Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsZem

I see the sea
Savchenko was always very focused on achieving her goals, and some of her decisions seemed questionable at the time (like partnering with Massot). But while she may have pushed it in some respects in the past, everything she did was still within reason for an ambitious, elite-level athlete; the risk-taking and commitment made sense. However, she went too far by trying to skate with Nyman, and the sad thing is how unnecessary it was. She's achieved everything possible in skating and could have had a wonderful post-competitive life. And she had to have known that at some point she'd have to find something to do that was not competitive skating.

Hedwig

Antique member
Regarding the basket: this steams from an old dance tradition. There each women/girl got a basket for a special dance game. Then two men are going up to her and she choses one to dance with and the other gets the basket.
Then two women go to the men and one gets the basket and one dances with him.
So "to get a basket" means not to be chosen to dance with the person who can decide and is used very broadly in Germany for instances when you are not chosen for something.

hanca

Values her privacy
She's achieved everything possible in skating and could have had a wonderful post-competitive life. And she had to have known that at some point she'd have to find something to do that was not competitive skating.
Knowing she should move on is one thing, but being able to may be much harder. She is not the only skater who struggles to do so. There have been quite a few examples of return to competition, even though the skaters already achieved what they could. Virtue/Moir, Yuna Kim…

I don’t see it ‘unnecessary’ as you described it. She wanted to return and she tried. She just chose not the right way to achieve it. She should have started much earlier, and choose much longer with the selection of the partner.

seabm7

Knowing she should move on is one thing, but being able to may be much harder. She is not the only skater who struggles to do so. There have been quite a few examples of return to competition, even though the skaters already achieved what they could. Virtue/Moir, Yuna Kim…
In case of Yuna Kim, my impression was her desire to get olymic tickets for younger skaters and help South Korea to get the 2018 host place was a major factor in continuing her skating career.

She never did a GP after Vancouver. Some of them were skipped intentionally while others were given up due to injuries.

Last edited:

Jamalele

I am not sure, Liam is still with her. Recently his father posted to be looking forward to meet Amilia 2 days later after finally 2 yrs but just has seen his son. So why wasnt Amilia in the meeting with Liam- after 2 yrs? And in the pics with Amilia there was no Aljona, only Liam with his parents ....

Aljona has always been into family. In my opinion Liam looked Kind of heartbroken by far not as lucky as he used to....

What has happened to Liam Cross? Is he following her around or is he collateral damage?

Happy Birthday to Amilia Savchenko Cross. Two today.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
In case of Yuna Kim, my impression was her desire to get olymic tickets for younger skaters and help South Korea to get the 2018 host place was a major factor in continuing her skating career.
Plus her pushy mom.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The unnecessary part was choosing TJ Nyman as a partner and associating with Sappenfeld.
I wonder (a) what they told her and (b) what kind of real choices she had.

I know some people think she could get anyone she wanted as a partner. But if I were a male pairs skater in the US, I'm not sure I would want to partner with someone who was in their mid-to-late 30s and wasn't going to get US citizenship for possibly 2 Olympic cycles.

Note: this does not excuse her from partnering with someone with those kinds of allegations against him and the coach. Just more of an explanation for how desperation could cloud her judgment.

sus2850

What I do not understand was that the US federation asked Germany for her release. Couldn‘t they alert her that Sappenfield was indeed under investigation? If it is true that they advised US teams to leave the camp it makes no sense to invite her in. Or do you think Aljona did not tell them where she intended to train?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
So much drama in this thread alone I don’t mind missing housewives for two weeks. I would love to pick the brain of Alexa Knierim and see why they left her so abruptly…

And was worth returning back to the USA Coachless A hot minute before skate America

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Note: this does not excuse her from partnering with someone with those kinds of allegations against him and the coach. Just more of an explanation for how desperation could cloud her judgment.
You'd think there would be someone at Nyman's level who would think they'd have a better chance with Savchenko than the almost no chance they have now.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Several German fans apparently still have not understood the problem about this situation despite having read the German article and still are super happy Aljona might have a comeback :wall: .

Just shows you that in the country where Fajfr is still allowed to coach, people often don't give a shit about sexual predators.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So much drama in this thread alone I don’t mind missing housewives for two weeks. I would love to pick the brain of Alexa Knierim and see why they left her so abruptly…

And was worth returning back to the USA Coachless

You’re right - Why did the Knierims leave Aljona so quickly?

The entire story is so sad, especially when one thinks about the daughter having her 2nd birthday today. Aljona needs to find a way to end her public-facing career on a high, with humility, then just move on.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Liam’s Instagram celebrates daughter’s b’day:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
What I do not understand was that the US federation asked Germany for her release. Couldn‘t they alert her that Sappenfield was indeed under investigation? If it is true that they advised US teams to leave the camp it makes no sense to invite her in. Or do you think Aljona did not tell them where she intended to train?
I don't think they would have asked for a release if she didn't have a partner and they didn't know who the partner was.

So... either they warned her and she went ahead anyway. Or they didn't warn her. Both are 🤔 and 🤯 to me.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Maybe Krasnopolski will qualify a spot for Israel at Nebelhorn! He will have no problem dumping his current partner for Aljona. :EVILLE:
But then again...Aljona would need to find a Jewish great-grandmother or something in her family tree in order to get Israeli citizenship.
Ask Ilia Tkachenko how well that worked out for him.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
The German Aljona-fans on fb are now telling me to stfu and stop spreading lies...although somebody else posted the article that doesn't even paint a nice picture of their goddess...the delusion is strong with these people.

sus2850

The German Aljona-fans on fb are now telling me to stfu and stop spreading lies...although somebody else posted the article that doesn't even paint a nice picture of their goddess...the delusion is strong with these people.
Where is that? I never found an active German Fs group on Facebook?

hanca

Values her privacy
Krasnapolski was born in Ukraine, so that was an option.... too bad he competed at Cranberry recently and won't make the one year waiting period. :EVILLE:
Actually, that wouldn’t be a bad idea. It’s a pity it is too late for that now. Krasnopolski is an experienced skater (unlike Nyman) and he is used to changing a partner every year so that means that he must by pretty good at starting from zero and learning to synchronise jumps and other elements with someone new. I think it could have worked pretty well. Or at least, it had a better chance to succeed than finding an inexperienced partner who has never even competed at senior world championships.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Regarding the basket: this steams from an old dance tradition. There each women/girl got a basket for a special dance game. Then two men are going up to her and she choses one to dance with and the other gets the basket.
Then two women go to the men and one gets the basket and one dances with him.
So "to get a basket" means not to be chosen to dance with the person who can decide and is used very broadly in Germany for instances when you are not chosen for something.
Gawd, I'm glad that tradition doesn't extend to dances I've attended. Otherwise, I'd have enough baskets to open my own Crate & Barrell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information