2021 ISU World Team Trophy, April 15-18, Osaka, Japan

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It's possible H/D go back to the home in the States first, then fly to Japan.
Well, they said during their IG live when they took over the USFS acct that they were flying in and out of Boston (drove from Montreal because if they fly into and out of Canada they have to quarantine in a hotel instead of being able to drive directly home after crossing the border) , so they easily could opt to stay in the States, if some training/housing arrangements can be made.

mjb52

Some of these skaters are scheduled for Eteri's tour, but maybe not all the stops?

greenapple

Well, they said during their IG live when they took over the USFS acct that they were flying in and out of Boston (drove from Montreal because if they fly into and out of Canada they have to quarantine in a hotel instead of being able to drive directly home after crossing the border) , so they easily could opt to stay in the States, if some training/housing arrangements can be made.
The reason H/D drove to Boston is because they planned to compete at WTT if the U.S. qualified. Hubbell said she packed for all possibilities before heading to Sweden.

Karen-W

The reason H/D drove to Boston is because they planned to compete at WTT if the U.S. qualified. Hubbell said she packed for all possibilities before heading to Sweden.
LOL "if the US qualified" :rofl: I think the bigger question mark was which of the two top US teams would come out on top and earn the WTT assignment as a result. ;)

Ka3sha

I will be very surprised if Scherbakova goes there: 1) there's team Tutberidze's tour on exactly these dates with stops in St Petersburg, Perm and Kazan, I think 2) She has not yet recovered from the illness and I think they would like to just have rest & recover

midori

What’s interesting is whether Japan will impose a 14-day quarantine requirement upon entry. So that would be 14 days quarantine in Japan, then 14 days upon return to Canada. 28 days of quarantine.

That should not happen, because:
b) World Team Trophy 2021 Subject to the timely lifting of the state of emergency by the Japanese authorities and related confirmation that no quarantine for the participants shall apply, the Council acknowledged that the ISU World Team Trophy will take place on April 15-18, 2021 in Osaka,

There was an exemption rule of the quarantine, called "athletes track", but I think it is on suspension for now. I'm not really following latest changes of those rules though.

Also, reading some of the document from the government it sounds like the exemption only applies for events for 2020 Olympics/Paralympics, and I'm not sure if WTT is anything about 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.

BW they have started ticket sales of the event for limited people, and for general public next week.

MsZem

I see the sea
The first WTT without France and their excellent K&C antics... will there even be team K&Cs this time? It's one of the highlights of the event, along with 2012 when all the skaters were cheering for Dai after the FS.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I will be very surprised if Scherbakova goes there: 1) there's team Tutberidze's tour on exactly these dates with stops in St Petersburg, Perm and Kazan, I think 2) She has not yet recovered from the illness and I think they would like to just have rest & recover
is it final or is this base on countries seeded ranking ?
If its optional or they get penalty ?

then they can send those who did not compete at worlds

midori

The first WTT without France and their excellent K&C antics... will there even be team K&Cs this time? It's one of the highlights of the event, along with 2012 when all the skaters were cheering for Dai after the FS.
It looks like they're preparing the big K&C section again. Not sure if that's a good idea under the circumstances though.

mackiecat

Canada should be Nam and a Roman, Gabby and either Alison or Kaiya, Carolane and Shane, pair Matte and Ferland. ( I assume Dianna hasn’t been released yet).
Gabby has been looking amazing on Instagram

Ka3sha

No, I was wrong - Anna Sherbakova will compete at WTT

npavel

I would hope Italy send two of the other ladies, as there are 4 at about the same level. So I hope it will be between Lucrezia Beccari, Ginevra Negrello, and Alessia Tornaghi

kirkbiggestfan

There was an article in l’équipe saying that China declined and that France would be going. It may be wrong but it’s coming from a reputable newspaper that checks their sources.

Karen-W

There was an article in l’équipe saying that China declined and that France would be going. It may be wrong but it’s coming from a reputable newspaper that checks their sources.
Hmmmm... Wonder why China declined if the report is true (no reason to doubt the veracity since, as you said, it's coming from a reputable newspaper).

France -
Men - Aymoz & Fa?
Ladies - Mazzara & Serna??
Pairs - Hamon/Strekalin
Dance - Galyavieva/Thauron? Can't see P/C leaving Canada for WTT if they weren't willing to leave for Worlds.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I would hope Italy send two of the other ladies, as there are 4 at about the same level. So I hope it will be between Lucrezia Beccari, Ginevra Negrello, and Alessia Tornaghi
Fingers crossed for Lucrezia!

MsZem

I see the sea
Oh, interesting if true! They'll probably finish dead last, but it would be fun for the skaters and an opportunity to make some money - which given the limited number of competitions and shows these days must be very appealing.

Ka3sha

Hmmmm... Wonder why China declined if the report is true (no reason to doubt the veracity since, as you said, it's coming from a reputable newspaper).

France -
Men - Aymoz & Fa?
Pairs - Hamon/Strekalin
Dance - Galyavieva/Thauron? Can't see P/C leaving Canada for WTT if they weren't willing to leave for Worlds.
I have seen a screenshot of the French entries from the French news paper, so it's indeed:
Men - Kevin Aymoz and Adam Siao Fa
Ladies - Mai Mazzara and Lea Serna
Pairs - Hamon/Strekalin
Dance - Galyavieva/Thauron

Sorry, I can't find the link to the article itself

Russian Fed (Kogan and Gorshkov) said that they won't announce the team now, will have to get back to Moscow at first. They also added that there are few organizational issues that ISU and Japanese Fed should solve at first, but for now WTT is in the plan and should take place as expected

Stephanie

France -
Men - Aymoz & Fa?
Pairs - Hamon/Strekalin
China has very strict quarantine rules for those returning from abroad, so I suspect this could be part of it.

ETA: found this here: https://www.china-airlines.com/nz/en/discover/news/travel-advisory/Immigration-Information

Quarantine measures :
• All inbound passengers arriving in Beijing are required to receive nucleic acid tests and undergo 14 -day centralized quarantine by bearing the relevant fees themselves.
• After the centralized quarantine, passengers are required to quarantine themselves for further 7 days at home or the quarantine hotel , and carry out the self-health monitoring for 7 days afterwards.

So athletes going to worlds and WTT would have to do a total of 6(!) weeks of quarantine, so I understand why the Chinese Fed declined to go to WTT

Last edited:

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Wow madness that Shcherbakova is not going home to rest, especially as she will be touring a lot before and during the summer, not to mention prepping an Olympic year.
Isn’t that true for most of them though? Why is Anna different?

Cherub721

YEAH!
I would have rather they changed it up a bit in the singles categories, but I guess they want to take it seriously as practice for the Olympics. Kolyada, the ball is in your court!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Wow madness that Shcherbakova is not going home to rest, especially as she will be touring a lot before and during the summer, not to mention prepping an Olympic year.
This may be a last hurrah...able to enjoy the fleeting spotlight now, as World Champ. Will she be back next season, with so many younger phenoms waiting in the wings?

sk8nlizard

I would have rather they changed it up a bit in the singles categories, but I guess they want to take it seriously as practice for the Olympics. Kolyada, the ball is in your court!
Don’t the skaters make money at WTT? I know that the Russians probably make money on the tour but for other nations, this would be one of the few chances they’ve had this year to earn some money. I’m sure most people would not turn this opportunity down, though in a normal season before the Olympics they might.

Sylvia

TBD
Don’t the skaters make money at WTT?
Prize money info is on page 7 of the WTT Announcement (linked in post #1):

All prize money in favor of the Skaters/Couples will be paid via bank transfer by the organizing ISU Member (JSF) to the ISU Members of the Skaters/Couples of the awarded teams immediately after the ISU World Team Trophy based on the following scale:
1st placed team: US$ 200’000
2nd placed team: US$ 170’000
3rd placed team: US$ 160’000
4th placed team: US$ 150’000
5th placed team: US$ 140’000
6th placed team: US$ 130’000.

Deadline for entries by name is Tuesday, March 30, 2021 – 20:00 h (JST), local time Osaka / JPN.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Dance: Adelina Galyavieva/Louis Thauron

1st placed team: US$ 200’000
2nd placed team: US$ 170’000
3rd placed team: US$ 160’000
4th placed team: US$ 150’000
5th placed team: US$ 140’000
6th placed team: US$ 130’000.
Ouch for Papadakis & Cizeron, and what great news for Galyavieva & Thauron! But, of course, this was only to be expected.

MsZem

I see the sea
Ouch for Papadakis & Cizeron, and what great news for Galyavieva & Thauron! But, of course, this was only to be expected.
P/C have skipped the WTT before, so I guess they don't want the $$$ that badly.

Anyway, the WTT is especially useful for lower-ranked skaters. There's not much prize money to be had these days, and few opportunities for them to do shows, even other normal circumstances. For skaters like Serna and Mazzara this has to be a super-exciting opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information