2024 US Figure Skating Championships

AnnM

Not to speak for another poster, but I know @AnnM went one night the year Nationals were in Nashville, I believe. I recollect she wasn't particularly impressed considering the price tag.

Sunday is the $200 one day price. Friday and Saturday it's $300.

Sadly I'm not making it to Nationals or Worlds, so no live skating comps for me this season. Pesky real life bills took their place.

ETA: No sad emojis, please. I took a wonderful (but expensive) trip to NYC last spring, which easily could have gone toward going to both SKAM and Nationals.

Yes, I went one day in San Jose with a friend who had comped passes. The food and drinks were good, but there really wasn't much interaction with the skaters present and some of the lounge time overlapped with events. My impression was that most of the people there didn't purchase their own ticket, which was understandable because the price point then was too high for what it was. And this year it's higher? USFS continues to make odd decisions that would make for an excellent case study for a Marketing 101 class.

mtnskater

All I want for Christmas is confirmation Hawayek/Baker will be participating.

OMG, I am DECEASED that they want $725 per person to attend the Boitano Lounge on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. :eek: I assume sponsors and USFS VIPs are attending free, so peons are expected to pony up 💰 to help cover the bill. :lol:
Out of my group of friends that bought all-event tickets together last year in San Jose only two decided to do Boitano’s lounge. My friends sprung for the full weekend package, which I think was in the $600+ range. :eek: They did not have any comp passes. For the rest of us it was a hard no! If I paid that much, I’d feel like I would need to drink a lot to get my money’s worth 😅

My two friends participated in the lounge each night before the evenings events got fully underway…or on Zamboni breaks. But they had fun and enjoyed talking to Brian and I think Nancy Kerrigan was there one night. They said the cocktails were good. I don’t go to Nationals to get buzzed and fall asleep during the skating (which would happen to me if I drank very much 😜). I want to be fully present (and not dehydrated). So I think the whole Boitano Lounge concept is a bit nuts. But to each his own. I prefer post event drinks and discussion for sure 👍

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
They should do a pop-up concession stand each day that anyone could go to. I would buy a Boitano specialty cocktail for thirty dollars each day. I know that price may sound crazy but I spent $18 on a large plastic cup of wine at SkAm (I didn’t ask how much when she asked small or large). The cocktails sound fun but I’m an introvert and don’t want to socialize with skaters, so give an option for the cocktail only and raise some $.

AnnM

I would buy a Boitano specialty cocktail for thirty dollars each day.

This is a really great idea and I'd totally participate in something like this! In 2018 they did a one time Memorial Fund cocktail hour fundraiser for $75/ticket, which got you a drink created and made in front of you by Brian Boitano, so you were also guaranteed a bit of one on one chit chat with him (but not so much that would make an introvert uncomfortable). It was also perfectly time in between two events. I thought that was really well done and garnered a lot of participation across a good cross section of fans.

If I paid that much, I’d feel like I would need to drink a lot to get my money’s worth 😅

I agree. Even knowing that a portion of the ticket is intended to be a donation, and as high as concession prices can be, it's still hard to feel like it would be worth it unless you have a large appetite and high tolerance.

Carolla5501

The price point of Boitano's Lounge is too high for me, but I cannot really criticize the concept. USFS is savvy to make use of Boitano's unique dual cachet as not only an Olympic champion, but also an established personality in the food/hospitality world.
My guess would be that the target head count for Boitano's Lounge at Nats would not be too high? So that the experience would have an aura of being special/exclusive/whatever you want to call it. (If everyone is special, then no one is special.)
For fans with deeper pockets than mine, I could see that the combination of Boitano's skating-themed cocktails + fancy appetizers (I believe the recipes for last year's also were personally created or curated by Brian?) + rubbing elbows with Olympians would could be a draw.

It's only "savvy" if you sell it.

And since the fans with deeper pockets probably want to watch the skating this creates a dilemma. Do you skip an event to watch Brian talk to his skating friends. (which is what I heard it was last year. The one person I met who went said that the skaters all stood in a circle talking to each other so she would have had to 'push in" to meet them. She said she did mention it to USFS as the reason she didn't go again... apparently they called and asked why she didn't buy another session), do you pay $300 to get a cocktail or two while you watch from club seats (that might not be as good as your seats?) etc....

Considering the non-stop hawking of this last year I don't think they ever made the "target head count"

ice coverage

FYI for those who like physical activity:
"Path to the Podium is an interactive experience that allows fans of figure skating to experience the athletic feats that a figure skater might have to practice on their Path to the Podium, such as a vertical jump test, and more. The interactive piece will be set up on the main concourse inside Nationwide Arena during the event so that fans can stop in and test their skills." (Blurb from volunteer sign-up site.)​

To play devil's advocate 😈 re Boitano's Lounge:
Without missing any competition time in their own seat elsewhere in the Columbus arena, someone could visit Boitano's Lounge on Friday for something like 1 hr 40 min btwn Men SP and Women FS + 45 min after Women Awards; on Saturday for something like 2 hr 30 min btwn Dance Awards and Pairs FS (unless their heart was set on watching Men's practice) + 30 min after Pairs Awards; on Sunday for something like 3 hrs before Men FS (or 1 hr 30 min if they watched the twenty-minute warm-ups for Men FS).​
Plus Boitano's location in Columbus will be Lexus Lounge, which is billed as having "great views of the ice."​
FWIW, ticket limit for Boitano's in 2024 is 150. (I have no idea what sales have been like this year.)​
FWIW, San Jose Mercury News reported that Boitano's Lounge sold out in 2023. (I did hear Rusty make promo mentions with my own ears. I don't remember them as "nonstop," but maybe that's just me.)​

I'm sorry that some (but not all) reports in this thread have said that skater interaction in B's Lounge in San Jose was underwhelming. I would have hoped that B's Lounge would offer the same advantage as the pre-pandemic FOFS breakfasts -- that multiple skaters who really would mingle would be there.
FWIW, the promo content this year say that current athletes (as well as "legendary alumni") will be at B's Lounge. (I don't remember for sure, but perhaps a difference from last year?)
(Yes, by sheer happenstance/serendipity, I too have had occasional brief no-cost interactions with Brian and others of note when they are just out and about here and there during competition weeks.)

Meanwhile, a droplet of good news for riff-raff like me :lol: is that the U.S. Figure Skating booth on the concourse apparently will return for Nats in Columbus (per promo graphic for Boitano's). The booth was absent from Skate America in Allen.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

To play devil's advocate 😈 re Boitano's Lounge:
Without missing any competition time in their own seat elsewhere in the Columbus arena, someone could visit Boitano's Lounge on Friday for something like 1 hr 40 min btwn Men SP and Women FS + 45 min after Women Awards; on Saturday for something like 2 hr 30 min btwn Dance Awards and Pairs FS (unless their heart was set on watching Men's practice) + 30 min after Pairs Awards; on Sunday for something like 3 hrs before Men FS (or 1 hr 30 min if they watched the twenty-minute warm-ups for Men FS).​
Plus Boitano's location in Columbus will be Lexus Lounge, which is billed as having "great views of the ice."​
FWIW, ticket limit for Boitano's in 2024 is 150. (I have no idea what sales have been like this year.)​
FWIW, San Jose Mercury News reported that Boitano's Lounge sold out in 2023. (I did hear Rusty make promo mentions with my own ears. I don't remember them as "nonstop," but maybe that's just me.)​

I'm sorry that some (but not all) reports in this thread have said that skater interaction in B's Lounge in San Jose was underwhelming. I would have hoped that B's Lounge would offer the same advantage as the pre-pandemic FOFS breakfasts -- that multiple skaters who really would mingle would be there.
FWIW, the promo content this year say that current athletes (as well as "legendary alumni") will be at B's Lounge. (I don't remember for sure, but perhaps a difference from last year?)
(Yes, by sheer happenstance/serendipity, I too have had occasional brief no-cost interactions with Brian and others of note when they are just out and about here and there during competition weeks.)

Meanwhile, a droplet of good news for riff-raff like me :lol: is that the U.S. Figure Skating booth on the concourse apparently will return for Nats in Columbus (per promo graphic for Boitano's). The booth was absent from Skate America in Allen.

Actually this would be more appealing. From what I heard last year the lounge appeared to be closed at the end of each event. So you could not spend time between them or before awards waiting there. To be able to do that would make this more appealing it would seem.

All I know is they called the woman I met trying to get her to buy more lounge visits....didn't sound sold out to me. Plus I heard them pushing it at their booth

I will be watching from Carol's Private Lounge where I will entertain the dog with my commentary :)

DreamSkates

I have had no desire to pay extra money to then miss what I go to Nationals for - on the rare opportunity to attend -to watch skating as closely as I can and to hear those blades flying across the ice.

YukiNieve

I need to visit someone locally.
Can I use Lyft/Uber in Columbus?

And I guess we have not heard anything new about their bag policies?

JeffClair1979

I wanna move to France...
Sorry if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but does anyone know the deal with parking yet? Couldn’t find it on the website either.

mtnskater

I’ve been watching hotels closer to the Nationwide Arena because I’d like to move closer figuring some cancellations will occur. But they all still seem to be full or almost full with much higher rates than they normally charge. I can get a good rate at the Graduate hotel which is about .6 of a mile walk. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? And would the walk be safe?

Makes me think tickets have sold quite well for this event…not like San Jose. But who knows? Hotels may be holding our for the last minute to try and gouge event attendees too.

ice coverage

Sorry if I missed it somewhere in this thread, but does anyone know the deal with parking yet? Couldn’t find it on the website either.

Nationwide Arena page re parking is here:
FWIW, it is possible to prepay for parking on certain days of Nats:
Arena District parking map:

Columbus Sports Commission blog (Jan 6) confirms that official practices in the secondary rink will be open to the public for free. (Secondary rink is OhioHealth Ice Haus, which is attached to Nationwide Arena.)
For both junior and senior practices, the blog even offers suggestions of what/whom to watch for, which would be especially helpful to casual fans (as opposed to FSU superfans). Example:
"Monday January 22, 2:15-2:55 pm Junior Pairs Group B​
Notable teams are Olivia Flores & Luke Wang and Naomi Williams & Lachlan Lewer. Both are strong junior international competitors. Luke also qualified in singles and will be competing in junior men."​
(Although FSU superfans could quibble over who else they wish had been mentioned, I give the blog an A for effort.)
(BTW, for anyone attending Monday practices, there have been non-trivial changes to the times that were on the earliest public version of the color-coded schedule. The current public version reflects the changes.)

Columbus Library is promoting Nats in a variety of ways, including the Main Library's display of memorabilia (some from USFS archives), such as:
Carol Heiss’ dress from the 1960 Olympic games (Ohio native)​
Alysa Liu’s dress from the 2019 Championships (youngest-ever women’s champion)​
Hand-painted ice skates by Columbus artist Gabby Anderson [including the one she painted for Brian Boitano https://www.instagram.com/p/C04o41XNTLe/]​
Historic magazines and much more​
The events below at the Main Library require registration, but are free:
Gracie Gold Author Talk: Friday, January 26 from 1 - 2 p.m.​
Nancy Kerrigan Book Reading: Saturday, January 27 from 11:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.​
https://www.columbussports.org/skate/visiting-columbus/thingstodo/read-and-skate/
[ETA as follow-up to @peibeck's thought below:​
Friday competition starts at 3:15 pm with Senior Men's FS.
Saturday competition starts at 1:50 pm with Senior FD.
If Google is reliable, the Main Library apparently is a five-minute car ride of 1.3 miles away from Nationwide Arena? But if anyone really signs up for the Gold or Kerrigan library event, pls check the transportation time for yourself.]​

If anyone has been waiting to buy Nats tix:
"New tickets just got added for every session of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships at Nationwide Arena."
https://www.facebook.com/CbusSports...B1apfrXG2cWQZ323ze96swrsbSf7KTTxHv8mfj5ximatl (Jan 5)​

Last edited:

Cayuse

Nationwide Arena page re parking is here:
FWIW, it is possible to prepay for parking on certain days of Nats:
Arena District parking map:

Columbus Sports Commission blog (Jan 6) confirms that official practices in the secondary rink will be open to the public for free. (Secondary rink is OhioHealth Ice Haus, which is attached to Nationwide Arena.)
For both junior and senior practices, the blog even offers suggestions of what/whom to watch for, which would be especially helpful to casual fans (as opposed to FSU superfans). Example:
"Monday January 22, 2:15-2:55 pm Junior Pairs Group B​
Notable teams are Olivia Flores & Luke Wang and Naomi Williams & Lachlan Lewer. Both are strong junior international competitors. Luke also qualified in singles and will be competing in junior men."​
(Although FSU superfans could quibble over who else they wish had been mentioned, I give the blog an A for effort.)
(BTW, for anyone attending Monday practices, there have been non-trivial changes to the times that were on the earliest public version of the color-coded schedule. The current public version reflects the changes.)

Columbus Library is promoting Nats in a variety of ways, including the Main Library's display of memorabilia (some from USFS archives), such as:
Carol Heiss’ dress from the 1960 Olympic games (Ohio native)​
Alysa Liu’s dress from the 2019 Championships (youngest-ever women’s champion)​
Hand-painted ice skates by Columbus artist Gabby Anderson [including the one she painted for Brian Boitano https://www.instagram.com/p/C04o41XNTLe/]​
Historic magazines and much more​
The events below at the Main Library require registration, but are free:
Gracie Gold Author Talk: Friday, January 26 from 1 - 2 p.m.​
Nancy Kerrigan Book Reading: Saturday, January 27 from 11:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.​
https://www.columbussports.org/skate/visiting-columbus/thingstodo/read-and-skate/
[ETA as follow-up to @peibeck's thought below:​
Friday competition starts at 3:15 pm with Senior Men's FS.​
Saturday competition starts at 1:50 pm with Senior FD.​
If Google is reliable, the Main Library apparently is a five-minute car ride of 1.3 miles away from Nationwide Arena? But if anyone really signs up for the Gold or Kerrigan library event, pls check the transportation time for yourself.]​

If anyone has been waiting to buy Nats tix:
"New tickets just got added for every session of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships at Nationwide Arena."​
What a wonderful set of events and ice skating related exhibits and books the Columbus Library has organized in honor of the National Championships! I hope to find the time to visit this library and maybe try out the "sock skating rink". What a fun idea for kids of all ages!

acraven

I checked the arena website to be sure there was no update to the bag policy, and of course there isn't. But as a result, I learned they prohibit food and beverages but only glass and heavy-plastic bottles, so an empty single-use bottle should be OK.

The arena is cashless, so be sure you have a working credit card (or debit card). I wonder whether that policy will apply at the USFS merchandise booth. I think I've always paid cash for my program to speed things up. This seems like it could be an annoyance for skating families with all-event tickets if youngish children go by themselves to concession stands.

JeffClair1979

I wanna move to France...
Whelp it looks like I dawdled too long to buy parking because I can’t find a skating day where the map isn’t showing everything sold out. ☹️ does anyone know if there will be more parking the day of? I would assume there will be, but if I don’t make a plan beforehand something will inevitably implode the day of.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I checked the arena website to be sure there was no update to the bag policy, and of course there isn't. But as a result, I learned they prohibit food and beverages but only glass and heavy-plastic bottles, so an empty single-use bottle should be OK.

The arena is cashless, so be sure you have a working credit card (or debit card). I wonder whether that policy will apply at the USFS merchandise booth. I think I've always paid cash for my program to speed things up. This seems like it could be an annoyance for skating families with all-event tickets if youngish children go by themselves to concession stands.
I'm not trying to judge anyone's parenting but please think twice about letting your children walk around in a large arena alone. A 15 year old girl was drugged and sold into sex trafficking from an arena in Dallas. I'm sorry to say the days are gone when you gave a child $10 to go to concessions. After my mom passed away, my father used to work at various arenas at night and he would just buy me a ticket and sit me in the stands while he worked for 4 hours. I don't think anything ever crossed his mind that something could happen in public like that. Children getting sexually abused in bathrooms at malls, movie theaters... the list can just go on and on. :(

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
I'm not trying to judge anyone's parenting but please think twice about letting your children walk around in a large arena alone. A 15 year old girl was drugged and sold into sex trafficking from an arena in Dallas. I'm sorry to say the days are gone when you gave a child $10 to go to concessions. After my mom passed away, my father used to work at various arenas at night and he would just buy me a ticket and sit me in the stands while he worked for 4 hours. I don't think anything ever crossed his mind that something could happen in public like that. Children getting sexually abused in bathrooms at malls, movie theaters... the list can just go on and on. :(

That's a tragic situation, but these things have always happened and they used to happen a lot more than they do now. We just hear about them a lot more often because they make good news stories.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
That's a tragic situation, but these things have always happened and they used to happen a lot more than they do now. We just hear about them a lot more often because they make good news stories.
Of course these things always happened and with this knowledge from the exposure we can make better choices, not just reading good news stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information