2022-23 Pairs General Discussion - You Get a GP! You Get a GP! All of You Get a GP!

Sylvia

TBD
Laurin/Ethier have been competing together for a while, so not a newly formed or released team for @Sylvia's list (though I do think they have a good chance of getting one of the SC TBD spots).
Since you posted, Laurin/Ethier now have 2 GP assignments - Skate America & Skate Canada Int'l! Also, Plazas/Fernandez officially have the SkAm host spot :) - Grand Prix Pairs assignments as of Sept. 21: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-3/entries-7/29099-entries-pairs-2022-23/file
Ukraine's Sofiia Holichenko/Artem Darenskyi now have GP in Finland instead of Skate America (reportedly could not get visas for USA).

Both Ryuichi Kihara and Riku Miura tweeted this clip of their throw 3Lo on Sept. 22rd at the Oakville, Ontario rink (her caption - "I did 3 throws for the first time in 2 months. "It's not perfect, but I was very happy to be able to jump in one shot!"): https://twitter.com/miurariku1217/status/1573336704219746304

ETA link to the 2022-23 ISU SB total scores for the pairs after Nebelhorn Trophy (also includes U.S. Classic and 2 JGPs; John Nicks & Lombardia were Senior B internationals so not counted as SB scores by ISU): https://results.isu.org/isujsstat/sb2022-23/sbtspto.htm

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Here's an ISU bio for Spain's Patrizio Romano ROSSI LOPEZ, now 19: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107650.htm
I found Italy's Linda De Nardin's date of birth online - Dec. 16, 2008 - so she is 13.
Since "young.goose.academy.official" and l "hieloespanol" were both tagged in the photo, looks like they train in Egna, Italy and plan to represent Spain?

It certainly appears to be that they will be representing Spain. Severin Kiefer posted this on his IG story earlier today in response to Lorenzo Magri, saying "happy to help! 🇦🇹🤝🇪🇸"

Sylvia

TBD
Efimova/Blommaert were added to Skate Canada International on Monday.

South Korea has a new pair team! :) Coach Andrew Evans, who also coaches McIntosh/Mimar, shared practice clips today of Hye-Jin CHO (7th in Novice Women at 2020 Canadians) and Steven Adcock: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjVW-s_pCaI/
Huge progress for 4 months from having never done pairs before for Jinny. Very proud of you two! Keep up the work. #koreanskatingfederation #korea #figureskating #pairs #3S #3STh #3Tw

Karen-W

Efimova/Blommaert were added to Skate Canada International on Monday.

South Korea has a new pair team! :) Coach Andrew Evans, who also coaches McIntosh/Mimar, shared practice clips today of Hye-Jin CHO (7th in Novice Women at 2020 Canadians) and Steven Adcock: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjVW-s_pCaI/
Very impressive (apart from the twist technique, but they're a new team, lol)! Seemed like the clip I watched was possibly a SP? I wonder if they'll feel competition ready by Golden Spin, so they can possibly get the TES minimums ahead of 4CCs.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Wow they do look so good! :love: Amazing she has never done pairs before.

I know nothing about South Korean citizenship rules, Do they have a chance at Olys?

Karen-W

Wow they do look so good! :love: Amazing she has never done pairs before.

I know nothing about South Korean citizenship rules, Do they have a chance at Olys?
Who knows? Alexander Gamelin got citizenship fast when he was skating with Yura Min, but that was heading into Pyeongchang. I'd guess that if Korea thinks there's a potential team event medal for them should they have decent pairs & dance teams, then probably.

Karen-W

Schaller/Mayr skated today at the Lentia Cup 2022 in Wels, Austria.

Judges Protocol shows they did a double twist, SBS 3T, and a throw double Sal - http://skateaustria.vs91-250-98-130...------QUAL000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

I'm not sure if they plan on skating their FS or not - the schedule says the Pairs FS was also today, which doesn't really make much sense, but there isn't a time schedule link for the FS at all on the results page.

happycamper2554

Looks like Noël-Antoine Pierre has a new partner, Sasha Dinov (not her full name I think). She briefly partnered with Danny Neudecker. One would assume they would represent France but who knows. It seems like they are training in France.

Karen-W

Looks like Noël-Antoine Pierre has a new partner, Sasha Dinov (not her full name I think). She briefly partnered with Danny Neudecker. One would assume they would represent France but who knows. It seems like they are training in France.

Sasha Farkhoutdinov, I believe - @Sylvia can you confirm the spelling of her last name?

Amy L

Sasha Farkhoutdinov, I believe - @Sylvia can you confirm the spelling of her last name?

That's how her dad spelled the name when he was a competitor.

Sasha was looking like she was skating injured last year when she was with Neudecker. I hope she's had more time to recover or this could be a short partnership too.

Sylvia

TBD
Alexandra (Sasha) FAKHROUTDINOV is how she spells her last name (eta) when she competed in Senior singles & pairs in the USA.

Yes, she went to France and has partnered up there.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Interview by CNN-Philippines with Isabella Gamez following Finlandia Trophy -

Upcoming competition plans include Nice (Trophee Metropole Nice Cote d'Azur Oct 18-23), Asian Open Trophy (in Jakarta INA Dec 5-9), and Philippines Nationals (in Manila in December). Hopefully they will be able to earn the 4CCs TES mins at one of their remaining senior Bs - they scored 22.63 in the SP and 41.08 in the FS st Finlandia, so they are very close to the 25/42 they need.

Karen-W

Also, bringing this over from the OES thread...
The new Austrian pair team of Luc Maierhofer & Italy's Giorgia Ghedini recently trained for several weeks in Colorado Springs with the World Arena Skating Academy pairs group - the WASA Pairs account has shared an excerpt of their new SP that was filmed there: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CixsTc0D0xD/

Switzerland has a new pair - Pauline Irman and Ben Jalovick (U.S. senior singles competitor who's new to pairs) - clip of their 2022-23 SP to "Seven Nation Army’" by Gaullin and Julian Perretta: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CitEtmCD7oR/

WASA Pairs' August 23rd post: https://www.instagram.com/p/ChnIIQJrZ9w/

Karen-W

Incredible IG post from Greta Crafoord today -

She was off the ice for a full year and just had her last (hopefully) surgery 6 weeks ago. They got back on the ice 4 weeks ago and have been working hard to re-learn all their pairs elements, plus prepare programs for SkAm next week.

Good luck to them!

Andrea82

Beccari/Guarise didn't compete in the end. In a recent (last week) interview, they said they aim at debuting at Warsaw Cup.

Schaller/Mayer immediately achieved the minimum TES for Worlds. They struggled in the SP (20 points of TES) missing also the Euro minimum. However, at least the Euro TES minimum (25 points) is achievable for them, based on what they delivered in the Free.
They fell during the Step Sequence in the SP, they got only 0.9 point. A StSq Level 2 with 0 GOE is worth 2.77 points.
Their downgraded 3T got them 0.91 points. Base value of a 3T (they did it in the FS in combo) is 4.20 points.
Just improving those two elements would give them 25 points.
Furthermore, they can get something more from the twist (level 1 in the SP and level 3 in the FS).

Karen-W

Beccari/Guarise didn't compete in the end. In a recent (last week) interview, they said they aim at debuting at Warsaw Cup.

Schaller/Mayer immediately achieved the minimum TES for Worlds. They struggled in the SP (20 points of TES) missing also the Euro minimum. However, at least the Euro TES minimum (25 points) is achievable for them, based on what they delivered in the Free.
They fell during the Step Sequence in the SP, they got only 0.9 point. A StSq Level 2 with 0 GOE is worth 2.77 points.
Their downgraded 3T got them 0.91 points. Base value of a 3T (they did it in the FS in combo) is 4.20 points.
Just improving those two elements would give them 25 points.
Furthermore, they can get something more from the twist (level 1 in the SP and level 3 in the FS).
I agree. The Euros TES min should be achievable with a clean skate. They are scheduled to compete at Trophee Metropole Nice Cote d'Azur this coming weekend, so I'm hoping they can manage to go clean in the SP.

Based on where they are right now, the Worlds SP TES might be a stretch, but I think they have all the potential to get there in another 3 months by the time Euros rolls around.

Karen-W

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Here is hoping that 4CCs will have representation from all FOUR continents in Pairs this February!
But four continents has always been five continents -- unless you went to school somewhere in many places in Eastern Europe (or Japan) and learned that America is one continent ;)

Karen-W

But four continents has always been five continents -- unless you went to school somewhere in many places in Europe and learned that America is one continent ;)
LOL - well, you do know why there are only five Olympic rings, right? "the Americas" are lumped into one continent by the IOC, which is how we wound up with the 4CCs name. Arrogant Europeans demanding that Europe and Asia be identified as separate continents when they share a far longer land border (the Ural mountain range) than North America & South America (Darien Gap)! :rofl:

I might be a bit of a geography nerd...

Amy L

New team alert! There will be a pairs team, representing South Africa, competing at Warsaw Cup next month! https://results.isu.org/events/cspol2022_Pairs.htm

Julia Mauder / Johannes Wilkinson

Here is their ISU bio - http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00114610.htm

Here is hoping that 4CCs will have representation from all FOUR continents in Pairs this February!

I could have sworn there was a South African pair team not too long ago that maybe did one international, but I couldn't find their bio. Though it does look like this Wilkinson guy had a previous partner in 2019 so that's got to be who I was recalling. Thank god, I thought I was hallucinating a whole pair team for a second there!

Karen-W

It's not arrogant Europeans. I grew up in Colombia and North, South and Central American and the Caribbean are all considered separate.
Read @tony's post closely - Europeans are the ones who lump "the Americas" into one continent. Most people in the western hemisphere separate the regions like you. ;)

Andrea82

But four continents has always been five continents -- unless you went to school somewhere in many places in Eastern Europe (or Japan) and learned that America is one continent ;)

I am from Italy and I am pretty sure they taught us that there are 5 continents. Sometimes they add the Antartide. But not more than one page.

Karen-W

This week was a definite improvement in depth at SCI.

It's too bad that Efimova/Blommaert had to WD after the SP and I hope they're able to skate in Espoo - they could play spoiler to potential GPF qualifiers in what should be a pretty decent field.

Right now, we have 3 teams who are a clear cut above the rest of the field (listed in alpha order) - Knierim/Frazier, Miura/Kihara, Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps. SDDes can book their ticket to the GPF with a win next week at GPdF. Hard to say whether or not they will be challenged much since we haven't seen Safina/Berulava yet, and the last time we saw Ghilardi/Ambrosini was early September at US Classic where they scored 189.22. It seems reasonable to think they could challenge SDDes for gold if the Deanna & Max make errors. Hocke/Kunkel are the dark horses for the podium - their scores are more in the range of Chan/Howe and Conti/Macii, but close enough that if they're clean, they'll be right in the mix.

Now is the time where the relative strength of each GP field is going to leave someone at home in December instead of in Torino at the GPF. GhilAmbro, SafBeru & HocKun need no worse than 2nd & 3rd at their events (GPdF & Espoo) - whomever wins Espoo will book their ticket to the GPF. Conti/Macii and Chan/Howe really got lucky with their GP assignments as teams dropped out and lower-ranked/unranked teams replaced them - Chan/Howe can assure themselves a GPF ticket if they finish 2nd again at NHK. Meanwhile, Conti/Macii are going to have to not only at least finish 2nd at MKJW, but they're going to be reliant on some really mixed up results between the 3 teams who are assigned to both GPdF & Espoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information