Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

Here are some statistics for the U.S. that are easy to find and are similar to those for other developed nations.

1 in 3 adult women have been sexually abused or assaulted at some point in their lives.
1 in 4 adults have been sexually abused or assaulted at some point in their lives.
1 in 6 adult men have been sexually abused or assaulted at some point in their lives.
19 in 20 women who report a rape are telling the truth.
4 in 5 women who have been raped do not report the incident to the police.
99 in 100 rapes do not lead to a conviction.

These numbers are probably the same or even more appalling in less developed nations.

In civil suits, the burden of proof is on the plaintiff. TJ Nyman could sue the woman who says he committed rape for libel, but he chooses not to do so. Perhaps he is afraid that neither a judge nor a jury would be believe him.

Last edited:

aliona22

But he's also an American...what are his jumping capabilities? And because of his height Im gonna say.... like a typical USA pair?

Just wondering....

He’s actually a strong jumper from what I’ve seen. A couple different triples and hits them consistently in competition. I don't think jump issues are the reason he's on his third partner in 12 months.

Yuri

This June 11th Russian story from Sport-Express is still the only in-depth article that I have seen on the new partnership and the potential implications on the Olympics or the World Championships. Mostly it analyzes whether the USA now has a pairs team capable of competing with the top three Russian and top two Chinese couples. It also discusses past "come backs" by former Olympic gold medalists in their 30's such as Torvill & Dean.

The English translation of the article title is "Glory to sports heroes! Savchenko, 37, returns to figure skating" with a subtitle of "The Olympic champion will play in pairs for the USA - and this is real heroism."

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
This June 11th Russian story from Sport-Express is still the only in-depth article that I have seen on the new partnership and the potential implications on the Olympics or the World Championships. Mostly it analyzes whether the USA now has a pairs team capable of competing with the top three Russian and top two Chinese couples. It also discusses past "come backs" by former Olympic gold medalists in their 30's such as Torvill & Dean.

The English translation of the article title is "Glory to sports heroes! Savchenko, 37, returns to figure skating" with a subtitle of "The Olympic champion will play in pairs for the USA - and this is real heroism."
Did they mention in the article that Savchenko/Nyman wouldn't be at the next Olympics?

Xela M

Aljona and Nyman work on lifts - posted by TSL.

Dear God - this gets more bizarre by the hour

How does Dave Lease even get this footage?

Why are TJ and Dalilah lecturing Aliona on how to do lifts? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

starrynight

I don't think of any other crime reported by victims that are so often disbelieved. It's a sign of how anti-women society can be (not to say that men don't get raped - I have no idea whether male rape reports are taken more seriously, but it wouldn't surprise me).

Not to drag this thread down a really (more) depressing path, but I do feel like it should be acknowledged that male rape victims do have a heck of at time of it and can face incredible prejudice too - but sometimes for different reasons than women victims.

Gee 2021 skating drama really is not much fun. Makes you long for two Russian ice dancers to be throwing glasses of wine in each others' faces over some silly.

That new practice video is so weird.
I feel like Aljona is completely submissive and that TJ and Dalilah are actually lecturing her on Pairs skating and make her feel like it's her fault that the lifts are not working.

I think all new pairs have teething issues. I recall Volosozhar/Trankov say that for the first month or so, literally nothing was working for them until it clicked. And they became great really quickly. Except we didn't have a live stream of their very first practices.

Can anyone get a subscription to these streams? I imagine that some uber fans of certain skaters would be thrilled to get the opportunity to watch practices.

Last edited:

soogar

But he's also an American...what are his jumping capabilities? And because of his height Im gonna say.... like a typical USA pair?

Just wondering....
He has singles videos out there. He jumps well for a tall man and has a triple axel. i would say that he may have an easier time landing triple jumps than the average pair skater.
Why are TJ and Dalilah lecturing Aliona on how to do lifts? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
I’m not a pairs expert but she looked a little rusty on the lift. I don’t know if she has been able to do high level pairs lifts since the Covid lockdowns.

I do think it is interesting how we all saw the same video yet took different things out of it. I saw HIM hug her for a long time and kiss her- not her hugging him or initiating the kiss yet it turned into her hugging and kissing him.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
TSL have uploaded another video of them working with Benoit Richaud on a program set to "Retrograde" by James Blake. I didn't know the song, but I checked out the lyrics and the creepiness of this entire shitshow has managed to go even more up.

Vagabond

Did they mention in the article that Savchenko/Nyman wouldn't be at the next Olympics?
Internet translation:

But there is a legal point - to get to the Olympics, Savchenko needs American citizenship. Whether she gets it so quickly is a big question. So far, the situation looks like the Ukrainian woman is fighting for the Olympics in theory, but for the World Championship and other tournaments under the auspices of ISU - really.

It would not have taken very long at all for the writer to determine that the U.S. doesn't give elite athletes a shortcut to citizenship and that, in fact, Nyman & Savchenko won't be eligible for the Olympics until 2030, when Savchenko will be forty-six.

I wonder whether Savchenko herself understands this.

Last edited:

Yuri

Eventually, yes--but her Olympic eligibility skating for the USA was a bit of an after thought since the writer concedes the entire 2022 Olympic podium to the Russians and Chinese! The article discusses in theory what they would need to do to get to Beijing and be competitive, but has little about the citizenship challenges. Midway through the article you get the first acknowledgement:

But there is a legal point - to get to the Olympics, Savchenko needs American citizenship. Whether she gets it so quickly is a big question. So far, the situation looks like the Ukrainian woman is fighting for the Olympics in theory, but for the World Championship and other tournaments under the auspices of ISU - really.

So the author appears to realize that ISU competitions are her only truly realistic opportunity to compete, not in Beijing. At press time, her partner was only rumored and not yet confirmed except the confirmation she would be in America:

In addition, the reason for the switch is officially highlighted in the news right now: “There is currently no partner in Germany for the six-time world champion whose heart is still burning with competition. Therefore, she left the place of her training in Oberstdorf, where she trained for a long time, and continued her sports path in America. " According to Spiegel, the new partner will be 21-year-old Tommy-Joe Nyman.

Never knew TJ stood for Tommy-Joe... The article does go on to discuss the scored Savchenko/Nyman likely would need to qualify for the USA team and challenge the top six in Beijing (the auto-translation is a bit wonky in this section). The author implies that it would have easier for her to qualify for the Olympics (or Worlds) if she had found a Canadian partner instead:

Trankov is right: if we talk about sports tasks, the main thing is the selection at the US championship. If we still talk about the Olympics, then Savchenko can "cram" his future teammates - two American couples at the World Championships went after a short program in 6-7th places, which made it possible to win three tickets to the Games-2022. But in the free one they lost the advantage.

And if Savchenko and her partner somehow miraculously get to Beijing, then they can apply for the top six. With the results of the leaders for 225 sixths at the end of the World Cup, the Moore Towers / Marinaro Canadians scored 195.29 points - a feasible milestone. To get into the national team, you would need to score more than 205.29 at the US Championship (about the same, taking into account the home margin), but in eight points for the Catalanga / Johnson pair there are two more. The champions, Knierim / Fraser, seem out of reach at all (228.10). So Savchenko obviously chose not the easiest way.

ETA Vagabond beat me to the Internet translation by around five minutes!

skatingguy

decently
Internet translation:

It would not have taken very long at all for the writer to determine that the U.S. doesn't give elite athletes a shortcut to citizenship and that, in fact, Nyman & Savchenko won't be eligible for the Olympics until 2034, when Savchenko will be forty-six.

I wonder whether Savchenko herself understands this.
Not 2030? Okay. She is the personality type to believe that she can overcome all obstacles - like most high level athletes - so she may have an underlying believe that she can somehow speed up the process.

MsZem

I see the sea
It would not have taken very long at all for the writer to determine that the U.S. doesn't give elite athletes a shortcut to citizenship and that, in fact, Nyman & Savchenko won't be eligible for the Olympics until 2034, when Savchenko will be forty-six.
Savchenko will be 50 in 2034. I didn't realize it takes so long to get US citizenship.

I still don't understand what she's doing and why.

Vagabond

Savchenko will be 50 in 2034. I didn't realize it takes so long to get US citizenship.
Sorry, I meant 2030, not 2034. It takes five years after getting permanent residency, plus time for the application to be processed. 2026 isn't feasible for her, but 2030 is theoretically possible.

soogar

Sorry, I meant 2030, not 2034. It takes five years after getting permanent residency, plus time for the application to be processed. 2026 isn't feasible for her, but 2030 is theoretically possible.
She might not even be thinking about another Olympics. She may just want to compete for a few more years at a World level. She already accomplished an Olympic gold medal and world titles. She's had the past 4 years off from competing and she clearly does not feel fulfilled. She may just want to have more of a challenge while she is still physically capable of skating at a high level. I do think that this deal was probably financially advantageous. She was seeking funding to continue with Bruno. Maybe she is receiving free ice and coaching or doesn't have to pay anything up front. I don't know how far in the future she is thinking, but this actually might be a great experience for her if she wanted to go into coaching. She's had experiences with all kinds of partners and now she's working in the US system. She may actually feel some empathy for what she put the Knierems through when she coached them, because now she is rusty and working with a new partner and new timing and has to deal with people feeling frustration with her.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Can you really tell that from these videos?
Aljona's body language in this clip is like entirely different from the one we are used to from her while practising with Robin or Bruno. She'd never ever allow anyone to lecture her like that, not even Ingo Steuer, which is why they were constantly fighting.

That's an interesting nickname you have. Am I talking to Mr. or Mrs Nyman here?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I get all the opinions around this pairing and I have not inclination to defend any of them but to me it just looks like a video of them learning to do a lift together. Aljona went to them, is skating with a guy who has been training under this coach for a while, it seems to make sense that it's easier to teach Aljona their method versus her teaching the two of them her method. I mean of the three who do we think is the more adaptable?

pairboyparent

TSL have uploaded another video of them working with Benoit Richaud on a program set to "Retrograde" by James Blake. I didn't know the song, but I checked out the lyrics and the creepiness of this entire shitshow has managed to go even more up.
And how can you tell it’s creepy from these videos? Why don’t you wait to see the final product of the program before judging. Seems unfair and malicious.

pairboyparent

Aljona's body language in this clip is like entirely different from the one we are used to from her while practising with Robin or Bruno. She'd never ever allow anyone to lecture her like that, not even Ingo Steuer, which is why they were constantly fighting.

That's an interesting nickname you have. Am I talking to Mr. or Mrs Nyman here?
It’s obvious that you don’t know what you’re talking about only interested in stirring up controversy. I’m neither but if you want to start more rumors...go ahead.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
How do you know thats what’s happening from those videos? Is there audio or are you a body language expert?
There is audio. You can hear at one point TJ say something like it's better for him if she waits til I finish the turn. That's a rough recollection of one viewing. But if it makes you feel better I don't see anything in the lift video that is concerning other than the fact I don't know if Aljona's wrist is up to the task.

But if you are the parent of pair boy in question you might need to thicken your skin if you are going to follow along in here ;)

pairboyparent

He’s actually a strong jumper from what I’ve seen. A couple different triples and hits them consistently in competition. I don't think jump issues are the reason he's on his third partner in 12 months.
If you knew pairs you’d understand sometimes it takes time to find the right partner. What are you implying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information