2021 ISU World Team Trophy, April 15-18, Osaka, Japan

Sylvia

TBD
The ISU World Team Trophy Announcement "(Subject to potential amendments and additions in order to adjust to the COVID-19 pandemic situation at the time of the Event)" -- scheduled for April 15-18, 2021 in Osaka, Japan -- is now linked from the ISU's WTT event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...il/12845/-/world-team-trophy?templateParam=11

Direct link to the Announcement (14 pages): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...orld-team-trophy-osaka-2021-announcement/file

Excerpts:

2. BASIC EVENT FORMAT AND QUALIFYING SYSTEM (page 2):
b)
Six (6) ISU Members will qualify based on the scoring scale used for the ISU World Standing points (see applicable scale in sub-paragraph e) below) scored by its best 2 Lady Single Skaters, best 2 Men Single Skaters, the best Pair and the best Ice Dance Couple primarily at ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and Final season 2019/20 and the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 (if not held no ISU World Figure Skating Championships results apply), plus possibly the ISU European Figure Skating Championships / ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2020, the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2020 and ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating season 2019/20.
Links to relevant ISU Season 2019/2020 results are compiled here (scroll down): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/entries-results/fsk-results
17. ARRIVAL OF PARTICIPANTS (page 12):
The participating Teams and all respective Team members as well as all ISU Event Officials are requested to announce to the Organizing Committee as soon as possible but no later than Tuesday, March 30, 2021 the name of the airlines, flight numbers, dates and times of arrival at the Kansai International Airport Osaka (KIX) or Osaka-Itami Airport (ITM) or any other information concerning transportation and arrivals using the Online Registration System (ORS).
... The Organizing Committee provides a bus shuttle to meet the Teams on arrival.
Due to the currently limited number of available international flights as well as the travel restrictions on domestic flights and other means of public transportation within Japan, Members must inform the Organizing Committee and receive the formal approval by the Organizing Committee on their travel arrangements, to confirm that they are acceptable and in line with the special restrictions to enter Japan before issuing the respective flight tickets.

Marco

I was hoping they would do a virtual version, and invite the best from the top 6 countries from Worlds to skate (from where they reside and train), but the scores can't officially count that way.

Now that they have to physically attend and compete in Japan, I wonder how many skaters or countries will bail (e.g. will P&C be forced to go if France qualifies?) given the logistics involved for a competition that does not determine Olympic spots or individual medals. There are certainly not going to be audience members or group hubs where the skaters can sit together and cheer?!

If this happens though, I believe the ISU can make this work safely. We are all hungry for some skating!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I was hoping they would do a virtual version, and invite the best from the top 6 countries from Worlds to skate (from where they reside and train), but the scores can't officially count that way.

Now that they have to physically attend and compete in Japan, I wonder how many skaters or countries will bail (e.g. will P&C be forced to go if France qualifies?) given the logistics involved for a competition that does not determine Olympic spots or individual medals. There are certainly not going to be audience members or group hubs where the skaters can sit together and cheer?!

If this happens though, I believe the ISU can make this work safely. We are all hungry for some skating!
From memory, it is the collective results of the top six countries from the World Championships.

I believe whomever each nation sends is up to them.

I say this after Zagitova and Medvedeva skipped the ladies event in Fukuoka and Tuktamysheva and Samodurova went in their place. Tarasova and Morozov also declined, and Zabiiako and Enbert subbed for them as well.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
From page 2 of the Announcement:

2 d) For the purpose of the ISU World Team Trophy Qualifying System, the basis is to attribute to each ISU Member
points according to the scale below (sub-paragraph e) on the basis of the two best results (the highest number
of points earned) of two different Single Skaters Men, of two different Single Skaters Ladies, of one Pair
and of one Ice Dance Couple at each of the two (2) groups of ISU Events listed below (the applicable Events):

i) in one of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating individual events or Final (senior) season 2019/20.
If Skaters/Couples of an ISU Member have not obtained points in the above-mentioned ISU Grand
Prix of Figure Skating individual events and Final (senior) season 2019/20, then the best result in
one event of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating individual events (only in individual events
but not the Final) season 2019/20 can be considered; ...

RUS is the only country that can get all of their 2019/20 Grand Prix points from the results of the GP Final (December 2019):
Ladies 1st (800) & 2nd (720) + Men 4th (583) & 6th (472) + Pairs 3rd (648) + Ice Dance 4th (583) = 3806 points

USA attains 2045 points from the GPF (800 1st in men; 720 2nd in dance; 525 5th in ladies) and 3053 points total (with GP men's silver 360; GP ladies' bronze 324; GP pair bronze 324)

JPN gets 1303 points from the GPF (720 men 2nd + 583 ladies 4th) and 2397 total (with GP ladies' silver 360; GP men's 3rd 324; GP pair 5th 262; JGP dance 6th 148)

CHN has 1325 points from the GPF (800 pairs 1st + 525 men 5th) and 2265 total (with GP men's silver 360, GP dance 4th 292, GP ladies' 8th 191; JGP ladies' 10th 97)

FRA receives 1448 points from the GPF (800 dance 1st + 648 men 3rd) and 2031 total (with GP ladies' 8th 191, JGP men's 5th 164, JGP pair 8th 120; JGP ladies' 9th 108)

CAN earns 1050 from the GPF (525 + 525 for 5th in both pairs & dance) and 2030 total (with GP men's silver 360 & bronze 324 and 2 JGP ladies' 6th place finishes 148 + 148)

ITA had GP bronzes in men & dance (324 + 324), GP 4th in pairs (292), JGP men's gold (250), JGP ladies' bronze (203) & JGP ladies' 6th (148) = 1541

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Marco

Erin

Banned Member
I'm really surprised that this event would go ahead in Japan. The Olympic test event for gymnastics in Japan, scheduled for early May, was just converted to a domestic event because authorities don't want infections to increase ahead of the Olympics and are trying to discourage travel from foreigners. I understand that there are different federations involved, but I got the impression that this direction was coming from the Japanese government authorities, so it's odd that they would be supportive of the WTT.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
So Worlds in Sweden ends March 28th and they are expected to compete in Japan by April 15? So about an 18 day window to get back home, quarantine for 14 days, train 1-2 days and then fly off to Japan for some countries? :lol:
More likely that the athletes would go straight to Japan and do the 14 day quarantine there. But yeah - competing after being off the ice for two weeks and with only two days training would not be the optimum preparation.....

hockeyplayer2

From page 2 of the Announcement:

2 d) For the purpose of the ISU World Team Trophy Qualifying System, the basis is to attribute to each ISU Member
points according to the scale below (sub-paragraph e) on the basis of the two best results (the highest number
of points earned) of two different Single Skaters Men, of two different Single Skaters Ladies, of one Pair
and of one Ice Dance Couple at each of the two (2) groups of ISU Events listed below (the applicable Events):

i) in one of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating individual events or Final (senior) season 2019/20.
If Skaters/Couples of an ISU Member have not obtained points in the above-mentioned ISU Grand
Prix of Figure Skating individual events and Final (senior) season 2019/20, then the best result in
one event of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating individual events (only in individual events
but not the Final) season 2019/20 can be considered; ...

RUS is the only country that can get all of their 2019/20 Grand Prix points from the results of the GP Final (December 2019):
Ladies 1st (800) & 2nd (720) + Men 4th (583) & 6th (472) + Pairs 3rd (648) + Ice Dance 4th (583) = 3806 points

USA attains 2045 points from the GPF (800 1st in men; 720 2nd in dance; 525 5th in ladies) and 3053 points total (with GP men's silver 360; GP ladies' bronze 324; GP pair bronze 324)

JPN gets 1303 points from the GPF (720 men 2nd + 583 ladies 4th) and 2397 total (with GP ladies' silver 360; GP men's 3rd 324; GP pair 5th 262; JGP dance 6th 148)

CHN has 1325 points from the GPF (800 pairs 1st + 525 men 5th) and 2265 total (with GP men's silver 360, GP dance 4th 292, GP ladies' 8th 191; JGP ladies' 10th 97)

FRA receives 1448 points from the GPF (800 dance 1st + 648 men 3rd) and 2031 total (with GP ladies' 8th 191, JGP men's 5th 164, JGP pair 8th 120; JGP ladies' 9th 108)

CAN earns 1050 from the GPF (525 + 525 for 5th in both pairs & dance) and 2030 total (with GP men's silver 360 & bronze 324 and 2 JGP ladies' 6th place finishes 148 + 148)

ITA had GP bronzes in men & dance (324 + 324), GP 4th in pairs (292), JGP men's gold (250), JGP ladies' bronze (203) & JGP ladies' 6th (148) = 1541
I believe the US had second and third in dance at the Grand Prix Final? That should increase their point standing

Marco

More likely that the athletes would go straight to Japan and do the 14 day quarantine there. But yeah - competing after being off the ice for two weeks and with only two days training would not be the optimum preparation.....
If they all competed at Worlds, perhaps WTT organizers can continue the bubble concept through to Japan and extend the practice rink in the quarantine area? Is this an option? Of course this means they all have to catch the same flight?!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Well, as the Tutberidze “Champions on Ice” tour across Russia precedes and falls within the time of this WTT schedule for quarantining, I doubt that her skaters will participate. For example, the very important St Petersburg stop of the tour is April 14.

jeb

Roman S. posted a YouTube video in which he said that the same skaters would not be going to both Worlds and WTT. I am not sure if this is a Skate Canada decision (if WTT happens and if Canada gets to send a team) or if it applies to all countries.

Colonel Green

Roman S. posted a YouTube video in which he said that the same skaters would not be going to both Worlds and WTT. I am not sure if this is a Skate Canada decision (if WTT happens and if Canada gets to send a team) or if it applies to all countries.
For countries that require quarantining on return, I think it’d be functionally very hard (borderline impossible) to do both.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

A bizarre but clever way to get around having to quarantine after the world championships.

Here's hoping Canada gets their act together and earns a top six spot.

Rhumba d’Amour

I’m intrigued by this. Canada could actually put together quite a respectable WTT team out of folks who it’s not sending to Worlds, maybe Sadovsky, Alison Schumacher, Soucisse/Firus, Matte/Ferland...

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I’m intrigued by this. Canada could actually put together quite a respectable WTT team out of folks who it’s not sending to Worlds, maybe Sadovsky, Alison Schumacher, Soucisse/Firus, Matte/Ferland...
I wonder if the USFS would to this too... Not a bad idea to get Tomoki, Ilia, Amber, Mariah, Lu/Mitrofanov (or C/J if they were available) and Carreira/Ponomarenko out there.

Sabine-Yuna

I wonder if the USFS would to this too... Not a bad idea to get Tomoki, Ilia, Amber, Mariah, Lu/Mitrofanov (or C/J if they were available) and Carreira/Ponomarenko out there.
I would assume that most top athletes of a country would like to earn the money you get at WTT. There are not many other options at the moment.

mackiecat

A bizarre but clever way to get around having to quarantine after the world championships.

Here's hoping Canada gets their act together and earns a top six spot.
They are pretty much in a tie with France for 5th (who is not sending their top dancers.) Canada should outplacement France in dance and pair and possibly men. They have a fairly big lead on Italy. Which Italians are going to place higher than Canadians ( they do have a fairly strong man)

Cherub721

YEAH!
They are pretty much in a tie with France for 5th (who is not sending their top dancers.) Canada should outplacement France in dance and pair and possibly men. They have a fairly big lead on Italy. Which Italians are going to place higher than Canadians ( they do have a fairly strong man)
Italy could beat Canada in pairs and dance, depending on what shape everyone is in.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I have to admit. Having had the privilege of attending several world championships and the 2019 WTT, I love that as a viewer, the latter's schedule is less hectic. Granted, there are fewer skaters. But it doesn't feel like a week long marathon of ultra-long days.

I remember how in Shanghai, competition often started at 10am and didn't wrap up until 11pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information