American Idol Reboot

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I’m pretty content with the top 10. I think Catie’s going to hang in there forever via the audience vote but I’m already over her personality gimmick.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I'm okay with Garrett and pouty-face (Marcio) going home. But Jonny has his best performance tonight. I wish he could have stayed and Cade could have gone home (and Cade was my #1 male pick at one time). I would have preferred Mara staying over Maddie, but Mara seems to be an over-rehearsed and over-choreographed factory product. Sounds like she's spent her whole life on stage so she'd had a lack of life experience to bring to her performances.

Glad Jurnee and Dennis were judge's picks, they were 100% the best two of the night.

Overall, I'm happy with the top 10. Just wish they weren't eliminating so many so quickly over the next four weeks. :(

I agree with you about Mara (even though I liked her & I would have preferred her over Catie) but I think the same can be said about Gabby. The head-scratcher for me was Michelle being a judge's pick & Caleb being voted thru. Also puzzling was Jurnee & Dennnis NOT being voted thru. Of the eliminated ones I would like Jonny to go away & get voice lessons & experience & then come back. I thought he had something.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
It is awful awful awful that Garret will no longer be on the screen. This year seems to be a terrible one for male values in our nation, first Ross Minor is no allowed to go to the Olympic Game's, now another up-right man of faith is denied the chance to acheive all of what he should of been able to. Nothing makes scents any more!

My wife and I have a ritual of making a big crock pot of taco meat, sitting down to watch Idol, for years we have had our beefy dinners and watched stars of the future. Now we are thinking we may just keep the beef and boy-cot Idol. We may ignore it now. We may wait and see, once more chance and then it is ignore forever!

It is a hard, hard decision. I will be asking god what we should do, why is the earth a place where this can happen to Ross and Garret.

PeterG

I’m pretty content with the top 10. I think Catie’s going to hang in there forever via the audience vote but I’m already over her personality gimmick.

So you think what Catie has shown is not her true personality? That when the cameras are not rolling she speaks in her English accent and changes into her haute couture gown?

I agree with you about Mara (even though I liked her & I would have preferred her over Catie) but I think the same can be said about Gabby. The head-scratcher for me was Michelle being a judge's pick & Caleb being voted thru. Also puzzling was Jurnee & Dennnis NOT being voted thru. Of the eliminated ones I would like Jonny to go away & get voice lessons & experience & then come back. I thought he had something.

Michelle: The Spanish language music market is HUGE these days. Even moderate hits in Spanish hit 100 million views on youtube.

Caleb: He is so ready for country music stardom. He fits in perfectly with what's selling in country music today.

Jurnee: Katie summed it up best, "what's the disconnect, America?" LOVED that Katie had the ba!!s to call American on their homophobia.

Dennis: Maybe he was splitting votes with Michael and Marcio? Maybe he'll do a bit better with one less male soul singer to split votes with, even though Dennis is more than just a soul singer. I think Dennis is actually more consistent than Michael, whose vocals last night were a bit all over the place.

...I will be asking god what we should do, why is the earth a place where this can happen to Ross and Garret.

You did not capitalize God, so perhaps your lack of true devotion to Our Heavenly Father is what has banished Garrett to Hell. :( :fragile: :wuzrobbed

taf2002

So you think what Catie has shown is not her true personality? That when the cameras are not rolling she speaks in her English accent and changes into her haute couture gown?

Who knows? And if it's not her true persona, why would anyone put on that mess? Ugly clothes that were never the style in any era & goofy acts. to me it seems like she's trying too hard to be quirky but she doesn't quite pull it off. And she doesn't sing that well either.

Michelle: The Spanish language music market is HUGE these days. Even moderate hits in Spanish hit 100 million views on youtube.

I agree. But even the moderate hits are by people who can actually sing.

Caleb: He is so ready for country music stardom. He fits in perfectly with what's selling in country music today.

Maybe my dislike for country music is coloring my opinion of him.

Jurnee: Katie summed it up best, "what's the disconnect, America?" LOVED that Katie had the ba!!s to call American on their homophobia.

Dennis: Maybe he was splitting votes with Michael and Marcio? Maybe he'll do a bit better with one less male soul singer to split votes with, even though Dennis is more than just a soul singer. I think Dennis is actually more consistent than Michael, whose vocals last night were a bit all over the place.

I agree about both Jurnee & Dennis. I loved Michael's cover of Titanium but last night was karaoke.

You did not capitalize God, so perhaps your lack of true devotion to Our Heavenly Father is what has banished Garrett to Hell. :( :fragile: :wuzrobbed

:rofl:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I am not ready to call the Idol voting audience homophobic-only 6 people could get voted through this time- I will wait to see Jurnee and Ada going forward. Part of me thinks Effie would have gone further if 2 people hadn't already cornered the LGBTQ market. Maybe Effie is straight, but that haircut...either way, Effie was 1000% robbed. Demographics. Was it worth it to get pretty Garrett 1 week further?

taf2002

the people I know who watch idol are pretty conservative & would never vote for a lesbian or a drag queen. it was suggested that the results meant the voting public are racist. I don't think it's particularly racist - I think it's homophobic. Dennis - blues/R&B never do well on these shows so that may be why he didn't get in.

the homophobia is bad enough - I hope race really doesn't play a part in the results.

moebius

Why do they make the ones who advanced to top 10 sing? Just to fill up the 2hr time slot?

Maddie's 'Walk Like An Egyptian' was not good. Lucky she didn't sing that song the first day. She's my fave of the top 10, despite that performance. Hope that doesn't happen again or she won't survive long.

I will miss Garrett's right eyebrow, LOL! That is the highlight of the show, wondering where those eyebrows will take him. I noticed his skin cleared up since the auditions. Good thing the audience voted with their ears and not their eyes. Two hunks not advancing to the top 10 probably means that the much less tweens are voting than in the past seasons. I prefer Laine's version of 'Have You Seen The Rain'? I wonder how far Laine will go if he made it to top 24.

Catie's performances haven't been as entertaining as in Hollywood. But I still enjoy watching her to see what she has up her sleeve.

I'm guessing that one of contestants that was voted by the audience to the top 10 win, unless there is some miraculous change in faves from the voters. I'm guessing that Gabby will win at this point.

Michelle will fit in the current pop scene. She's probably the best entertainer I've seen on the show.

Last edited:

PeterG

Why do they make the ones who advanced to top 10 sing? Just to fill up the 2hr time slot?

I thought this was a great idea. Everyone gets another chance to perform, and for those who were voted through to the next round, got to do so with no pressure. For the others, they either got to show that they can handle the pressure of show business...or got one last chance to sing for America. So it was good on all three of those levels for me. Plus instead of a results show which is basically an hour or two of filler, we got to see a lot of singing instead. :respec:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Forcing myself to rank all performances for some reason...pretty devastating to lose Catie but oh well...everyone left is very good also...

1. Maddie- Nothing Compares 2 U- she is my everything
2. Cade- Jungle Love- yea he rocks
3. Catie- Oops- really cool fun version
4. Gabby- How Come...- sounded great, but annoyed that she didn't go for that high note...
5. Gabby- I Hope You Dance- very well done, expected safe choice.
6. Michael- My Heart Will Go On- some really fabulous singing in this towards the end. Weird choice for 1997 for him but he pulled it off.
7. Maddie- If It Makes You Happy- nice job, tough song to sing and sound good on...
8. Cade- Who Will Save Your Soul- nice job, some pitch problems
9. Caleb- When Doves Cry- sounded good, didn't rock my world.
10. Jurnee- Kiss- this was cute but whatever.
11. Michael- I Would Die 4 U- didn't move me in any way, but fine.
12. Caleb- Amazed- sat well on his voice but so dull.
13. Jurnee- Back at One- and this is where it really fell apart for her Idol jurnee...some janky notes but sang well, a very boring song and of all the awesome songs from 1999, she chose this...ugh.
14. Catie- Manic Monday- not really a real Prince song, and not a song that shows off her or anyone well. A foolish choice and I prob wouldn't have rated it higher had she gotten all the words. But it was OK. Might've survived with a real Prince song...

BaileyCatts

What was going on at the very end when the last 3 were waiting to hear who got the final spot with all the OMG facial expressions before the person was announced? And then like right before they went off the air, it was just for a second or two but to me it looked like the judges were standing up trying to get Ryan's attention? Where they trying to do a "Judges Save" and they went off the air before anything could happen? That last like 30 seconds was really strange, and I wasn't recording to play it back.

moebius

West coast gets to watch the broadcast twice, once at 5 and the second at 8.

I actually liked Caleb's version of 'When Doves Cry'. That's the first time I like Caleb's performance.
Maddie was the best tonight, even though both performances weren't as good as some of her previous ones. I kinda did not like her version of 'Nothing Compares 2U'. Her Sheryl Crow song was okay.
Catie was a mess tonite, even without the forgotten lyrics. Didn't like her version of 'Manic Monday'. Her take on Britney Spears' song is weird in not so good way. I still like her personality on stage.
Cade's rendition of 'Jungle Love' was pretty good. His version of the Jewel song is not bad, but with some pitch issues.
Gabby is probably the most comfortable performing on stage, but I'm not so crazy with her vocals.
Jurnee has good vocals, but boring.
I'm not getting the Michael love. He's okay, but not great. I don't think his performances so far lived up to that Broadway performance he had in Hollywood.

I'm thinking Gabby or Caleb will win, but hoping Maddie will.

taf2002

To me, Caleb is the most vanilla performer & his "gee shucks" shtick is wearing awfully thin. And Cade is a mess every time. I like rockers but he hits sour notes (pitchy) all the time. And to me he's not that attractive although I like his hair. But if a man acted to a female contestant like Katy Perry does to Cade, he would be gone by now. It's sickening.

I don't really see any of them as stars. Gabby has a good voice but she's pretty vanilla too. Everything about her is rehearsed, it's like a Stepford Wife. Maddie is too girl next door. I guess Michael has the most ability but he needs at least a year's coaching on style & voice. If he wins or comes in 2nd maybe he'll get it.

BaileyCatts

T.....I don't really see any of them as stars. .......

Agreed! They are all good singers and good performers, but none of them screams "star" to mean. As in radio play, everyone knows them whether you listen to that genre or not, s-t-a-r. Can't really compare but I always think back to Carrie Underwood on AI. Just watching her each week I would think 'that girl is going to be the biggest thing to hit country music in years!'. What ever "it" is, she had "it". None of these people do. :blah:

chantilly

Yup
This show is officially off my pvr list.
I was already on the fence for a couple of weeks, but this clinched it.
Doubt I’ll even watch this episode based on the comments.
It honestly feels like the first couple of seasons when there was a lot of duds.
I can see Gabby doing well. She’s a pop country cross over.
But she’s not that interesting.
Also the judges suck.
Luke contributes nothing, Lionel spews a bunch of nonsense, and Katy is just way too odd and creepy with her hitting on the contestants. If she were a man she wouldn’t be allowed to behave this way.
They also say almost nothing critical or constructive.
Being critical does not equate to
Being mean.
It’s also what bugs me about the Voice.
If they are off pitch, they should be criticized for it.

Sally1214

Can anyone explain to me WHY it even matters how anyone performs on any given night? The voting begins the minute the show starts and ends after the final commercial break. So, to me, this says that all the super-voters start hitting redial/retweet for their faves before ANYONE even sings. Obviously, the LAST performer has NO hope of swaying the masses his/her way during ONE commercial.break. So, what's the point of a contestant agonizing over how well a performance goes? With 15 million votes counted 20 minutes into the show, you might as well just sing "Row, row, row your boat," because it doesn't matter how well you do. It's all over. I think It's ridiculous
Maybe they couldn"t get enough sponsors to allow voters to weigh in AFTER the performances and have a proper "results" show on a 2nd night?

PeterG

Can anyone explain to me WHY it even matters how anyone performs on any given night?

I think this year is the first time they've done it this way. When I first heard Ryan say that people could start voting...and no one had even SUNG yet, I was just... Well, the :rolleyes: emoji sums it up for me. :(

moebius

Maybe they couldn"t get enough sponsors to allow voters to weigh in AFTER the performances and have a proper "results" show on a 2nd night?
I think they should reveal the results the following week before the performances start, like they did on season 15.

taf2002

I don't understand Caleb being voted into the top 3. He is the most bland contestant that I can remember. I'm not saying he doesn't have a good voice but there is no star quality there. I would say it's because people vote before they even hear anyone sing but what would lead one to vote in masse to him based on past performances? It must be because he's the only country singer.

IMO Gabby & Michael were the stars last night. I like Maddie but neither of her performances moved me, but then Cade didn't either. He rightfully went home IMO but I really regret Michael. I hope someone snatches him up.

Allskate

I don't understand Caleb being voted into the top 3. He is the most bland contestant that I can remember.

Because Scotty McCreary was Mr. Personality? If you're bland, voters don't find you offensive. And you get bonus points for being a Southerner and singing country.

PeterG

I don't understand Caleb being voted into the top 3. He is the most bland contestant that I can remember. I'm not saying he doesn't have a good voice but there is no star quality there. I would say it's because people vote before they even hear anyone sing but what would lead one to vote in masse to him based on past performances? It must be because he's the only country singer.

IMO Gabby & Michael were the stars last night. I like Maddie but neither of her performances moved me, but then Cade didn't either. He rightfully went home IMO but I really regret Michael. I hope someone snatches him up.

Carrie Underwood didn't have a dynamic personality when she was on American Idol. She still doesn't, with the exception of doing a decent job of delivering lines written by somebody else when she hosts the country music award show she does with Brad Paisley. Caleb is perhaps the person who most often delivers a flawless performance. I can't even remember him hitting a bad note, actually. Everybody else has, though. I agree that he's not Mr. Personality, but that's how the country music world likes their performers (Miranda Lambert excluded).

I liked Michael early on, but his vocal phrasing has gone totally into whacko-ville. Very strange sounding. Plus he re-writes the melody for every song he performs now and nothing he sings sounds like the original anymore. I think he could have success if he works with people who harness his talent and direct it very precisely, but it would mean he would have to do what he's told to do for a few years until all the bugs get ironed out.

I only saw clips of the two who were eliminated and it sounded like they were singing the same song. :rolleyes:

You thought Michael and Cade sounded alike??!! :eek:

I think the final 2 girls were a lock-in, but the third could have been Caleb or Michael.

The third was Caleb.

Susan1

You thought Michael and Cade sounded alike??!! :eek:
I only saw clips of the two who were eliminated and it sounded like they were singing the SAME SONG.
Meaning the Carrie Underwood songs sounded so much alike. I don't know her music. The only one I could recognize is about scratching some guy's truck because he cheated or something.

TheGirlCanSkate

Yes, I know Caleb was a final 3 - I was lucky enough to be at the studio (so much for me swearing the rest of the season off). What I meant was, either of them could have been in the top 3, it didn't matter to me, they were pretty equal Sunday. Michael really had a lot of crowd support, live he is much more charismatic. Caleb was the same on tv as in person. His vocals are a little stronger than Michael. But Michael live has more personality.

I think the final will be Gabby or Maddie. Gabby is more energetic and versatile. Maddie has this unique vibe. In the studio, when Maddie sang her last song, no one moved - it was riveting. All night you were aware of people around you, but the room just seemed to freeze when she sang.

BaileyCatts

Wow. No one commented after the Finals Sunday night? :wideeyes: All I'll say, as the Finale is starting, is that Maddie should win. :p

moebius

Maddie had the best original song and overall based on the 3 rounds. I also liked her own original song. It's the type of music that I will buy. She may not be running around the stage like Gabby, but she doesn't need to to take command of the stage. There are many big name performers, like Adele and Tori Amos who don't run around stage because they don't need to. I'm looking forward to hear sing with Kermit the Frog. Hope that America will prove me wrong and vote for Maddie.

Still think that Gabby is a Carrie Underwood wannabe no matter how hard she tries to be her own self.

That's cool that they allowed the some of the eliminated contestants to sing their own song. Surprised that only Katie, Michelle, and Jonny were the only contestants in the top 24 that had original songs. They had to ask Harper Grace, a top 50 contestant to fill the fourth spot.

BaileyCatts

Did they really just give that dude an alpaca?! :rofl: Oh wait ... maybe just symbolically adopted? But he does live on a farm, right? Am I here all by myself? That's okay, I frequently talk to myself. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information