Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepdarkdilemma

I remember writing on her Instagram account that I was disappointed with the fact that she paired with Nyman and I think she's been deleting comments. What I am most confused is why did she leave Bruno? Couldn't she just kept on representing Germany? I'm thinking that Bruno didn't want to carry on or perhaps he didn't personally liked Aljona. Man, I just thought she was a changed woman after the incident with Robin and the Igbo dude but I guess not

Orm Irian

What I am most confused is why did she leave Bruno? Couldn't she just kept on representing Germany?
Bruno a) has officially retired, b) has transitioned to a coaching career and started a new pairs training school in France, and c) has back injuries that pretty much preclude him ever training seriously and competing again even if he wanted to, and Germany has no competition-eligible male pair skaters willing or able to pair up with Aljona.

DreamSkates

Appalling.

And this German + British team wishes to represent America? Not on my watch,honey.

I weep for the Knierims.

-BB
I wept momentarily but after reading the posts about the choice of partner and wondering how US judges would view the quality of the pair together, I don’t see how this will be a positive move for Alijona’s career. Or that any top US pairs are shaking in their boots given it takes the quality of two skaters to win medals on the senior level.
If I were to guess, it is difficult to leave the limelight of standing on the medals podium and Alijona has an identity too closely tied to figure skating to let go of being in the winners circle. And Will guess injuries and age will keep her out of same.
The positive may be the top pairs skaters will work even harder this year to keep her off the podium and encourage her to move to represent Great Britain.

Vagabond

I remember writing on her Instagram account that I was disappointed with the fact that she paired with Nyman and I think she's been deleting comments. What I am most confused is why did she leave Bruno? Couldn't she just kept on representing Germany? I'm thinking that Bruno didn't want to carry on or perhaps he didn't personally liked Aljona. Man, I just thought she was a changed woman after the incident with Robin and the Igbo dude but I guess not
Welcome to FSU. You can find the answers to your questions by reading this thread from the beginning. :)

soogar

I wept momentarily but after reading the posts about the choice of partner and wondering how US judges would view the quality of the pair together, I don’t see how this will be a positive move for Alijona’s career. Or that any top US pairs are shaking in their boots given it takes the quality of two skaters to win medals on the senior level.
If I were to guess, it is difficult to leave the limelight of standing on the medals podium and Alijona has an identity too closely tied to figure skating to let go of being in the winners circle. And Will guess injuries and age will keep her out of same.
The positive may be the top pairs skaters will work even harder this year to keep her off the podium and encourage her to move to represent Great Britain.
I guess it's kind of premature. The footage of their side by side jumps looked encouraging. I don't know much about the guy's skating, but the few singles videos he has posted of his skating look very promising. He's a good jumper, tall and he has nice style. We keep talking about her as if she has a lot of choice. She might be an Olympic gold medalist but she hasn't competed since 2018. A 36 year old pairs skater with citizenship issues isn't going to be at the top of the list for many male pair skaters. She is great, but those are the facts and it's clear she couldn't find anyone in Germany, and didn't want to make another partner jump through the citizenship hoops to skate for Germany. So she might have a realistic view that she will change countries since she wants to continue, but she's not going to make a guy switch to Germany since she may not be able to make it to the Olympics. At least TJ or whomever she winds up with will be able to find another partner if she can't make it to the next Olympics. I think she's doing the right thing for both herself and her partner. It seems that it is easier to find partner in the United States than Germany- male or female.

CaliSteve

Because Bruno wanted to retire.

Xela M

Aliona and TJ practicing side by side jumps

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Aliona and TJ practicing side by side jumps

I only saw doubles from TJ..??..?? were their triples?

they seem in sync though!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Aljona is currently at Benoit Richaud's camp in Courmayeur, Italy (where she was originally advertised as a guest coach) - she can be seen in this reel/video montage on peakicecamps' account: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQoh3ZNnuev/
TJ and Dalilah both suspended or deleted their Instagram accounts today, Aliona is off in Italy (and actually didn't seem to be part of that camp for a while as her photo had been removed from the ad), and now she's there.

Interesting ;)

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.

hanca

Values her privacy
Would she (or they) have expected some GP assignments? Was that even possible?
There is the rule about returning skaters, isn’t there? But it is possible that she already used that when she started with Massot. How many time can a skater use it?

chachacha

There is the rule about returning skaters, isn’t there? But it is possible that she already used that when she started with Massot. How many time can a skater use it?
I curious to see if the partnership with TJ will last or perhaps they are just keeping everything now private as can be to avoid all the negativity surrounding their new partnership. Either way, I really hope that Aljona explores other partner opportunities if she truly is that passionate about competing. People are more taken back that she would stoop so low to partner with someone along with a coach with so much controversy surrounding them.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Once per partner with as many partners as they qualify; eligibility is based on the last partnership.

To qualify as a returning couple, it would have to have been with Massot, based on 2018 results; 1-6 placement can be in the last 10 years, at least through the last GP Announcement. What she might have been eligible for is as a split couple, but the ISU Announcement has omitted the paragraph for split couple skaters who placed 1-6 with a previous partner since, IIRC, the very first year they introduced it, when the rules were changed and stabilized in year two. So whether qualifying results for those split coup!e would have had to be accomplished in the last two seasons or ten or something different is something the ISU hasn't published, and only that number would shed light on whether she was eligible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information