2021/2022 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

barbarafan

Well done to D'Alessandro/Waddell and Bashynska/Beaumont for holding onto silver & bronze in the final standings. I hope they both move up to senior next season. Canadian ice dance needs them on the senior level to mix things up a bit.
Seniors is pretty full with the Danes and the French wonderful couple now skating for Canada. That is why the Korean juniors now skate for Korea....they did skate for Canada. Fabbri/Ayer still have not been put on senior national team....

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Seniors is pretty full with the Danes and the French wonderful couple now skating for Canada. That is why the Korean juniors now skate for Korea....they did skate for Canada. Fabbri/Ayer still have not been put on senior national team....
Oh, please, Canadian seniors is not that full. FB/S, L/L, S/F, L/LeG, F/A, S/W, L/R... Those last five are all highly beatable by D'A/W and B/B. The third spot on your podium should be viewed as wide open.

barbarafan

Oh, please, Canadian seniors is not that full. FB/S, L/L, S/F, L/LeG, F/A, S/W, L/R... Those last five are all highly beatable by D'A/W and B/B. The third spot on your podium should be viewed as wide open.
Skate Canada is very very cheap and not bright...They will not enlarge # of spots on team because they have a lot of good skaters. Only team who may be retiring is G/P and that is not sure at all. And if any great Russian team wants to switch countries in order to continue skating they already have great personal bests (whether deserved or just skating politics)so Skate Canada would scoop them up.

litenkyckling

I think the trouble in Canada just now is that seniors feels quite full, but the combination of G/P and FB/S hasn't been the strongest - if the Russian teams had been there then Canada could have had only 1 team in the top 10. Could backing younger teams now ensure that the strength is there in the future?

I think the same can be said across all nations though - there are so many strong junior teams and new seniors that miss out (and then split or plateau due to such little chance of senior success) because teams that have been around forever are still clinging on. I understand why, but it has such a stifling effect.

litenkyckling

I am so happy B/B medaled. I thought they were special from first viewing. Anybody know anything about Emmy B.? I also really found her captivating and felt so bad when that dance team split.
I think partly why B/B are so special is because they have a lovely connection with eachother which really does add to their quality as a team. I like D/W and see why they technically beat B/B - but if I had to choose, it will always be Nadiia and Peter.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Senior dance in Canada might be crowded, but those seniors aren't setting the world on fire. (Sad as I am about that with FB/S & L/L) I'm ready for Hunger Games: Canadian Ice Dance. The US has done well by having a crowded list of talented teams - we could be so lucky to have the same situation here.

Unfortunately that requires Skate Canada evolving as well. Or at least learning to get behind more than one team, as they did with V&M, then G&P.

Karen-W

I wonder if D/W and B/B will be swayed by the fact that there is 2 spots to worlds next year yet 3 spots to a home JWC?
They can compete senior all fall and battle it out for Worlds and 4CCs spots at Canadians, and then go to JWC if they don't get one ofnthose coveted assignments. There would be plenty of time to rework their programs to fit junior requirements and they certainly won't need to earn the TES mins, lol.

Sonata

I think FB/S’s rise was side tracked by injuries. I definitely thought they would challenge G/P more during the most recent quad. Ok I did strongly dislike that FD from last year but I enjoyed Gladiator this year. Unfortunately he was injured again at worlds. I would have loved to see them without injury.

I enjoyed L/L as well. I feel if all teams are healthy, dance will be quite competitive in the next few years.

Karen-W

I think FB/S’s rise was side tracked by injuries. I definitely thought they would challenge G/P more during the most recent quad. Ok I did strongly dislike that FD from last year but I enjoyed Gladiator this year. Unfortunately he was injured again at worlds. I would have loved to see them without injury.

I enjoyed L/L as well. I feel if all teams are healthy, dance will be quite competitive in the next few years.
You do realize that it was the exact same choreography, just different music, right?

Sonata

You do realize that it was the exact same choreography, just different music, right?
Was it the exact same? I definitely knew it had basically been reworked with different music. I didn’t like the spoken word section of the original, glad they got rid of it mid-season.

Sylvia

TBD
D'Alessandro/Waddell (2nd, 64.00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Y2NJ3yk64
Bashynska/Beaumont (3rd, 63.45 new ISU SB): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEM5W1a0zMA
D'Alessandro/Waddell (3rd, 98.56 - same score as their ISU SB/PB at JGP Kosice but their PCS must have been higher there): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCZB9SEKi-M

Bashynska/Beaumont (5th, 94.19): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6x98tkduh4
B/B's 157.64 total score is a new ISU SB/PB for them.

Here are Natalie and Nadiia enjoying themselves right before the Junior Worlds ice dance medal ceremony begins :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqanSypdpwg&t=11855s

ETA link to Skate Canada's Sunday recap:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Looking at Nadiia & Peter’s ISU bio, I had a hunch that proved correct: they brought back their “Caruso”/“And the Waltz Goes On” program.

Judging from Nadiia’s social media posts, she was not in the mood for a musical homage to the Russian Army right now.
Nadiia confirmed this (obliquely) in their post-FD press conference after B/B were asked why they had changed their FD music (copying from the ISU's document):

Bashynska: (on changing their original Russian folk free dance music and deciding to return to their 2019-20 music about 6 weeks before this competition) I'd like to say that I am proud of my (Ukrainian) heritage and I'm proud of Peter and I to make this wise choice of music, to go back to our previous program. We love this program and I think we were able to deliver the feeling and our love and the story to the ice today. I think what matters today is what we did and what we left out there and that was everything we've been feeling for the past month.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
It’s so hard at that age to continue when you are more academic inclined. Same with George who is also academically inclined. What a successful junior career they had.

litenkyckling

Possibly a family decisions for whatever reasons. Both of their partners made nice announcements and don't seem bitter.
Is Bruce too short for Sasha? There are limited men in the UK and I would guess George had possible citizenship through their Scottish dad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information