Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nune

for quite a long time Aljona didn’t post any photos together with her husband, nor did he … I asked myself if they’re still a couple?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I just saw that Aljona has deleted her photo, announcing her switch to the US on Instagram.

Any news on Nyman and/or Sappenfield?

Geriatricfan

I first saw Aljpne performing with Robin in an Andre Rieu video. Since then I have become a fan and have watched many of her performances and interviews.
She comes across as being a very nice person. That is why I can't understand why she would team up with someone who might tarnish her legacy. I'm not sure that moving to the US is a wise move at her stage of her career.
I hope that her marriage is solid. They seemed so much in love and have a beautiful little girl. Being a wife, mother and champion skater can't be easy.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I first saw Aljpne performing with Robin in an Andre Rieu video. Since then I have become a fan and have watched many of her performances and interviews.
She comes across as being a very nice person. That is why I can't understand why she would team up with someone who might tarnish her legacy. I'm not sure that moving to the US is a wise move at her stage of her career.
I hope that her marriage is solid. They seemed so much in love and have a beautiful little girl. Being a wife, mother and champion skater can't be easy.
Have you been using Internet Explorer?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
A new German article on the Aljona situation and the first German one that offers a critical view on her stunt with Nyman and Sappenfield: https://taz.de/Eiskunstlaeuferin-Savchenko-vor-Comeback/!5795453/

It doesn't really contain any news, just that the bridges with Bruno are burnt, he doesn't even want to skate shows with her anymore, Aljona has difficulty finding a partner and she herself didn't even want to talk to the journalist. She is apparently coaching a young skater named Anna Grekul and even took her with her to the US and to the camps in France...I'm not sure I like this part, considering who she used to skate with at these camps. The article says she pretty much lost all of her other pupils, including Aya Hatakawa because the other kids (apart from Grekul) refused to come to the US with her and had to find new coaches. Moreover, people in Oberstdorf aren't too happy about the way she left for the US, the article says it was badly communicated and a lot of people seem to be quite angry with Aljona.

I wonder if she finally understood she buried her career when she went to the US to skate with Nyman in Sappenfield's rape camp.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I wonder what happened with Bruno. They used to have a very good relationship off the ice. I think Aljona said that Bruno was the partner she was closest with.
In the article, it says that Bruno also had quite a temper and that he at least once left a training camp because of Aljona's antics. He is no Robin and wouldn't take all the shit from her. Their coach Alexander König is a trained mediator and had a lot of work with these two.
And since quite a few people in Oberstdorf are angry with her because of the way her switch to the US was orchestrated and communicated I can see Bruno being pissed as well. That way she also took away his chances at show skating with her.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I wonder what happened with Bruno. They used to have a very good relationship off the ice. I think Aljona said that Bruno was the partner she was closest with.

I always thought that was a bit of PR. I sort of resented all the implications that it was soooo much more fun and easy working with him than Robin. Pretty sure if the situation with Robin wasn't great that the toxic ones there were Ingo and Aljona.

alexikeguchi

Not to mention Bruno changed his citizenship for her. I know it's all EU, and he can live in France as a German citizen, but he still made a lot of sacrifices that she apparently doesn't even appreciate.

alexikeguchi

The way the article is written is even more tragic than Aliona‘s search for a new partner :yikes:
Not speaking German, I relied on Google Translate which gave me this wtf sentence at the end of the third paragraph:

"However, she had never seen this as her calling, but instead flirted with a return to competitive sport, but buried her hopes in April when partner Bruno Massot, now very successful in the coaching field, finally gave her a basket."

A basket?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Not to mention Bruno changed his citizenship for her. I know it's all EU, and he can live in France as a German citizen, but he still made a lot of sacrifices that she apparently doesn't even appreciate.
I was never a fan of Aliona, mainly because of the personality issues. She fully deserved the OGM and the numerous world titles she won. I can respect her achievements but it is hard for me to be her fan.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Not speaking German, I relied on Google Translate which gave me this wtf sentence at the end of the third paragraph:

"However, she had never seen this as her calling, but instead flirted with a return to competitive sport, but buried her hopes in April when partner Bruno Massot, now very successful in the coaching field, finally gave her a basket."

A basket?
I wonder if it's meant to be a pass, as in no thanks?

LeafOnTheWind

A basket?
wait until you get to the ice cream sentence

When the American association made an inquiry to the DEU, Savchenko had already been in the USA for several weeks and was trying to find an ice cream partnership with the 21-year-old American Tommy Joe Nyman.

What bothers me is how they claim it was unclear there were issues with teaming up with Nyman and Sappenfield. I think everyone knew investigations were on the way.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

A basket?
Reminds me of the sheepskin coat that's always coming up in translations from Russian.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

A basket?
"jmd. einen Korb geben" ( = "giving someone a basket") means saying "no" or dumping someone.

It could've been a great rep title "is giving Aljona a basket" :lol:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I'm not certain someone can write about her motivations without actually speaking to her. Or Bruno for that matter.
The journalist spoke to Daniel Wende who is one of the main coaches in Oberstdorf now. He said he cannot say anything about Aljona's new plans, but Aljona herself refused to answer the questions.

It is the first German article to address the Nyman/Sappenfield problem AT ALL. Before that, the little amount of press coverage here in Germany we got about her switch to the US was all like "wow, that's soooo great!". As I've said here before, I had A LOT of fights and discussions on the German fs fan group because no one wanted to believe me that this partnership is highly problematic. I was insulted, attacked and called a liar not only once. Now these people are eating their words.

Orm Irian

She is apparently coaching a young skater named Anna Grekul and even took her with her to the US and to the camps in France...[/QUOTE]

Grekul is a Swiss skater, early to mid teens and not on the national team IIRC. No decent coach should have even thought about taking her into that environment and no parent should have allowed it either. I'm guessing she's the current unpaid nanny...

karmena

All this sounds like a modern version of the Russian folktale The Golden Fish.
Wish and hope the ending for Aliona will be better than in The Golden Fish.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
She is apparently coaching a young skater named Anna Grekul and even took her with her to the US and to the camps in France...

Grekul is a Swiss skater, early to mid teens and not on the national team IIRC. No decent coach should have even thought about taking her into that environment and no parent should have allowed it either. I'm guessing she's the current unpaid nanny...
Grekul used to represent Switzerland, but apparently has relocated to Oberstdorf to train with Aljona.

And yes, I agree with you 100%.

hanca

Values her privacy
He didn’t change his citizenship. He obtained one more citizenship, but he didn’t have to give up his French citizenship. Kavaguti changed her citizenship because she had to give up Japanese to get Russian citizenship. But Massot did not have to lose anything to get German citizenship, so I don’t really know what sacrifices you talk about. Having to sit a german exam? Big deal, it was worth it, he did get the olympic gold medal at the end, which he wouldn’t have without Aljona.

ioana

I think Aljona has been so driven with only one goal in mind for so long that she might seriously have no idea what to do without skating. I have a feeling she can't just sit at home and chill.
Think it might be even more specific than that. She's addicted to competition adrenaline and nothing else in the skating realm seems to fill that void - coaching, seminars, etc. She even makes really bad decision while trying to get her 'fix'.

canbelto

Think it might be even more specific than that. She's addicted to competition adrenaline and nothing else in the skating realm seems to fill that void - coaching, seminars, etc. She even makes really bad decision while trying to get her 'fix'.

Also people seem to get burned out when dealing with her. If she leaves working relationships on bad terms with everyone, you have to think the problem is her, not other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information