "is he stoned"? On the plus side, he put some effort into his wardrobe tonight. :respec:

Weird ending. Hunter and Arthur were eliminated and right away both darted quickly off stage. No opportunity for them to give thanks or say anything. Maybe Arthur was reading all the hate online about AI bringing back people from last season and he just wanted OUT.

taf2002

@PeterG, I agree with you on Willie & Casey with Grace 3rd. I think Caleb should have been gone long ago along with Chayce & Hunter. Arthur shouldn't have even been there. I didn't like his singing last year & I like it even less this year.

I can't believe this is the best they could come up with for top 7. I can't watch this show anymore with the mediocre talent & the egocentric antics of Ryan & the judges. I watched the performances on youtube this morning. I will never watch the actual show anymore. The audition shows are expecially cringing. I want Simon & Paula & the glory days of an entertaining American Idol where real careers were made.

vgerdes

Casey is still my favorite, although Grace gave her some competition last night. They would be my top 2.

I think Willie is a great singer, and has given some of the best performances of the season, but for some reason I find his personality a bit... fake? I dunno. Just an impression.

I like Chayce. Can't really explain it, but I do. I have no problem with him making top 5.

Caleb is just ... Caleb. Not that interesting to me. He sounds like a dozen other country artists out there right now. Although Violet Hill was good.

I agree that Hunter's big-ass grin during the eliminations was weird. It was almost like he knew he was getting eliminated, and was excited to leave? Eh. I thought he was entertaining last night, but the cracks in his vocals probably didn't help him win votes.

Arthur ... I liked him last season, but this time around I just haven't been impressed. I think the comeback premise was deeply flawed and should be scrapped. No do overs.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Arthur ... I liked him last season, but this time around I just haven't been impressed. I think the comeback premise was deeply flawed and should be scrapped. No do overs.
When I first heard about the comeback, I was hoping it was for the people who didn’t survive the last cut after Hollywood week. I was not impressed when it was for folks who already had an opportunity for Amerikuh’s vote.

BaileyCatts

Welp, Caleb is out for something he did when he was 12 years old.

According to Kennedy's mother, Anita Guy, the video was taken when he was 12 years old.

"I hate this has happened and how Caleb is being portrayed by people online," Guy told the Herald-Journal. "This video was taken after Caleb had watched the movie The Strangers: Prey at Night and they were imitating those characters. It had nothing to do with the Ku Klux Klan, but I know that's how it looks."

BaileyCatts

I saw the clip on Twitter. It is literally about 1.3 seconds long. Caleb isn't even the one wearing the hood, the other kid is. I'm not sure if I am thinking of the same movie (as there are dozens of movies with this same premise), but in this movie these psycho people are terrorizing a couple in a cabin in the woods and run around with masks and hoods on to terrorize them. And yes, the hoods looked just like KKK hoods. I think its crazy that a 1.3 second video has effectively destroyed this 16 year old kids life. It will follow him for the rest of his life. He will never have a career in music, not even as a song writer, because no one will want to be associated with him. Hell he probably won't even be able to get a job at McDonald's because the minute he does, someone is going to drag out this 1.3 second video from when he was 12 years old, people will harass his employer to the point they won't want to deal, and they'll fire him. How come it was okay when it was in the movie when it was released? Why was there no outrage that people were running around in hoods in the movie? The kid was 12 years old and he did something dumb and will now never have a career because of it.

When I was 10 I wanted to be a ghost for trick-or-treat so I could hide my fat ugly self. My mom threw a sheet over my head, cut out eye and mouth holes, and put my dad's tie round my neck to keep it straight. I still couldn't keep the sheet straight on my head so I could see, so she took my winter cap (the knit kind with the big puffy ball on the top), stuck it on my head and put some elastic in the brim to keep the sheet tight on my head. I recently found a picture and my first thought was OMG that looks exactly like ..... but it wasn't. If that picture was ever circulated, my life would be destroyed, I would get fired from my job because people would be calling out my employer, my home would be targeted ... all because when I was 10 I dressed up like a ghost and the picture looks like it was something that it wasn't.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’m a firm believer in ignoring stuff kids do before entering high school, unless it’s violent crime. Bad enough that the clip is out there. I’m more worried about the azzhole who had enough free time to dig around and dredge this up. I hope karma catches up with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information