All Things PBS, Pt 2

A.H.Black

First of all, the previous thread has over 1000 posts so it's time for a new one. I trust one of the moderators will close it.

Downton Abbey is back.

I'm watching the first part of the first episode as I speak - which I missed the first time around. I thought it would make an auspicious start to the second thread. Of course the opening news is the sinking of the Titanic.

Skate Talker

So is it true that PBS and other cable stations like Vision (in Canada) will shortly no longer have access to the British gems? I hear as each current license expires they will not be renewed, nor will any new programs be available. I hear Acorn is going to have all rights. My source is just my sister so could be wrong - does anyone know?

Sylvia

TBD
Nancy Kerrigan will be on the Celebrity Edition of Antiques Roadshow:
https://twitter.com/NancyAKerrigan/status/1387827998695567368 & https://www.instagram.com/p/COQk9rtBYPv/
So excited to be a part of @RoadshowPBS’ first ever “Celebrity Edition” episodes. Find out what their experts have to say about my Olympic medals and more on Monday, May 3 at 8/7 PM on PBS! #AntiquesRoadshow
ETA the link to watch her part of the episode:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpts:
The greatest threat facing Masterpiece, however, is television itself, or what many now call the “post-television landscape.” The medium has always been volatile, and half of the PBS budget comes through the membership of their stations. But within the past ten years, television has undergone a revolution disrupting all that once defined it. That revolution is streaming. [...]
How do you survive in such a climate? Those at PBS and Masterpiece have both shown incredible pluck and resourcefulness. Masterpiece now has its own app so we can watch “Poldark” at breakfast or replay our favorite episodes of “Sherlock” at 3:00 a.m., with the proceeds going to the program rather than BritBox or Amazon Prime.
And according to [PBS President/CEO Paula] Kerger, PBS is “getting involved a little earlier up the stream in some productions and bringing those to our audience. We have a big audience because we are a broadcaster, and I think for many properties that’s appealing to — and we partner with a lot of other organizations. So, there are programs that are on PBS that are also on some of the streamers as well.”
PBS is embarking on the use of virtual reality for its concerts and interactive gaming for its children’s shows. Knowing how much TV excellence is out there, it now promotes itself as one of the few venues dedicated to learning. And in a poignant irony, given how critics once slammed it for its “snob appeal,” PBS has become one of the only services that cater to viewers in poor, rural areas who don’t have access to Netflix or Hulu or even basic cable.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the U.S. Pairs thread in GSD:
The promo for the next episode of the PBS documentary series Human: The World Within, indicates that it's going to have some skating content. This is the description of the episode: "Dive into the stories of a pairs figure skating team, a perfumer, a cave explorer and a musician to decipher how different ways of sensing the world all create their own vivid and unique picture."

There was a brief clip of a pair team, not really identifiable by me, but the voiceover referred to "Tara(h)" and the male partner could have been Danny. I'm thinking Kayne and O'Shea, though it could be Tarah with someone else or a different Tara(h).

The show airs in my East Coast hometown at 10 PM on Wednesday (May 26) EDT.
Yes, Kayne/O'Shea - here's an almost 3-minute clip featuring them from Episode 5 Proprioception - The Sixth Sense: https://www.pbs.org/video/proprioception-sixth-sense-q3wgxi/

ETA: I believe this was filmed at the Monument, CO rink last July.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

The Antiques Roadshow is coming to my neighborhood. I was on the phone this afternoon with my mother trying to figure out if we want to submit an item for review and if so, which one. You have to submit an application with the item description, digital photos and if there is a story behind the item and if known, provenance. Has anyone else done this? I had a hard time getting my 97 year mother on board.

A.H.Black

I'm just way behind on everything.

I just finished SS-GB. I liked the ambience and atmosphere. I hated how the whole plot was changed.

jeffisjeff

Surely, there is someone else watching Baptiste or Grantchester at the moment 🤔
I just finished Baptiste season 2 (since I have PBS passport). For some reason, PBS Passport doesn't give me privileges for Grantchester, so I am watching it week by week.

Seerek

My quarterly Bump of the thread :lol: ...

... anyone watching either "Around the World in 80 Days" or "All Creatures Great and Small"?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm enjoying "All Creatures." I'm a huge fan of the books, and of course I notice every little thing that's different, but I've finally reached the age where I'm no longer a purist and can enjoy the show for what it is. :lol: It's very sweet and funny.

Lizziebeth

Watched 'Andersen's Seaside Hotel' on passport. Enjoyed it very much. It is in Danish with subtitles, so I watched it on my computer monitor so I could pause if I missed something. I recommend it.

Allskate

... anyone watching either "Around the World in 80 Days" or "All Creatures Great and Small"?
I'm watching both and enjoying both. Apparently, there is going to be a second season for Around the World. I read the book last year and am actually enjoying how different the series is from the book.

I haven't read "All Creatures Great and Small." I just bought it, but maybe I should wait until after the series is over?

Lizziebeth

I'm watching both and enjoying both. Apparently, there is going to be a second season for Around the World. I read the book last year and am actually enjoying how different the series is from the book.

I haven't read "All Creatures Great and Small." I just bought it, but maybe I should wait until after the series is over?
I have read the books. (and seen the original series made many years ago, which was wonderful). You can read the books now. The new series doesn't follow the books that closely.

The books are not a chronological tale of his life. They follow him around Yorkshire as he does his thing. The kind of book you can read for a while and come back to.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Watching Around the World. At first didn't like it but hung in. Very glad I did. so different from the original David Niven/shirley McClain/Cantinflas movie!

kedrin

I'm watching All Creatures, and kind of half watching Around the World. I'm enjoying All Creatures- I read the books a long time ago and watched the original series. It's sweet, easy viewing, and the Yorkshire dales.....

I will be taking an Olympics break, of course.

Allskate

Watching Around the World. At first didn't like it but hung in. Very glad I did. so different from the original David Niven/shirley McClain/Cantinflas movie!
I didn't see that movie. I did watch the Jackie Chan version of Around the World last year. People clearly feel that they can take great liberties with that novel. :D

Most PBS stations allow you to watch their shows online for free for a couple of weeks after they air, so I'll probably watch these shows on a day when there isn't skating.

sk9tingfan

I didn't see that movie. I did watch the Jackie Chan version of Around the World last year. People clearly feel that they can take great liberties with that novel. :D

Most PBS stations allow you to watch their shows online for free for a couple of weeks after they air, so I'll probably watch these shows on a day when there isn't skating.
I'm showing my age:) the original movie was out in 1956. I saw it as a child and still have some distinct memories.

A.H.Black

Saw both but much later when I got to my recordings. "Around the World in 80 Days" required great effort on my part to NOT remember the book. Sheesh. It worked as a TV show, but not as an adaptation of the book. Now I get the impression they are going to do a season 2. Looks like it is lightly based on "20,000 Leagues under the Sea". Oh Dear.

I will be back when I finally watch my recordings of Sanditon.

sk9tingfan

Saw both but much later when I got to my recordings. "Around the World in 80 Days" required great effort on my part to NOT remember the book. Sheesh. It worked as a TV show, but not as an adaptation of the book. Now I get the impression they are going to do a season 2. Looks like it is lightly based on "20,000 Leagues under the Sea". Oh Dear.

I will be back when I finally watch my recordings of Sanditon.
Steel yourself....

A.H.Black

So, I finished Sanditon. I'm glad I noticed in the credits that it is now "inspired" by Jane Austen and no longer purports to be taken from Jane Austen. For someone who is trying to be strong, level headed, and taking charge of her one life - Charlotte is an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information