2023 Canadian National Championships will be in Oshawa, ON - Jan. 9-15, 2023

lexeoe

they finally landed it. i remember them bidding for 2015 which went to kingston.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Oh my. This could work but it will have to be scheduled the right way. When there was Adult Nationals in Canada, it included adult synchro, but the synchro events and the other events alternated throughout the day in the same rink, and it was a logistical nightmare. Also synchro judges sit on a higher platform than judges at other events (so they can see the teams' patterns and moves). It doesn't work to have synchro judges and non-synchro judges using the same seating.

Long story short, if the synchro events have a separate ice surface of their own, or if they're scheduled on their own day(s) and the arena is configured appropriately, this will be great. I really hope that's what SC is planning.

Last edited:

thumbyskates

Oh my. This could work but it will have to be scheduled the right way. When there was Adult Nationals in Canada, it included adult synchro, but the synchro events and the other events alternated throughout the day in the same rink, and it was a logistical nightmare. Also synchro judges sit on a higher platform than judges at other events (so they can see the teams' patterns and moves). It doesn't work to have synchro judges and non-synchro judges using the same seating.

Long story short, if the synchro events have a separate ice surface of their own, or if they're scheduled on their own day(s) and the arena is configured appropriately, this will be great. I really hope that's what SC is planning.
It is no longer true that synchronized judges sit higher at Nationals than SPD judges. They sit at the same height optimally (though it varies usually due to rink logistics, but it's preferable to sit at the normal height these days).

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Damn, I can make day trips out!

...will it be worth current gas prices? I'll have to consider...

shutterbug

I'll probably have to splurge on a hotel for this one though - it's a bit far to drive back and forth from KW every day. If anyone has any hotel suggestions, I'm all ears! :)
Never having been to Oshawa before I have no idea if this is a good suggestion or not :lol:, but since it looks like the parking options at the arena are pretty limited, I decided to go with a hotel within walking distance. There are two, a La Quinta that’s a 2 minute walk away, and a Holiday Inn, that’s a 7 minute walk. Made reservations at both, will check the updated reviews after a post crud summer season and make a decision closer to the event.

Two challenges this year: tentatively I think Winnipeg and Regina.
I have heard Winnipeg as well, but nothing about 2 challenges (?).

barbarafan

Never having been to Oshawa before I have no idea if this is a good suggestion or not :lol:, but since it looks like the parking options at the arena are pretty limited, I decided to go with a hotel within walking distance. There are two, a La Quinta that’s a 2 minute walk away, and a Holiday Inn, that’s a 7 minute walk. Made reservations at both, will check the updated reviews after a post crud summer season and make a decision closer to the event.

I have heard Winnipeg as well, but nothing about 2 challenges (?).
Too bad it is not Montreal

doritos

My sources tell me that the parking at the rink in Oshawa is indeed very limited, unless they develop some sort of sub-lot somewhere.

They have also told me the following:
Junior and Senior Challenge is the first weekend of December in Winnipeg
Novice and Pre-Novice Challenge is the last weekend of January in Regina
Novice Nationals in Calgary the week before Jr Worlds in the same facility (Winsport)

DE93

My sources tell me that the parking at the rink in Oshawa is indeed very limited, unless they develop some sort of sub-lot somewhere.

Novice and Pre-Novice Challenge is the last weekend of January in Regina
Novice Nationals in Calgary the week before Jr Worlds in the same facility (Winsport)
Guess I should get a new winter coat 🤣

shutterbug

Not yet formally announced by Skate Canada, but Skate Manitoba's June 7/22 newsletter puts out a call for volunteers at Jr/Sr Challenge: https://mailchi.mp/a7a262c1f05c/lea...on-available-at-clubs-across-manitoba-5623283

Skate Canada Junior/Senior Challenge will be coming to Manitoba this season! Manitoba has not been the site of a Skate Canada National Event since 2001 when Nationals were here!

This exciting competition will bring Junior and Senior competitors from across Canada, in Singles, Pairs and Dance. Please note that Synchro is not part of Challenge, we apologize for the error in information last week!

This large undertaking is not possible without amazing volunteers and we will be seeking persons for all sorts of positions, including lead roles. More information will be coming out in the near future! Mark it in your calendar, November 30th to December 3rd, and plan to get involved and be part of an amazing volunteer experience!

DE93

Sylvia

TBD
Today Skate Canada announced that "all-event tickets for the 2023 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships will be available for pre-sale on August 29, 2022, at 10:00 AM ET, and on sale to the public on September 1, 2022, at 10:00 AM ET."

shutterbug

Today Skate Canada announced that "all-event tickets for the 2023 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships will be available for pre-sale on August 29, 2022, at 10:00 AM ET, and on sale to the public on September 1, 2022, at 10:00 AM ET."
Further to this, the on sale date notification e-mail I received from Skate Canada this morning did not include a pre-sale code. I'll likely send them an e-mail tomorrow to inquiry further.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
For anyone who has attended the Novice/Junior events in the past - were those included in the all-event ticket, or were there separate tickets to purchase?

I've only ever attended the Senior events in the past, but since I'm making an actual "trip" out of this one and staying in Oshawa for a few days, I'd like to watch some of the Novice/Juniors if I can.

shutterbug

For anyone who has attended the Novice/Junior events in the past - were those included in the all-event ticket, or were there separate tickets to purchase?

I've only ever attended the Senior events in the past, but since I'm making an actual "trip" out of this one and staying in Oshawa for a few days, I'd like to watch some of the Novice/Juniors if I can.
Yes they were included, but were general admission.

Another ticket question - has anyone sat behind the judges at a Canadian event in the last few years pre-pandemic? Just curious as to how obstructed the view is.

danafan

Canadian ladies über

Yes all event ticket should include juniors but remember, novices are having a separate championship and will not be competing in Oshawa. Junior and seniors only.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Yes all event ticket should include juniors but remember, novices are having a separate championship and will not be competing in Oshawa. Junior and seniors only.
And this year the Junior and Senior Synchro championships will happen along with the regular figure skating championships.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
Another ticket question - has anyone sat behind the judges at a Canadian event in the last few years pre-pandemic? Just curious as to how obstructed the view is.
I would say that my seat at Skate Canada in Laval was "behind-ish"; not directly behind, but a few rows back and off to the side a bit.

The obstruction wasn't terrible, but it was enough that I probably wouldn't sit there again.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Wouldn't that depend on which arena it's being held in, and how the seating in the arena is configured? Not all arenas have the same seating layout.

shutterbug

If anyone is looking to purchase tickets in the pre-sale, the password provided by Skate Canada is incorrect :rolleyes: - it's NATIONALS23, not NATIONALS2023.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
A word of warning for those looking for accommodation - I understand that due to the inclusion of syncho in the event the # of hotel rooms reserved in advance by Skate Canada has increased exponentially. They have reserved all "group space" in hotels between Oshawa & Pickering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information