2021/2022 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

screech

G&P were NOT underscored. They did not look like they belonged in the last group - barely the second-last group.
They weren't perfect, but their levels were better today than the TE. C/B also were imperfect. And a sloppy and also tight G/F are far too close to them in scores IMO.

screech

G/P and FB/S on warm up right now. I like Laurence's new dress (though I liked the red too), but I really do not like Piper and Paul's new outfits. The pink colour (and Paul's pants) just don't work for me. I really liked their old navy ones.

manhn

You wonder how likely Canada will get three spots at Worlds. I cannot see any team skipping Worlds this season, except maybe S&K due to injury.

I wonder if G&P can bring back one of their older FD, but not sure how easy it is to meet with levels, etc. I would love Starry Starry Night (their magnum opus, IMO) but maybe Hitchcock.

screech

I actually like The Long and Winding Road, though it's very 3rd year of a similar program, which is odd for a couple who usually thrived in being a bit more avant garde.
If they stick around next year, I hope they do something completely different from this more introspective style FD they've been doing.
Also, if P/C retire, I hope most teams move away from that style, which it seemed everyone copied because PC won everyone by doing that same style for what seems like their entire career.

Colonel Green

I wonder if G&P can bring back one of their older FD, but not sure how easy it is to meet with levels, etc. I would love Starry Starry Night (their magnum opus, IMO) but maybe Hitchcock.
They could, but why would they?

There is also no way they would ever bring back "Hitchcock"; even setting aside that the judges never liked that program, it would have to be heavily revamped to conform to the current dance rules.

bcash

I actually like The Long and Winding Road, though it's very 3rd year of a similar program, which is odd for a couple who usually thrived in being a bit more avant garde.
If they stick around next year, I hope they do something completely different from this more introspective style FD they've been doing.
Also, if P/C retire, I hope most teams move away from that style, which it seemed everyone copied because PC won everyone by doing that same style for what seems like their entire career.

Are teams trying to "copy" P/C's "style"? Some fuzzy semantics here. The teams in the last two flights all have very different programs, using different genres of music, creating different moods, and crafting different images on the ice. And if you are talking about "movement style", of course we all have one inherent style. I for example vastly prefer Kwan's style to Lipinski's, Berezhinaya/Sikharulidze's to Mishina/Galliamov's. And I think Laurence F-B is a much more articulate dancer than Piper Gilles. We could say that the former has a superior style of movement. P/C as performers have an introspective performance style, even at their most passionate. But if you are talking about P/C lacking variation in their program concept, construction and execution, that's plainly untrue.

angi

If I'm honest I think G/P made too many errors this season with both material and packaging. Last season both their RD and FD were impeccably choreographed and packaged, they had some of the best costumes out there and their programs were so strong and exciting. "Both sides now" was the peak of their careers. This season the RD was underwhelming and the costumes went into the "Blades Of Glory" territory, especially compared to the rest of the field, and the FD was a collection of recycled moves from "Vincent" and "Both Sides Now" and their costumes today were unflattering and destructing at least to my eyes. It's a shame because up until the team event it slightly felt like they can be in the conversation for Bronze and they ended up just on spot higher than in 2018.

Desperado

I liked their new FD costumes but hated the RD orange jumpsuits. Both programs were underwhelming to me. I feel bad for them losing so many places. Not the swan song they wanted, I’m sure. I know they haven’t said anything, but The Long and Winding Road always felt like a goodbye to me.

Janef

Well icedance unfolded more or less as I thought it would. I thought Madison and Evan looked mad in the backstage area. It sucks only 3 medals and they deserved to be on it also. Our teams had mistakes and P:p long program I didn’t mind in the end (still feel too much same though) they really need a refresh but they probably won’t at this point. It must have been hard preparing for these games with all the testing and no crowds etc. The atmosphere just isn’t the same but it appears they still enjoy it anyways. Wonder what our teams will do going forward. I just wish that p:p if it’s the last performance they had gone out with more of a bang kinda like Tessa and Scott did.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Piper Gilles made an introspective post on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaOP6KlgWMy/

4 years of sweat, love and tears went into preparation for what we had hoped would be our “Olympic Moment”. Things obviously didn’t go our way, but we never lost our fight to succeed.

I always thought that bringing home a medal would make me a True Olympian. Now, I don’t believe that to be true. Being an Olympian to me now is embracing all aspects of sport which include disappointment. Choosing to pick yourself up to fight on is just as inspiring. I hope the next generation can look at our performances and say one day I hope to have as much fight as them. This isn’t the last of us and I can’t wait for what’s to come!!

Paul replied "onwards and upwards 🙌🏼"

Sylvia

TBD
Lauriault/Le Gac performed in the “Montréal en Lumière” outdoor ice shows in late February through this weekend and have shared some photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaxSy32uIPm/

Other IAM teams that performed were Fabbri/Ayer, Emmy Bronsard/Jacob Richmond (teamed up just for these shows?), and Hannah Lim/Ye Quan (scheduled to compete next at Junior Worlds for South Korea).

dramagrrl

Does anyone know if Jacob Richmond is a potential competitive partner for Emmy (i.e. not just for these shows)?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
According to Paul at outsports and says he does have a third Olympics in sight but him and Piper will do some professional / non-scoring skating in the meantime.

He went to the Olympics in 2010, so it would be his fourth.

clairecloutier

I got a chance to speak with Lajoie/Lagha this week about their programs, Olympic experience, and hopes at Worlds:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I got a chance to speak with Lajoie/Lagha this week about their programs, Olympic experience, and hopes at Worlds:

Thanks. Good read. It was really good to hear the motivation and expectation behind this program. I have long had the feeling Romain has an affinity for this team so not surprised to read he does their choreography. At some point MF is going to have to inject herself into it but I think this program was a great building block, if for nothing else but their cardio ;)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well done to D'Alessandro/Waddell and Bashynska/Beaumont for holding onto silver & bronze in the final standings. I hope they both move up to senior next season. Canadian ice dance needs them on the senior level to mix things up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information