2023 French Nationals - December 9-14 - Vaujany

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Hubert's 1998 Olympic free skate was where she really did give up and put zero effort into the program. At least in 1992 she kept fighting to the end.

I've brought this example into many threads over the years, but Meagan Duhamel also had a real meltdown across both the ladies' and pairs free programs at Canadian Nationals in 2005. They were the same day and she was in medal contention in both disciplines. She fell 5 times in her own free skate, and then she and Ryan Arnold (after landing SBS 3Lz in the short) missed almost everything in the free skate. Wipeout on her jumps, the throw jumps, a late lift came down and they skated around for a bit, and then they fell on the final death spiral.

Milan

That was tough to watch (Kevin).

Total conjecture of course, but I think the weight of expectation that comes with Ravel's Bolero might be a bit too much for Kevin at this point. Perhaps a structure musically/program-wise that allows him to pace himself better or re-group when things don't go so well is a better strategy.

Last edited:

Carina

It's weird because usually Kevin manages to bounce back after one bad performance, and he did very well in his SP yesterday. He's got 3 weeks to figure it out before Euros - France has 3 men there so I'd be surprised if he isn't named to the team.
Maybe jetlaged?

swissskate

Kevin‘s words in the Kiss & Cry were :fragile:
Personally I don’t like him mentioning Adam when he has a meltdown, Kevin is a sportsman after all, what matters is not the failures he’s had but the way one reacts and overcomes. I’m gently sick of his „cry baby“ attitude, I can understand it’s frustrating to fail like that but still, there are worse things happening in the world…
Sorry guys, rant over! :slinkaway

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Kevin has always been a headcase. There's a reason he was on the Team Trainwreck years ago as a new senior. It's just who he is and always has been with different coaches, different schedules, before Adam came along....We didn't nickname him Cave in for nothing. Kevin is an entertainer. He is not a competitor and never has been.

Last edited:

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Kevin‘s words in the Kiss & Cry were :fragile:
Personally I don’t like him mentioning Adam when he has a meltdown, Kevin is a sportsman after all, what matters is not the failures he’s had but the way one reacts and overcomes. I’m gently sick of his „cry baby“ attitude, I can understand it’s frustrating to fail like that but still, there are worse things happening in the world…
Sorry guys, rant over! :slinkaway
What did he say?

skateboy

He looked lost. That was a very bizarre performance. Hope he is okay in real life not just the sport.
He gave up after the first fall and he made the choice to give up. I don't feel sorry for Kevin at all.

swissskate

What did he say?
He’s first saying he did „hara-kiri himself“, he’s been „self beating himself“ during the programm.
When both women sitting with him in the K&C tell him they think he needs to release the pressure, he’s clearly fighting tears saying it’s hard every single day.
They ask him „the training? The will to succeed?“, he answers „the every day life“. He’s saying he has the impression he’s completely missing out on his career.
Both women then try to persuade him that he’s had a fantastic career so far, that he’s had an influence on others and that others are copying his movements.
He then says that it’s tough to realise that things are within reach but that he’s still failing to catch these and that in the meantime Adam has arrived and that this has kicked his ass (he literally says „shaken the coconut tree“)
Then the marks get shown on the screen.

ks1227

The Aymoz disaster seems unique in that it had ALL of:
  • Multiple pops, with hardly anything even attempted (just 3T and 3Lo, plus the 3A<<) +
  • Multiple falls, including on a relatively easy element and a spin +
  • Program stopped +
  • No obvious explanation (nerves, equipment failure, illness)

I think it was legitimately worse than Laetitia Hubert's 1992 Olympic free skate, which is still probably the worst overall skate I've seen.
No question it was worse that Laetitia Hubert in 92! She had four falls, yes, and the performance has become notorious, but she legitimately kept trying until the end. Aymoz just seemed to give up. (Another comparison might be Hubert's long program in Nagano 98, where she also mostly seemed to give up, but then again she didn't actually fall much that time around.)

I like Kevin a lot (yes I know he has his critics), so I hope he can pull things together.

Evgeniafan

No question it was worse that Laetitia Hubert in 92! She had four falls, yes, and the performance has become notorious, but she legitimately kept trying until the end. Aymoz just seemed to give up. (Another comparison might be Hubert's long program in Nagano 98, where she also mostly seemed to give up, but then again she didn't actually fall much that time around.)

I like Kevin a lot (yes I know he has his critics), so I hope he can pull things together.
I love Kevin, he's one of my favorites. And I hope he can rebound. But even if I don't like someone, I don't kick them when they are down.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I love happy Kevin, but can’t watch when he’s in the throes of whatever is troubling him. At this point, I’m almost hoping that he has something physical to focus on.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Kevin might need a nice long break and rethink, after that performance.
If he isn’t talking to someone professionally he needs to asap imo. To me this was something like watching Osaka or Biles struggle mentally. Having a coach that is always teetering on the edge of every spin and jump cannot create a stable environment either. People are always joking and sometimes enjoying Fontana and her reactions but I’m just always yikes. She wasn't here, do we know why?

Evgeniafan

If he isn’t talking to someone professionally he needs to asap imo. To me this was something like watching Osaka or Biles struggle mentally. Having a coach that is always teetering on the edge of every spin and jump cannot create a stable environment either. People are always joking and sometimes enjoying Fontana and her reactions but I’m just always yikes. She wasn't here, do we know why?
His secondary coach was there. Francoisse Bonnard. She is his long time coach from Grenoble. He trains at least half the year there. She's very calm. She coaches other skaters and Kevin has done choreography for a few of them. Usually when she is there, he is more calm. I really think jetlag hit him hard. I think its okay to train in Florida but Sylvia does not help his nerves. He needs Misha Ge. Misha is zenlike calm.

Nmsis

Jr Nats are in Nice next week-end.
There is a probability they will be broadcasted on the FFSG account on Youtube.
Some of the videos always disapear after a day or a few hours unfortunatly.

Result page

Entries
Girls
1Ines BELOTANGLE
FRA
2Samsha BENARABCOURB
FRA
3Loan BUI van FOUCHECOMPI
FRA
4Eloane CAPEAUMONTNICE
FRA
5Ninon DAPOIGNYGRENO