2023 Canadian National Championships will be in Oshawa, ON - Jan. 9-15, 2023

shutterbug

A word of warning for those looking for accommodation - I understand that due to the inclusion of syncho in the event the # of hotel rooms reserved in advance by Skate Canada has increased exponentially. They have reserved all "group space" in hotels between Oshawa & Pickering.
Very glad I booked as soon as the location was announced! :eek:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Yeah i think I will do 4CC instead, awful the GTA traffic, Mississauga is bad enough but Oshawa will be a nightmare coming from the West

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express a couple of weeks after they announced the location. Very glad I did that now! It's also close enough to the arena that I shouldn't need to worry about parking.

shutterbug

I booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express a couple of weeks after they announced the location. Very glad I did that now! It's also close enough to the arena that I shouldn't need to worry about parking.
I just took a quick look at their current listings. They do seem to have some standard rooms left, but the rate is $349.00 a night. :yikes:

Aaron MB Fan

All booked for Canadian Nationals! @fan and I will be there :) Got front row seats again! Those of us close to the GTA are truly lucky having the chance to go see Skate Canada and Canadian Nationals.

With gas prices, unpredictable winter weather and GTA traffic, going to go the hotel route and make a nice weekend out of it!

shutterbug

Heads up for anyone expecting their tickets in the mail - mine arrived on Friday (in MB). Here is the latest event schedule as of Dec. 12th: https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/2023-CTNSC-Block-Schedule.Updated.pdf

Also, I'm looking to pre-arrange a taxi/sedan at Pearson Airport for the trip to Oshawa. Does anyone from the GTA area have recommendations for companies offering this service? I pre-arranged a sedan to get to Kitchener for SCI in 2009, but can't recall the name of the company. Thanks in advance!

DE93

Heads up for anyone expecting their tickets in the mail - mine arrived on Friday (in MB). Here is the latest event schedule as of Dec. 12th: https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/2023-CTNSC-Block-Schedule.Updated.pdf

Also, I'm looking to pre-arrange a taxi/sedan at Pearson Airport for the trip to Oshawa. Does anyone from the GTA area have recommendations for companies offering this service? I pre-arranged a sedan to get to Kitchener for SCI in 2009, but can't recall the name of the company. Thanks in advance!
Any of the "limos" (sedans lol) in the limo area of the airport usually have a flat rate around $110 (Pearson to Oshawa), from what I understand. I can't remember the name of the driver I usually ride with but if I find his card, I'll certainly PM you! You could also take the UP Express to Union Station and then take the Go Train or the Via to Oshawa station for significantly cheaper (though slightly less time efficient, I'm sure).

Sylvia

TBD
Dec. 7, 2022 press release (posting the link here rather than in the Canadian National Championships 2023 subforum in Kiss & Cry where the play-by-play threads will be, starting tomorrow for the Juniors!):
Skate Canada is excited to announce that Olympians and three-time ice dance World medallists Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje will be making their first appearance as Event Ambassadors at the 2023 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships, taking place from January 9-15, 2023 at the Tribute Communities Centre in Oshawa, Ontario.
Two-time Canadian champion, Nam Nguyen, will also be on-site in Oshawa serving as In-Venue Host. After retiring earlier this summer, Nguyen will bring his expertise to the rink by interacting with athletes and fans alike during competition days.
Weaver and Poje’s role will see them promote the event and lend their personalities to public appearances, media interviews and in-venue activities. They will also be interacting with athletes and fans throughout the event.
Nam was a recent guest on the "This Week in Skating" podcast to preview Nationals and chatted enthusiastically on many topics (Jan. 8th episode): https://www.thisweekinskating.com/episodes/

Last edited:

Winnipeg

I wonder why SC combined synchro with the non-synchro events. It really will make it hard for people to find rooms and hopefully there is a lot to do near the rink so those not wanting to watch the synchro event can leave during that part of the competition.

4rkidz

I wonder why SC combined synchro with the non-synchro events. It really will make it hard for people to find rooms and hopefully there is a lot to do near the rink so those not wanting to watch the synchro event can leave during that part of the competition.
It will save a lot of money for Skate Canada. Might also help promote both sports?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't really know where to put this, but does anyone know what Scott Moir said about Charlie White that he is now publicly apologizing on Instagram? It's in his story, and mentions something about not wanting to overshadow US Nationals nor trash Tanith/Charlie/Greg's camp.

ETA, I guess it's this, with one very small mention of Charlie:

greenapple

I don't really know where to put this, but does anyone know what Scott Moir said about Charlie White that he is now publicly apologizing on Instagram? It's in his story, and mentions something about not wanting to overshadow US Nationals nor trash Tanith/Charlie/Greg's camp.
Here is the article.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't really know where to put this, but does anyone know what Scott Moir said about Charlie White that he is now publicly apologizing on Instagram?
He tweeted it too - I posted about this in the Virtue/Moir fan thread earlier today.

Tinycities

The article was edited, there was a line in there about kicking Charlie’s ass at US Championships, in regards to CPom beating G/P. It was very obviously a joke, but maybe someone thought it wasn’t obvious enough, so it was removed. Scott even joked to the reporter to definitely put it in the article. I saw the article when Christina first storied it this morning before it was edited.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Scott originally quipped that he wanted to kick Charlie's ass at U.S. Nats. When he apologized on Twitter for saying it, he must have asked the author of the article to delete it as well.

chantilly

I have no issue with that remark. I honestly don’t get why it was removed.
It seems like something two friends and rivals would say to each other in a directly competitive situation.
I also think it’s kinda funny.
Weird he had to or thought he had to apologize.

4rkidz

I have no issue with that remark. I honestly don’t get why it was removed.
It seems like something two friends and rivals would say to each other in a directly competitive situation.
I also think it’s kinda funny.
Weird he had to or thought he had to apologize.
kind of a shame really, I'm guessing someone said something to him so he removed it. Too bad.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I disagree I'm so looking forward to attending the entire event and im especially excited for Friday where I'll get a taste of everything 🤩
There were some interesting comments on the live stream today - including the appreciation the synchro skaters expressed about having the opportunity to see the other disciplines both training and competing. There was appreciation for the increased crowd size for the Jr Synchro SP and also about the enthusiasm of the fans. Kaetlyn Osmond was very enthusiastic about seeing the synchro competition (a first for her) and talked about how she joined in enthusiastically with the fans and she pledged to be there tomorrow too :)

Based on the comments from Ted Barton and Kaitlyn Weaver this evening, the rationale behind the move seems to be to have the whole Skate Canada "family" competing at a single national championship (at the Jr and Sr level, at least), probably part of their "inclusion" initiatives.

4rkidz

There were some interesting comments on the live stream today - including the appreciation the synchro skaters expressed about having the opportunity to see the other disciplines both training and competing. There was appreciation for the increased crowd size for the Jr Synchro SP and also about the enthusiasm of the fans. Kaetlyn Osmond was very enthusiastic about seeing the synchro competition (a first for her) and talked about how she joined in enthusiastically with the fans and she pledged to be there tomorrow too :)

Based on the comments from Ted Barton and Kaitlyn Weaver this evening, the rationale behind the move seems to be to have the whole Skate Canada "family" competing at a single national championship (at the Jr and Sr level, at least), probably part of their "inclusion" initiatives.
I think its a great idea personally combining them. The synchro fans bring more energy too.

4rkidz

Could not agree more! Long overdue! I really enjoyed every program and the enthusiasm of the skaters and the fans made for a very fun evening.
I wish I could have volunteered this week, I did this year for world synchro and Skate Canada. This would have combined both! Hopefully next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information