American Idol Reboot

TheGirlCanSkate

This is the time of year where there is almost nothing new on tv, so something like Idol seemed very passive for background noise. I was surprised how it sucked us in. It's more true to the first season, judges are kinder and funny. I had no idea that Katy Perry was funny, but she is pretty funny in a likable way. Lionel is 68! And looks fantastic. Luke - I have no idea who he is, but he reminds me of Good Mythical Morning's Rhett. I guess I'd say this show is charming.

As for the hits and flops,Mara Justine was a favorite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo8-zYTUEqI&t=0s&list=PL8x9Zx_hMDsY9nToRMH_7w4dcYBwfY9Pi&index=25 My daughter said her voice is that feeling when you drag your arm through still water. Like butter.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
My friends and I feel that the focus seems to be back on the contestants, with enough fun from the judges to not be too overbearing - the judges don't seem to be all LOOK AT ME thus far.

I'm not mad at the show so far. I can't say that for the many seasons I endured after 2009 or so.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I was happy that two of the contestants for the audition were from Louisiana. I liked Garrett Jacobs a lot. He's from Bossier City, La. and was on my local ABC news station two days before the audition.

I found his audition on YouTube.

Garrett Jacobs puts his spin on James Brown tune.

Totally loved him, and he calls his grandmother Honey. (y)

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
My friends and I feel that the focus seems to be back on the contestants, with enough fun from the judges to not be too overbearing - the judges don't seem to be all LOOK AT ME thus far.

I'm not mad at the show so far. I can't say that for the many seasons I endured after 2009 or so.

Katy is all about LOOK AT ME plus she & Luke are so immature.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I don't know, somehow it seems different than JLo. And I am not a Katy fan, believe me.

Luke is weird, definitely.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
To me, Sunday night’s show was an embarrassment. Not because of the contestants, as some were actually good, but because of Katy’s and Luke’s (and the producers) seeming lack of professionalism. I’m no longer planning to watch live. Instead I’ll just watch/listen to the audition, then skip to the next. I sure hope the panel gets a clue before Hollywood week as I don’t see ANY constructive criticism coming from anyone but Lionel.

Susan1

I've only watched parts when there is nothing else on, but they don't seem to be taking it as seriously as the contestants are. They seem to be trying to embarrass them before they sing or making it all about themselves. Except for Lionel, who IS professional about it.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Luke Bryan is supposed to be "Blake", but he falls short in every aspect. I won't bother with the show until they get to the end.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Last night was pretty bad. And those twins towards the end - I kept saying ANUNCIATE! I couldn't understand a word that the first twin was singing, yet they all got such praise. Meh.

Susan1

They thought the girl playing the piano was so great because she was so loud, then complained about the guy being too loud, that Lionel put his hands on his shoulders. I think he would have done better with some sort of accompaniment. Why DO they all have to scream. The heavy metal guy's voice wasn't bad. I bet he could sing a real song pretty good (edited - pretty "well" :) ). And I was thinking...instead of everybody going in there and showing how loud they can be or doing original songs that kind of meander around (it's not a song writing competition), they should ask them to sing Happy Birthday in their performing voice or some song with a normal beat just to see if they can hit the right notes. I don't know.

:) After I was in choir for two years, they made us all go in the lesson room separately with the piano and sing Let There Be Peace on Earth ALONE! to see if we were still sopranos or altos or what. I JUST thought of that while I was typing. :)

Allskate

I've only watched parts when there is nothing else on, but they don't seem to be taking it as seriously as the contestants are. They seem to be trying to embarrass them before they sing or making it all about themselves. Except for Lionel, who IS professional about it.

Is this really much different from Paula and Simon? I actually think that their comments are more substantive and specific than judges like Paula, Simon, and JLo. And they're definitely nicer to the contestants than Simon was.

Having said that, I'm not really enjoying them.

I'm curious about whether they're going to go back to the the annoying theme weeks where they pretend that the contestants has a whole bunch of song choices.

Susan1

Is this really much different from Paula and Simon? I actually think that their comments are more substantive and specific than judges like Paula, Simon, and JLo. And they're definitely nicer to the contestants than Simon was.

Having said that, I'm not really enjoying them.

I'm curious about whether they're going to go back to the the annoying theme weeks where they pretend that the contestants has a whole bunch of song choices.
Yeah, they are nicer than Simon was, but it's all the distractions and jokes and "look at me" before the contestants have to sing. Ask them about their sob story after they sing. (I did love the country singer whose adoptive mother died though. This Is Us doesn't make me cry. His song did. And NO!!! I did not just jinx him!!!) That's a good thing about the beginning of The Voice, which I hardly watch either. They don't base their votes on pity - or comment on the dress or the hair or babies before they sing. Funny - I mentioned singing Happy Birthday just to tell if you can really sing, and then that one guy did (very well, too)!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I love it, love the judges, agree Katy is funny, love that they are showing SO much fewer joke auditions and more good singing. The talent this year is off the charts. Its hard to pick a favorite when everyone is so great and different. I would have put heavy metal through too, guy had a cool voice.

TheGirlCanSkate

I watched, I really like the stories - I thought the girl who did the yodeling was interesting - she didn't start trick riding or singing until the last 4 years and pursued both well. I'm curious enough to see how she does in the next round - will she become more mainstream? I feel like she can do it. The girl who was a nanny was interesting as well - she looked so much older than 16, I'd like to see some weight off her shoulders by having a fun new experience.

moebius

That girl who brought her dog should have offered to clean up her doggie poo. She shouldn't let the Idol staff clean up after her doggie's mess. They are not paid to do that. I'm glad she wasn't able to go through to Hollywood b/c I just don't like those kind of people. I had no idea that feces have to be blurred on tv. What's so offensive about doggie poo?

TheGirlCanSkate

That so rude to bring a dog to something like that, and then to not clean up. Kind of funny how every time she tried to sing the dog pooped. :D She must scare the bejeesus out of that dog with her singing.

taf2002

Katy & Luke acted a little better (read more adult) last night & there was some real talent. But that was the end of the auditions so I probably won't watch again till they go live. I hate all the confusion & unfairness of Hollywood week.

ETA: forgot to mention the drag queen audition. He's not exactly Ru Paul Drag Queen material. That was the worst make-up job I've ever seen on someone in drag. And he made a very disturbing-looking woman. He has a decent voice but I don't see him making it to the live shows. He only made it to the top 50 five years ago.

Last edited:

TheGirlCanSkate

That first Hollywood week episode was a crush - too much going on so it felt hurried and rushed - they should have just culled the singers better during auditions instead of bringing so many to Hollywood.

moebius

Surprised that Laine Hardy, who resembles a young Eddie Furlong made it through group rounds. He didn't even expect it either. Probably Katy convinced the other two dudes to let him through since he's a cutie. If he keeps having underwhelming performances, he won't go far as the judges won't give him any more chances.

Last edited:

taf2002

That first Hollywood week episode was a crush - too much going on so it felt hurried and rushed - they should have just culled the singers better during auditions instead of bringing so many to Hollywood.

They never did before so why expect it now?

BaileyCatts

Okay, they got me with the opening tonight with Chris Harrison opening the show. I thought some stuff musta went down I missed since I spent all weekend catching up on my DVR recordings and watched no news ... and then, April Fool. Got me. :p

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
So far, tonight’s been a bit of a snooze. I don’t see anyone I’d actually vote for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information