Team Captains were announced:
🇨🇦 Team Canada: Nam Nguyen
🇫🇷 Team France: Kévin Aymoz
🇮🇹 Team Italy: Matteo Guarise
🇯🇵 Team Japan: Ryuichi Kihara
🇷🇺 Team Russia: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
🇺🇸 Team USA: Jason Brown

ostile17

Yeah, at a minimum I’m not sure having an audience is a good idea.

But I do have a lot more trust in the Japanese health authorities in this area as compared to some other countries this year (like Sweden).

Well, the Japanese have been doing so little testing that it's hard to assess the real situation.

Osaka has the highest number of cases in Japan and the Olympic torch relay has been cancelled.
In Tokyo some Olympic test events have been cancelled

It can be complicated for a foreigner to receive health care in Japan, se let's hope no skater/coach is getting sick, especially in a situation where their own health system is struggling.

It sure sounds weird to know the Japanese athletes who were at worlds are still quarantining while the ones coming from overseas won't require one.

Maybe having no audience would be the safest decision, but JSF is very greedy... LOL

Ka3sha

Team Russia will fly from Moscow to Vladivostok on a regular Aeroflot flight and then from Vladivostok to Osaka on a private jet. There are no direct flights between Moscow and Osaka, and they would need to stay in quarantine if they use regular Moscow-Tokyo flight

Last edited:

muffinplus

Team Russia will fly from Moscow to Vladivostok on a regular Aeroflot flight and then from Vladivostok to Osaka on a private jet. There are no direct flights between Moscow and Osaka, and in they would need to stay in quarantine if they use regular Moscow-Tokio flight

I wonder why don't they need to quarantine if they fly on a private jet?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Team Russia will fly from Moscow to Vladivostok on a regular Aeroflot flight and then from Vladivostok to Osaka on a private jet. There are no direct flights between Moscow and Osaka, and in they would need to stay in quarantine if they use regular Moscow-Tokio flight
Just doing a check on Google... there are direct flights from Paris and LA. None from anywhere in Canada (a bit surprised that there aren't any from Vancouver) and none from anywhere in Italy either. So... Team Canada might be able to fly from Vancouver to LA (or Honolulu) and then directly to Osaka? And Team Italy would need to fly from somewhere else in Europe? Yikes.

skatingguy

decently
Just doing a check on Google... there are direct flights from Paris and LA. None from anywhere in Canada (a bit surprised that there aren't any from Vancouver) and none from anywhere in Italy either. So... Team Canada might be able to fly from Vancouver to LA (or Honolulu) and then directly to Osaka? And Team Italy would need to fly from somewhere else in Europe? Yikes.
Is that ever, or just currently? Because most international flights have been cancelled for the past year.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Team Russia will fly from Moscow to Vladivostok on a regular Aeroflot flight and then from Vladivostok to Osaka on a private jet. There are no direct flights between Moscow and Osaka, and they would need to stay in quarantine if they use regular Moscow-Tokyo flight
Channel One cameras for this, too?

seabm7

There are daily flights from Incheon/Seoul, South Korea to Osaka, Japan by regional agencies. But it will be a pretty long hours from North America to Osaka via South Korea.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
There are daily flights from Incheon/Seoul, South Korea to Osaka, Japan by regional agencies. But it will be a pretty long hours from North America to Osaka via South Korea.
It would make more sense to fly from LA to Osaka directly or from somewhere on the West Coast to Honolulu then to Osaka.

seabm7

It would make more sense to fly from LA to Osaka directly or from somewhere on the West Coast to Honolulu then to Osaka.
I searched Expedia. There is no direct flight from LA to Osaka during weekdays. According to Google, the direct flight from LA to Osaka happens only once per week on Saturday. Google also says the direct flight from Honolulu to Osaka happens only on Tuesday.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I am very certain this is probably been discussed in this thread and others but can someone please just explain to me how team Canada fielded their team? And Gabby Daleman? Really she’s up for it? It just seems like team Canada selected skaters whom I thought they would not choose for this event. No members of their world team are going to this? Does it have to do with their strict restrictions?

screech

I am very certain this is probably been discussed in this thread and others but can someone please just explain to me how team Canada fielded their team? And Gabby Daleman? Really she’s up for it? It just seems like team Canada selected skaters whom I thought they would not choose for this event. No members of their world team are going to this? Does it have to do with their strict restrictions?
Strict quarantine restrictions, but also IMO a good idea to get their potential nationals contenders out on the international circuit this year while they can. And in all honesty, in Canadian singles, the WTT choices are pretty much as capable as the Worlds choices. I said earlier in the thread that I'm surprised more countries didn't go that route, especially for things like US ladies.

Wasn't it WTT a few years ago where Gabby was badly injured? Hopefully this acts as a bit of a personal redemption for her.

ostile17

No direct flights from Italy into Kansai airport is quite the norm. There was one from Rome some time ago but it didn't last long. The Italians will probably fly to Frankfurt and then on to KIX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information