2024 US Figure Skating Championships

YukiNieve

Great news. Called the arena and spoke with someone named Cambria who was quite helpful! Managed to get 2 weekend packages in the ADA section of section 104– just behind the judges, I think. Looking forward to meeting some of you! Apparently the ADA seats are not available thru TicketMaster. Now to find a hotel!
I've been trying to talk to her and always got the voicemail messages. When did you call her?

kATYDID411

I keep seeing on the site that the official hotel will be having a block of rooms for fans coming soon. Nothing has been released! I called USFSA and they told me that they weren’t sure about that. Does anyone know when the official rooms at the hotel will be released for fans?

Official website is up!

ice coverage

Hmmm ... seems that 2024 Nats will have a few slots available for novice pairs and novice dance couples to compete.

"Novice Pairs
Maximum of 4 available spots at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships
- The top four total combined novice scores from the nation in the U.S. Pairs Final
Novice Ice Dance
Maximum of 5 available spots at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships
- The top five total combined novice scores from the nation in the U.S. Ice Dance Final"

Excerpt above is from "2024 Singles, Pairs and Ice Dance Qualifying Season -- Athlete Bye & Advancement Criteria."
(NQS Handbook, which is on USFS public site, has a link.)
At the top of the bye/advancement document, it says (emphasis in original), "All information is subject to change based on current information and feasibility of live international competitions."

Junior Pairs will have a maximum of 8 available spots at 2024 Nats.
Junior Dancers will have a maximum of 10 available spots.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Good opportunity for the Novice teams, but in the case of dance, it's going to be challenging. In addition to lengthening their FD, they'll need to put together an RD, in about 2 months.

Really wish they would just bring back Novice events at Nats.

I cannot tell for sure, but I think(?) the idea is for Nats to have one group of novice pairs and one group of novice dance -- as categories that are separate from junior pairs and junior dance.

In other words, a different situation from some of the top novice singles skaters competing at Nats in the categories for junior men and junior women. But again, I cannot say for sure.

ice coverage

"Update"/full disclosure: In USFS Rulebook for 2023-24, I don't see any mention that Novice competitors in Pairs or Ice Dance would be able to qualify for 2024 Nats. No sign of the language that is in the USFS bye/advancement document for 2024 Nats, so not clear to me what the reality is and/or will be. 🤷‍♀️

"2500 Qualifying for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships" starts on p. 128 of the new rulebook, which now is available online.
p. 129 has Rule 2502 for Pairs and Rule 2503 for Ice Dance.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
The USFS Hotel is the Hilton near the arena, which they have mostly locked up with the group. I understand they may release unused space in Sept/Oct, but was told they may end up needing the entire block.
Does that block include the fan block that’s mentioned on the official website? That hotel is humongous. Doesn’t seem like they’d need the whole thing for just skaters/officials/media.

Gusmom

Banned Member
The USFS Hotel is the Hilton near the arena, which they have mostly locked up with the group. I understand they may release unused space in Sept/Oct, but was told they may end up needing the entire block.
I was afraid of that. We have points and i was hoping to stay there to limit driving/parking.

NDIrishO3

Do you know if arenas typically take down the hockey glass for figure skating? I have never been to a live competition and I am incredibly excited (I live in Columbus)! I just bought the weekend package and am in 102 Row G, but I think Row G might be right in line with the top edge of the glass which may make for kind of a weird view. Moving down to a lower row made it a bit more expensive than I wanted to spend though so I decided to just go with it and hope for the best. If they don't actually put up the glass, that would be great!

Debbie S

Do you know if arenas typically take down the hockey glass for figure skating? I have never been to a live competition and I am incredibly excited (I live in Columbus)! I just bought the weekend package and am in 102 Row G, but I think Row G might be right in line with the top edge of the glass which may make for kind of a weird view. Moving down to a lower row made it a bit more expensive than I wanted to spend though so I decided to just go with it and hope for the best. If they don't actually put up the glass, that would be great!
There is no hockey glass at (major) skating comps. :)

ice coverage

Not for the Hilton, but I noticed today that information on Fan Hotel Room Blocks for five other hotels now appears here:

FWIW: "Please check back frequently as additional hotels may be added!"

Sonesta, Hyatt Regency, Drury, and Canopy, all of which are listed as approx. 0.2-0.3 miles from Nationwide Arena, have blocks as of now.
Home2 Suites, listed as approx. 1.5 miles from Nationwide Arena, too.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
"Update"/full disclosure: In USFS Rulebook for 2023-24, I don't see any mention that Novice competitors in Pairs or Ice Dance would be able to qualify for 2024 Nats. No sign of the language that is in the USFS bye/advancement document for 2024 Nats, so not clear to me what the reality is and/or will be. 🤷‍♀️

"2500 Qualifying for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships" starts on p. 128 of the new rulebook, which now is available online.
p. 129 has Rule 2502 for Pairs and Rule 2503 for Ice Dance.

Well, it also looks like they copy/pasted the language from the Junior Pairs into the Junior Ice Dance section there too since it states that 12 teams qualify from the US Ice Dance Final for Nationals - shouldn't it be 15?

Also - do we have the list of which international assignments qualify for byes? In years past it's been at least 3 GP, JGP, Challengers and GPF/JGPF qualify but with the addition of the Kings Cup Int'l, Tayside Trophy, NRW Trophy and Santa Claus Cup on the Int'l Assignments page, I'm wondering if assignment to those events also counts toward the 3 int'l assignments criteria.

Sylvia

TBD
Also - do we have the list of which international assignments qualify for byes? In years past it's been at least 3 GP, JGP, Challengers and GPF/JGPF qualify but with the addition of the Kings Cup Int'l, Tayside Trophy, NRW Trophy and Santa Claus Cup on the Int'l Assignments page, I'm wondering if assignment to those events also counts toward the 3 int'l assignments criteria.
Since this thread is primarily for trip planning and the logistics of attending 2024 Nationals in Columbus, I've replied to Karen in this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ls-dates-locations.110571/page-2#post-6464568

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Southwest Airlines is having a flight sale. My flight to Columbus went down $90.44. So now I have a travel credit for my next skating trip.😍
I just changed from Delta to SW for my flight to Columbus since the price dropped and I had enough credits to pay for all of it! Only downside is I have to wake up at 4am for the flight. :yawn: But I'm connecting through Nashville now instead of Atlanta which is a plus because I hate ATL with a passion.

ice coverage

* Times are subject to change. * All times ET.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 23​

• 12:50 p.m. – Junior Pairs Short Program
  • 2:15 p.m. – Junior Men Short Program
  • 6:25 p.m. – Junior Rhythm Dance

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 24​

• 8:30 a.m. – Junior Women Short Program
  • 11:15 a.m. – Junior Men Free Skate
  • 3:25 p.m. – Junior Pairs Free Skate
  • 6:20 p.m. – Junior Free Dance

THURSDAY, JANUARY 25​

• 10:40 a.m. – Junior Women Free Skate
  • 2 p.m. – Championship Pairs Short Program
  • 4:30 p.m. – Championship Rhythm Dance
  • 7:15 p.m. – Championship Women Short Program

FRIDAY, JANUARY 26​

• 3:15 p.m. – Championship Men Short Program
  • 7:45 p.m. – Championship Women Free Skate

SATURDAY, JANUARY 27​

• 1:45 p.m. – Championship Free Dance
  • 7:35 p.m. – Championship Pairs Free Skate

SUNDAY, JANUARY 28​

• 2:50 p.m. – Championship Men Free Skate
  • 7:30 p.m. – Prevagen Skating Spectacular
https://www.columbussports.org/skate/schedule/

(Sorry if I am the last to notice that starting times [subject to change] have been published.)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I am so appreciative of them scheduling the junior dance events earlier than 8pm. They’ve been running so late in recent years.
Pfffft - this means I'll need to take the entire day off if I want to watch the junior events. I might have to just take Thursday & Friday off. We'll see what I want to do closer to the event. If it's a WFH for me, then I might just half-pay attention to the jr events on Tue & Wed.

Carolla5501

Flash sale on tickets just saw this in my FB feed

Time's running out as the countdown to the 2024 Prevagen U.S. Figure Skating Championships has begun! Secure your seats with our EXCLUSIVE Flash Sale before it's too late!

Code STAR23

(Does this mean sales are pathetic?)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Flash sale on tickets just saw this in my FB feed

Time's running out as the countdown to the 2024 Prevagen U.S. Figure Skating Championships has begun! Secure your seats with our EXCLUSIVE Flash Sale before it's too late!

Code STAR23

(Does this mean sales are pathetic?)
It’s only for certain individual event seats in certain tiers. Ticket sales don’t look to be great on the event map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information